New to F class

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Jolly

New to F class

#1 Postby Jolly » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:45 pm

G'day guy's..

Have just signed up to the forum and wanted to say hello, i grew up shooting rabits, foxes and roo's as a kid east of Perth and also done a bit of clay target shooting with the shoty. I ended up selling my guns in the mid 90's (Big mistake) and have just gotten back into it again with the purchase of a Tikka T3 varmint stainless 308, a Marlin 22-XT and a Ruger Gunsite Scout.
I am know living up in Darwin and went to my first F Class shoot at the Darwin Rifle Club about 5 weeks ago (Work commitments have not allowed me to get back) and will be there again with bells on on the 21st to give it another crack, hoping i can than get down more regularly after that.

My first shoot was at the minimum range of 300mtrs which i scored a 103 at (First group of 48 let me down a bit), my next visit will be at 800mtrs so will be a bit of a test as i have not shot that distance before.

I have been loading my own HBC's but have not had enough of a chance to devolop a good performing load as yet, im hoping to get down the range before hand and do some load testing and then shoot some groups from 100 out to 500 to give me some projectory info, hopefully then i can plot the drop out to 800.

Anyway just thought i'd introduce myself..any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

regards

Josh

ecomeat

#2 Postby ecomeat » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:56 pm

Welcome aboard, Jolly.
Like you, just 12 mths ago I was a "newbie", who had grown up shooting foxes, rabbits, wild dogs, roos etc, then gave it away for a while and sold most rifles. Got back into shooting with a passion about 4 years ago, and decided to have a crack at F Class for the first time just over a year ago when I got my new toy going (6 x 47 Lapua on a BAT left hand action)
I was certainly a little bit quiet the first half dozen or so times I shot, while still trying to "work it all out". We shoot TR and F Class side by side so have to score both, basically every time we shoot. It took half a dozen visits to the range before I was really confident that I was doing it (both marking in the butts, and scoring on the mound) for both disciplines correctly. Its a reality that it IS a little confusing, so dont let that worry you.
What I have found is that there are some really, really good folks involved in both TR and F Class, who will get to be firm friends, as well as good competition, and who will happily talk guns, loads, long range all day if you want to.
I havent met anyone yet down here in SE Qld with their head too firmly entrenched in their nether regions.......they simply cant hold that position for long due to wind, wind, wind and low scores for everybody occasionally. Anyone with too high an opinion of themselves soon gets bought back to earth by mother nature and Murphys Law
I encourage you to ask as many questions from your fellow shooters as you can, remain interested in their answers, and just enjoy one of the best sports going. F Class seems to be gaining in popularity all over Australia, so be prepared to be joined by more and more shooters looking to "have a crack" at long range shooting for the first time. I am pretty confident that many will get hooked on this great sport just like you and I.
There are some really good value Ballistics Programs available which will give you pretty accurate idea of where your loads should shoot from 300 yds to 1000 yds, provided you have a reasonable idea of the muzzle velocity of your load. I can get "in the black" out to 1000 yds every single time, just using a computer programme on my Ipad called Ballistic FTE. There are many others and they all do the same thing, basically.
Happy shooting, and i am sure you will really enjoy the steady improvement in your scores as you get more practise, and get to know your rifle and loads better.
Ecomeat
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

orangegrove

#3 Postby orangegrove » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:22 am

If you every need help up in Darwin talk to Stuart Sluggett he shoots in Darwin F Class and is a really nice bloke

Southcape

#4 Postby Southcape » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:07 am

Welcome to the sport of rifle shooting. We were all new at some stage, so don't be afraid to ask questions.

I met a couple of the F Class guys from Darwin last year, so I know you will be well looked after. Do you plan on shooting the NT Queens?
Linda

Jolly

#5 Postby Jolly » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:07 am

Thankyou for the welcome guy's and gal's..

I will keep an eye out for Stewart when down there next Saturday, i don't remember meeting him on my first visit but could well have (Met quiet a few people that day).

Linda, i was hoping to get involved but yet again work has interupted my social life :(
I work in the mining industry which involves me being away quiet a bit (Work 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off) and i happen to be away whilst Queens is on, i have not been to a Queen's before but no the history of it so will ensure that i have time off for next years.

Am looking forward to meeting Bob Dyer also, would be very interseting to chat with him and soak up his knowledge.

I have organised a chrono through the SSAA for next Friday so will get down with some loads and do a bit of testing at 300mtrs, hopefully get something sorted out for Saturday's shoot. which will allow me to get a drop chart together.

regards

Josh

Return to “General Forum”