Is the Belmont Rifle Range closing in 2018?

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

IanP

Re: Sound suppressors

#16 Postby IanP » Wed May 16, 2012 11:11 am

bartman007 wrote:Ian,

I didn't realise the NZ crew have managed to get suppressors approved.

It would be an excellent thing if they were introduced in OZ. OH&S would be an excellent driver, as we all know that a lot of the older folk in our sport suffer from some hearing loss.

Where do we go to get the ball rolling? Any idea's.

After all, we can limit its use to purely rifle range use only. That may give us a better chance of getting it over the line!

This is where the rubber meets the road, what do we do and how do we go about doing it?

The State Governments are responsible for the relevant Firearms Acts and Regulations and this is where we need to start. The state govs are also responsible for suburban developement so here is a suggestion for establishing some cooperation from them.

Where goverment allows and plans for surburbs to encroach or come in close proximity to an established rifle range and thereby create a noise problem for the new residential area the following is suggested.

1. The right for the rifle range and clubs to stay at the current location must be accepted.

2. Solutions to reduce the noise where required by suitably engineering out the problem, must be examined and funded by the state government.

3. If engineering solutions, (construction of baffles, etc) are unworkable then shooters should be provided with an option for fitting sound moderators to their target rifles.

4. Moderators to be selected and fitted at the shooters initial expense and the state goverment to fully compensate for the cost of such a device and fitting.

5. If the rifle range holds national competitions once or twice a year then an exemption for noise is to be granted to allow the use of rifles without moderators to be used.

I could go on but you get the idea, if the state gov wants to allow suburbia to nestle alongside a rifle range then cooperation and compensation is needed to reduce the noise levels!

To those who like the unresticted boom/crack of a rifle I make the following observation.

I like the sound of unrestricted V8 engines and love the sound of 1000cc superbikes but worse luck I have to run mufflers to coexist in the community!

Ian

Return to “General Forum”