Anzac Rifle Range Closure

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Tman

Anzac Rifle Range Closure

#1 Postby Tman » Sun May 15, 2011 1:24 am

Hi Guys, You might or might not be aware of recent events with regard to the termination of usage of Anzac Rifle Range, Sydney, as of the 31st of October 2011, especially with regard to Drummoyne RSL Pistol Club, the Malabar Riding School, the Sporting Shooters Association and the Sydney Model Aero Club.

The NSWRA and the Small Bore Association that use the range at this time are under a different agreement, but their future will no doubtedly be the same, with all users off the range in the not-too distant future, unless a miracle were to occur.

The gravity of this for shooting in Sydney is dire, to say the least, if the following is anything to go on, from a notice from the NSWRA on the 29th of April, as follows;

29th APRIL 2011.
IMPORTANT NOTICE TO ALL MEMBERS OF N.S.W.R.A.
C.c. ALL CLUBS AND DISTRICT ASSOCIATIONS AFFILIATED TO N.S.W.R.A.
SUBJECT: TERMINATION OF LICENCES TO RANGE USERS OF ANZAC
RIFLE RANGE MALABAR.
Yesterday, Thursday 28th April 2011, I had a meeting with the owners of the Anzac Rifle
Range Malabar ( i.e., The Commonwealth) represented by Adrian Kirk of Dept of Finance
and Deregulation and Trevor Abbott (Assistant Director, Property Branch) in my office at
Anzac Range.
At this meeting I was informed by Adrian Kirk that under the Licenses granted to Range
Users by the Commonwealth for occupancy of Anzac Rifle Range, the “Notice of
Termination” had been issued to the following users in accordance with aforementioned
License Agreement. The termination date effective on the 31st October this year (2011).
1. Drummoyne RSL Pistol Club.
2. Malabar Riding School.
3. SSAA.
4. Sydney Model Aero Club.
NSWRA and NSW Small-Bore and Air Rifle Association are at this point in time unaffected
by these termination notices due to a relocation clause included in our license.
I was advised by Adrian Kirk that the Commonwealth was in consideration of appointing a
Consultant to act in co-operation with us with the end result of identifying a suitable alternate
site for us to continue our shooting activities.
The termination of activities of the aforementioned users has been brought about on the
advice of Comcare and the direction of the Special Minister of State, Gary Gray, due to the
continuing contamination of the complex by asbestos and the obligation by the
Commonwealth to implement a “Remediation Action Plan” to manage the contamination.
Further meetings with the Commonwealth are anticipated in the short term to determine our
future. I will keep you all fully informed as we move in that direction.

John Fitzgerald, Chairman NSWRA

The impact of this on Field Class in Sydney is not good, given its steady growth at ANZAC, especially with the NSW Queens in September, this possibly being the last Queens to be shot in Sydney ever, and to think that last year they celebrated 150 years of shooting!

Watch this space!!

Ben

AlanF

#2 Postby AlanF » Sun May 15, 2011 11:07 am

Ben,

Its a real shame about ANZAC range. Its the best naturally endowed location of any range I've been to - magnificent panorama from the 800 mound (but much taller flag poles would be handy :D ).

Do you know where things are at with regards an alternative location for the NSWRA?

Alan

Tman

ANZAC Rifle Range

#3 Postby Tman » Sun May 15, 2011 1:47 pm

Alan, It is my understanding from the past that an alternative venue was part of the deal if the range was to close, originally Holdsworthy was looked at, and $9 Million was put aside in the Federation Fund back in 2000, to build a new range, with new buildings and earthworks and electronic targets.
I actually saw the prelim drawings of the buildings, and all of this would have been a great range, and not far from ANZAC as well.

More recently, Holdsworthy was taken out of the equation, due to environmental impacts and the Army not supposedly wanting civilian shooters at Holdsworthy. It is interesting to think that prior to 1968 civilian shooters were at Holdsworthy.

The next supposed best option was at Cessnock, some three hours away from Sydney. You can imagine the reaction to that from Sydney shooters, it is like me wanting to play golf and I am told that I have to drive up to Newcastle, when I live in Sydney. It does not work.

An alternative venue with suitable safety zone requirements close to Sydney is yet to be found, and looking at the meeting notes from the other day, now the Government are saying that it is not their responsibility to find an alternative venue, either state or federal.

In the worst case scenario, we will have no range in the Sydney basin, Fullbore shooters will have to make a decision as to what they wish to do, if to continue at all in the sport, or to travel to Hornsby, the same can possibly be said of F Class, both long range disciplines.

The small bore range is under the same threat, but there are a number of ranges in and around Sydney, so the impact on them is less.

I have been shooting at this range since 1978, firstly in Fullbore, and then more recently changing across to Field Class, due to eyesight issues, I also shoot smallbore occasionally as well, at Woollahra. In the past I used to also shoot pistol, so I have spent a lot of time at this range as well as in the past travelling to prize meetings, but ANZAC is a special range and it will be sad let alone difficult to leave it after all these years, if it comes to pass that we have to leave.

One thing one learns from all of this, is not to trust any government and the promises that they make, this is a prime example of it.

Part of this move by the government is supposedly the presence of asbestos on the range, and other concerns, but the government is not forthcoming with the reports or information about this, and this adds a level of suspicion in to the whole thing.

When I find out more, I will post more information to the wider FClass community

Ben

RDavies

#4 Postby RDavies » Sun May 15, 2011 7:43 pm

The main hope is that there IS a relocation clause. Hilltop is one area which has been mentioned. I couldnt see Cessnock being chosen, as it is built up around the range, with houses 200yds away and only room for 7 targets. I was hoping the NSWRA could lease a rehabilitated mining area close to Cessnock. The only neighbors would be mines, so noise and space would not be an issue.

Tman

Hilltop Proposal

#5 Postby Tman » Sun May 15, 2011 11:30 pm

From what I have heard, for all intensive purposes, Hilltop is out as well, due to local community pressures and environmental impacts.

I made a call today to gain further information from the NSWRA side of things, that being that they have not received a notice to leave ANZAC as such, as compared to Drummoyne RSL Pistol Club, the Malabar Riding Club, the SSAA and the Model Aero Club, their agreement conditions stating that they have six month's notice, supposedly also from other information that I have received, the NSWRA and Smallbore would receive two week's notice to vacate, but this remains to be seen at this time. The NSWRA Chairman has put out a notice regarding those four groups and the 31st October deadline, but makes no reference to NSWRA or Smallbore and any conditions placed upon them. Part of this is the agreement conditions between the NSWRA and Smallbore with the Commonwealth/NSW governments being different to that of the other four users.

I would imagine the government would wish to finalise all of this in one go, only time will tell if NSWRA/Smallbore get a notice two weeks out, unless something else develops before then, but at this time an alternative venue is not forthcoming and various parties are saying that they are not required to find an alternative venue, they will assist in vacating the site, but no assistance in finding another venue.

Reading other information that I have received, the lines of responsibility for providing an alternative venue have become blurred, given that the range has been passed from one department to another over time since 1986 when this all started, from DoD to Dept of Admin Services, etc.

Typically when a government department does not deliver, the finger gets pointed at other departments who had previous custody/responsibility and this is a prime opportunity for this to happen, especially given the age of this back to 1986, changes of government etc.

When I know more, I will let you know. I will be at the range on the weekend to shoot 800m grade in the Fullbore, we are also hoping in the future to field a F Class team for grade as well, myself one of them on this team.

Ben

M12LRPV

#6 Postby M12LRPV » Mon May 16, 2011 8:28 am

The reality is that there are still a lot of unknowns.

There is a relocation clause with a 2 week notice.
So far there have only been letters sent to the groups previously mentioned.

The asbestos is a smokescreen. The site and run-off have been monitored for years with nothing alarming coming from it.

It's all very awkward.

Tman

Asbestos Results for Malabar

#7 Postby Tman » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:36 am

Hi All, just recently, under the Freedom of Information Act, the testing results for Asbestos were released by Comcare.

To see the results, Google 'Comcare Asbestos Anzac Rifle Range' where you will find a number of pages of test results and other information

Ben

M12LRPV

#8 Postby M12LRPV » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:32 am

Just to add to this. Back in the early 2000's (i think, it was fairly recent that's for sure) under the old government there was a study made where they drilled approximately 450 bore holes to a depth of 3m across the entire site.

There was not one piece of asbestos found. It's just not there in the fill.

It was previously believed by many that the results would be difficult to obtain by FOI. Michael Daley said to a group of us that it could cost 10's of thousands to get it.

It's my opinion but I believe that the ease of obtaining the test results via FOI is comcare washing it's hands of it seeing as they're the ones being used as the excuse for the closure. The clear results indicate that this is not safety related and it's just political prejudice.

From attending a local meeting it was very clear that the local's actually want the range there. They want it to stay exactly how it is. There is no enmity towards shooters and with this closure action the local federal member (Garrett) is actually defying his constituents wishes to push his own prejudices.

Razer

#9 Postby Razer » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:22 pm

It may not be the actual range that is supposedly contaminated by asbestos??
All the huts and main building are roofed in corrugated asbestos, and there are warning signs to that affect.

All the old huts [info needed here please] were, to the best of my knowledge, condemned for use some years ago??????????

If there is asbestos contamination on the actual range, then I can only suggest that all the horses that have been grazing there be subject to intense scientific scrutiny, as, on investigation they will undoubtedly find they have an anti-body in their blood which will be the saviour of humans suffering from asbestos related cancer.

Garrett has been pushing to close the range from the moment the 'Red/Greens' voted for him in that electorate.
I, personally, do not think that there has been enough media coverage on this as if it was not for the post here, I would still be unaware of what is happening at home range of the NSWRA, :shock:

M12LRPV

#10 Postby M12LRPV » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:31 pm

Razer wrote:It may not be the actual range that is supposedly contaminated by asbestos??
All the huts and main building are roofed in corrugated asbestos, and there are warning signs to that affect.

All the old huts [info needed here please] were, to the best of my knowledge, condemned for use some years ago??????????

If there is asbestos contamination on the actual range, then I can only suggest that all the horses that have been grazing there be subject to intense scientific scrutiny, as, on investigation they will undoubtedly find they have an anti-body in their blood which will be the saviour of humans suffering from asbestos related cancer.

Garrett has been pushing to close the range from the moment the 'Red/Greens' voted for him in that electorate.
I, personally, do not think that there has been enough media coverage on this as if it was not for the post here, I would still be unaware of what is happening at home range of the NSWRA, :shock:

Yes the huts are contaminated via their roofing materials and have been cordoned off.
Like most contamination though if you don't mess with it it's not an active risk.

The initial claim was that the activities could stir up asbestos from the fill on-site and therefore the activities have to cease. Except there is no asbestos in the fill so the activities cannot possible stir up anything.

Razer

#11 Postby Razer » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:38 pm

Check here < http://www.comcare.gov.au/__data/assets ... sion_2.pdf >

The main reason stated in the report 'is ' the asbestos in the buildings/pipes. Quote from report below.

'The reasons for my opinion are set out immediately below:
Persons who enter and use the site, access to which is unrestricted, may, be exposed to health risk(s) due to inhalation of
airbourne asbestos particulates from broken asbestos sheeting and pipes throughout the site, and within buildings on the site'

Not saying I agree with it. That is part of what is in the report.

M12LRPV

#12 Postby M12LRPV » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:44 pm

Razer wrote:Check here < http://www.comcare.gov.au/__data/assets ... sion_2.pdf >

The main reason stated in the report 'is ' the asbestos in the buildings/pipes.

Those action items have already been performed. They came in and put up barriers and warning signs to prevent access to the affected areas.

The closure came on the basis of what I said before
:(

Tman

#13 Postby Tman » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:49 pm

Yesterday, I contacted the reporter that did the original article in the Southern Courier, and provided him with the same details of the reports.

I am hoping that he will pursue this in some fashion, and the dubious levels of asbestos that Comcare and the Government have used to push their agenda along, as compared to those shown in the reports. Hopefully, something can be made of this to the advantage of the users of Malabar, along the lines of misleading and fraudulent behavior on the part of those that wish to remove the users from the range.

One further question needs to be asked, that being, based on the levels that have been reported, the professional opinion of a third party, an independent assessor, to assess the supposed risk that may exist, and what direction is available based on that.

The other possible option is that an independent assessment be undertaken by a impartial third party, along the lines of an expert witness that would appear in court, to either prove or disprove the potential risk that may exist.

Those parties that wish to remove the users off the range will call it anything they like in order to perpetuate a lie, hoping to get away with it, the trick to it is to catch those same parties out in their lie and bring it to the light of day.

RDavies

#14 Postby RDavies » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:23 pm

I heard there was a meeting between NRAA or NSWRA and politicians on the weekend and the mood was optomistic for the range. Any news on that?

Tman

#15 Postby Tman » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:04 pm

I was not out there today, but will be next weekend and will find out more.

Return to “General Forum”