Double Discipline shooting

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

actionclear

#16 Postby actionclear » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:45 am

A downfall for shooting Target rifle and F class....

which way do I wind for wind! :shock:
Linda

.308 Scoped Rifle

Western Australia.

AlanF

#17 Postby AlanF » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:58 am

Linda,

I believe there are a few scope brands (e.g. Zeiss) which actually wind the same way as most TR sights, and vice versa (e.g. Anschutz(?)). So there are options to overcome the confusion.

Alan

bartman007

But how many disciplines will be allowed for each shooter???

#18 Postby bartman007 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:49 am

Hi All,

This is something that I have thought about too, as a way to increase the numbers in F-Open at OPM's, as well as enjoy a competitive shoot in F-Std.

As mentioned above:
1. Time to do your duty of scoring [on both boards]. Most OPM's I've been to get around 7 to 8 shooters per board. With order changes, you may be required to score/check score, when you are meant to be shooting on another target. Gets pretty messy. At the Queens, the organisers would be in quite a pickle. They get busy enough as it is :(

2. You do get some small advantage, in that you learn the wind for that range and get your elevation spot on! You may choose to 'sacrifice' your first discipline, in the hope of improving your chances in the second.

Is this considered fair? e.g. I might shoot F-Open with my 7.62, then shoot F-Std second, which means I don't have to worry about sighters as I should have the wind and elevation spot on! Giving me an unfair advantage over the other F-Std competitors.

Maybe we introduce a rule, that you don't get sighters for your second shoot at that range :) ??? or maybe only 1 sighter ???

Maybe we blind fold the shooter, spin them around 5 times, then tell them to get down and shoot. That might even it up :)

3. How many disciplines can one shooter enter in? 2 is a stretch, however 3 would be stretching the friendship too far? Three is achievable depending on the gear you have available, but maintaining your obligations to range activities may be unachievable, or compromise your ability to do it properly. Impacting other shooters in the process.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy to give it a go. However, I think there are issues that should be addressed prior to it being allowed.

Roll on change........

Bartman

RDavies

#19 Postby RDavies » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:59 pm

If they use a different rifle I think it will be OK, their is not much chance their F Open gun will have the same wind drift as their F std gun.

One thing we wouldnt want to see is someone zeroing their rifles in F Open, then retiring after a few shots each range once their gun is sighted/barrel fouled.
Another option is if they can demostrate that they are shooting a different load/bullet, such as an F TR heavy bullet load, then it will bump up F Open numbers.

actionclear

#20 Postby actionclear » Wed May 18, 2011 6:05 pm

Well after attending a prize meeting where a shooter on our board shot both service and target rifle, I have changed my mind.

It becomes a huge burden on the other shooters to step in and score for the shooter. Although we were thanked for covering the dual shooters scoring, we were forever either stuck on scoring, or running for our gear so we could shoot.

We had 7 shooters on our board.
Linda

.308 Scoped Rifle

Western Australia.

Return to “General Forum”