scoring

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

LEE .308

Rules for spectaors and those that have finished firing.

#16 Postby LEE .308 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:34 pm

Just reading some of these posts and thought however small and short my experience is, there are a few observations I have made where I have have gone looking in the S.S.R.'s for rules and not found any covering the conduct of shooters and spectators.
In relation to this subject of shots being missed by scorers, 3 times it has happened to me on three different occasions and by three different scorers.
The common factor in all three cases, was shooters who have finished firing and scoring being are too eager to see the scores of following competitors, which is fine. However as a social sport the temptation for a chat with the scorer was too great to resist and the scorer had missed a shot. Luckily the check scorer was watching and the system didn't fail. I guess all I'm saying is perhaps there should be a rule introduced restricting shooters from returning to the mound or scoring boards and engaging in conversation with the scorers be it friendly or otherwise, once they have signed their card and whilst there are shooters on the mound. I know there is a rule pertaining to protests and alike but it doesn't address the friendly chat.
This would go a long way towards removing distractions for the scorers and let them get on with the job at hand, hence less missed shots and happier shooters.
Not having a wine its just a thought.
Me personally, I just like to have fun when out there and whilst supporting a competitive view, at the end of the day the level of shooting that I can compete, is by no means sheep station quality. But to the people that do have, and shoot for sheep stations then it would probably be welcomed. :D
Lee O'Keefe
Secretary
Sandford Rifle Club
Tas
http://sandfordrifleclub.com.au/

AlanF

#17 Postby AlanF » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:54 pm

Lee,

Very conscientious of you to look into this problem this early in your career.

While it isn't clearly spelled out in the rules, it is becoming almost universally accepted that the scorer should position themselves close to the shooter (Rule 4.1.3.), while the blackboard and check scorer are a few metres further back. Good ROs will enforce this. This makes it awkward for the check scorer if he loses concentration by chatting, so he's discouraged from doing it. If I'm check scoring and miss something because of a "jabberer" I will generally give them a strong hint, unless of course its the RO. :D

Alan

LEE .308

#18 Postby LEE .308 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:27 pm

Hiya Alan,
Yep as you say, I myself try and take up position as a scorer half way between shooter and check scorer to save distractions and to give the shooter every chance of hearing me. As a check scorer I'm still in the phase of meeting people from other clubs and don't wish to ruffle any feathers. Sort of just try to give away very subtle hints that I'm busy. :D
Lee O'Keefe

Secretary

Sandford Rifle Club

Tas

http://sandfordrifleclub.com.au/

Woody_rod

#19 Postby Woody_rod » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:24 am

I have witnessed many times at the WARA Queens (something they did get right for a change), the CRO telling people to literally piss off from talking to the scorers / check scorers.

It is ultimately the shooters responsibility to make sure the score is correct. It is the scorers job to pay attention and to write the correct score down.

Never fire your next shot unless you agree with the previous score, that is very clear in the SSR's.

The difficulty of hearing impaired people can be a problem. Scorers need to be ingenious about how they make sure the shooter knows what the score is: I often shout the score, but also hold up the appropriate number of fingers to show them (if needed). One guy in WA is legitimately deaf and must look at you to see your lips moving - no humour intended.

Return to “General Forum”