Shooters and Fishers Party

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

AlanF

Shooters and Fishers Party

#1 Postby AlanF » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:06 am

My information is that the Shooters and Fishers Party will be running for Upper House seats in Federal Parliament next election. Up till now its been just NSW Parliament where shooters have been represented. This could be a very good thing for shooting if we're able to use our Senate votes to support our sport. There is a new website here : http://shootersandfishers.org.au/. Don't take my word for it - read it, discuss it. If anyone has reliable inside knowledge about the SFP we'd appreciate hearing about it.

Alan

Razer

#2 Postby Razer » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:52 pm

Alan,it is a pity that you cannot get a response to this thread.
Politics determine what we lose or gain, particularly regards firearm ownership and use.
I think sometimes that shooters are too complacent and take for granted that they will always will be able to own firearms.
The Shooters Party in NSW has achieved a lot for shooters and it would benefit ALL states to get behind their shooting organisations[or at least become a financial member] and form a political party that will attract shooters votes. You don't need a majority as some think, just one representative can hold the balance of power and also introduce ideas for changes in a way that non shooter politicians will understand.
My wife doesn't shoot yet she recognizes that it plays an important role in the economy,saves the government heaps in feral animal control,keeps me happy :wink: and so votes for the Shooters Party which is in the Upper House so you still get to vote for the Lower House for who ever you choose[as long as it's not "Green"].
My advice would be for all shooters to get involved,join an organisation and protect your sport, livelihood or what ever you need a firearm for.
If you don't you support an organisation you forfeit your right to criticize what ever is dished out.
Please think about it[but not for too long].
Regards,
Ray.

CodeBasher

#3 Postby CodeBasher » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:04 am

This is something I'll certainly support. Especially as tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-dum otherwise known as Liberal and Labor certainly don't have our interests anywhere on their agendas..

ger

#4 Postby ger » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:06 pm

Long ago I thought that one of the objectives of the NRAA (I refer to the organisational entity) would be to lobby politicians at a national/federal level on behalf of its members (whatever they are). This doesn't appear to be the case however, and this became clear to me when I started thinking about why it was headquartered in Queensland instead of Canberra - which is the logical place to be if you wish to conduct business with federal politicians. I would have thought so anyway.

I am not aware of any contact by anyone affiliated with our particular shooting discipline at a federal level in support of shooting. I imagine the SSAA and others would be but I am not part of their association.

Being a relative newcomer however (to shooting), it also seems to me that we have few friends within the federal arena. At least any who would openly consider our case(s). So I guess we have to accept whatever we can find in the way of support at State or Territory level.

Here in the ACT there are a couple of politicians who do actually support us in principle (on both sides but not, I think, the Greens) but there are other more interesting fish to fry. I'm not sure what it would take to have shooting raise into view of the radar here. I can't speak for anyone else but instinctively I think it's best here to hover around at periscope depth and keep a relatively low profile. And hope no-one buggers things up again by doing something stupid.

Having said that, I would personally support any effort at political lobbying elsewhere (the States specifically - I am constantly reminded that the ACT is _not_ a "State" ;-) Sadly, I can't vote for the Shooter's Party in NSW and there isn't one in the ACT! :-(
Seriously, I see this as another important factor in the equation of survival beyond say 2020. There are others.

My 2 cents worth.

Geoff.

Peter Hulett

#5 Postby Peter Hulett » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:16 pm

My information about the shooters party in NSW is second hand but I believe that it suffers from the same disease as the shooting movement in general. There are factions within shooting and the various disciplines do support their own cause, often to the detriment of the other disciplines, rather than working together. I believe that one example is the Port Macquarie shooting complex. We cannot become politically strong whilst we are divided.

StevenB

#6 Postby StevenB » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:39 am

weren't they going to become the outdoor recreation party, joining the forces of the shooters party, fishing ,horse riding, 4WDing and camping etc?

timothi3197

#7 Postby timothi3197 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:08 pm

ger wrote:Long ago I thought that one of the objectives of the NRAA (I refer to the organisational entity) would be to lobby politicians at a national/federal level on behalf of its members (whatever they are). This doesn't appear to be the case however, and this became clear to me when I started thinking about why it was headquartered in Queensland instead of Canberra - which is the logical place to be if you wish to conduct business with federal politicians.

My 2 cents worth.

Geoff.

They do appear to be a bit quiet where it counts, I pay less fees combined to two other organisations and get better representation.

Just my two cents worth as well.

Return to “General Forum”