importing

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

marc870

importing

#1 Postby marc870 » Sun May 30, 2010 12:00 pm

Hi guys,
im looking at importing an air rifle from the states, does anyone know what the import costs are?
any info would be great!
Cheers.

darke_peak

#2 Postby darke_peak » Sun May 30, 2010 2:16 pm

On the US side: you need to employ the services of a licenced firearms exporter. Expect to pay around US$400 for this service. For simplicity use this exporter to also arrange the freight/shipping, additional costs will apply.

On the Aus side (may vary by state): prior to the export you will need to obtain a permit to acquire (State firearms branch), along with a B709a import certificate (Australian Customs Service document issued by Police firearms branch). These are normally valid for 1 month, so don't get them too early in the process (just before the firearm is ready to ship).

In short, the only time I have seen this being worthwhile is if it is a rare or custom firearm that can't be obtained locally. Although there is no law against importing firearms, I have found the police and customs don't want to deal with individuals and may request considerable justification before approving.

I applied last week for a B709a for 2 blank rifle barrels (22 rimfire) and my state police have requested the serial numbers of the firearms I intend to fit these to as well as a written request to justify the need. When I said one was for a friend they suggested I should get a dealers licence if it is not for personal use. This is absurd, in my state there are no restrictions on ownership of a rifle barrel, it does not even require a firearms licence, and even a 10 year old could not be declined the sale of a rifle barrel. I travel to the US several times per year and bring the items back in my checked luggage.

ecomeat

Importing from the USA

#3 Postby ecomeat » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:15 am

I am in the process of importing 2 x BAT actions (2nd one is a 3 Lug in 6ppc LB,RP,LE to help defray costs so it will eventually be offered for sale) and my US "exporter" is charging $250 per item, + 5% of the export value, with a minimum fee of US$500-00 in total. Plus freight of course........+ GST and Customs costs when they get here.

darke_peak

#4 Postby darke_peak » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:25 am

That would be about right Ecomeat, the cheapest I found was $400 minimum for 1 firearm (or action).

Don't get caught importing firearms with the intention of selling them to make money. I was warned by our State firearms branch (Police) that they would be watching my list of registered firearms to make sure I didn't sell any that I brought back in within a reasonable time frame. They said I would need a dealers licence if I intend to onsell the action(s), and they would prosecute me if I was selling them in new condition. I did sell one, but waited 9 months before doing so, and only after the action had been registered as a specific calibre.

timothi3197

#5 Postby timothi3197 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:54 pm

On that line but a bit off topic, also be aware that in the past firearms services have looked at individuals that have a high turnover in firearms just in Australia, there are two down here that I know are being looked at as they haven't a dealers licence but are wheeling and dealing on a regular basis(I don't care but apparently others do).

Surgeon

#6 Postby Surgeon » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:02 pm

I think this is required in NSW:

51B Selling firearms on an ongoing basis

(1) Offence
A person must not contravene section 51 on 3 or more separate occasions over any consecutive period of 12 months.

Maximum penalty: imprisonment for 20 years.

Return to “General Forum”