New member from central Qld.

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Dave E

New member from central Qld.

#1 Postby Dave E » Sat May 31, 2014 8:54 am

Hi all. I just thought i'd drop in and add a few lines to introduce myself. I have been reading your forums for some time now, so thought it was time to join. I'm 61 and i belong to the Marian rifle club and shoot at the Mt. Vince range near Mackay. I only started shooting last August with a rifle that was lent to me until i could have one built. I started shooting fullbore but kept getting extreme pain in my left elbow from an old injury. It was while i was shooting a few months back that i came off the mound grumbling about the pain in my left elbow, that one of the old hands suggested that i may have to keep experimenting with a way that was comfortable for me and it could take several years to find it. I decided then and there i wasn't going to put up with this pain for another second, so converted over to F class standard. I flew to Bris. a few days later to visit the crew at BRT and the rest they say is history !!

My rig is as follows :- Barnard P action with a 1 in 13 twist True Flite barrel. The rifle was built by Phil Mastin with one of his F class stocks. It's fitted with a March 5x-40x56 scope. I'm using a Farley coaxial front rest and a Seb rear rest. I reload all my own ammo and have only just ventured in to neck turning.

As i mentioned before, i have been reading your forum for a while and found it fantastic !! I really hope some of you guys can help this newbie as I have so many questions to ask !! Thanks in advance. Cheers...Dave. :D
Do it right, do it once !!

AlanF

#2 Postby AlanF » Sat May 31, 2014 2:50 pm

Hello Dave. There are plenty of people here with experience in all aspects of F-Class. Just ask a question and wait for the responses. Looks like you've had good advice with your equipment - all good quality stuff.

Alan

Dave E

#3 Postby Dave E » Sat May 31, 2014 4:34 pm

Hi Alan,
Yes, i always try to have good quality gear but it's been an expensive process i'd have to admit !! Problem is, once i start buying....i can't stop !! Hehehe. :cry: Cheers.

DannyS

#4 Postby DannyS » Sat May 31, 2014 6:59 pm

Welcome aboard Dave, sounds like you have the right gear, now for the fun part, out there having a go.

I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Cheers
Danny

Dave E

#5 Postby Dave E » Sat May 31, 2014 7:38 pm

Thanks Danny. At the risk of sounding and behaving like a newbie, i'm going to have a lot of questions to ask eventually. :roll:

DannyS

#6 Postby DannyS » Sat May 31, 2014 9:02 pm

Dave , been doing for a while, still asking questions. If you don't ask you don't get.

There is a huge amount of knowledge out there, this forum can help you access it.

But the best bit is getting out there, going to shoots and making friends.

Cheers
Danny

Dave E

#7 Postby Dave E » Sat May 31, 2014 10:00 pm

Yes mate, i have a lot to learn !! Having good gear is one thing but knowing how to use it is quite another. I have been reading this forum for a while after stumbling across it a few months ago. It's rather humbling to be talking to people who have so much knowledge on the subject !! The main problem i have is shared by a lot of guys at our range and that is practise...or the lack of it. We turn up on a Sunday morn, shoot 2 rounds (24 shots) pack up and go home for another week. Tomorrow i am participating in a range officers course and hopefully that will enable a few of us to be able to use the range on a Saturday for that much needed practise. I haven't entered any competitions yet, preferring to keep a low profile while i get some experience and a bit more knowledge. I'm really looking forward to learning as much as i can from reading the forum and asking you guys a lot of questions. Cheers.

Paul Janzso

#8 Postby Paul Janzso » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:57 am

Hi Dave
See you at the range and ask away.
Cheers
Paul
Time's a wasted wot's not spent shooti'n BARNARD 300WSM's

gone

#9 Postby gone » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:43 pm

Dave E wrote: The main problem i have is shared by a lot of guys at our range and that is practise...or the lack of it. We turn up on a Sunday morn, shoot 2 rounds (24 shots) pack up and go home for another week. Cheers.

Hi Dave, welcome aboard. Please consider entering as many competitions as you can they have always said to me "a queens competition" is as good as a years shooting weekends.

Daryl.

Southcape

#10 Postby Southcape » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:09 pm

Don't be afraid to enter a Queens without much experience. You will learn more during these 3-4 day matches than you will in a whole year of shooting Sunday's.

We as shooters don't bite, and if you ask for help and advise on the range, you will receive it. There is the issue of "coaching on the mound" in an official match. But we also know that we don't let new shooters just flap in the breeze. The saying "Not playing for sheep stations" has been heard on many ranges. Having someone watch you shoot and offering advice is valuable and how we learn.
Watching the good shooters shoot, also offers plenty of visual cues. What gear are they using, how do they set up, what are they watching...

Just remember...have fun!

:D
Linda

Dave E

#11 Postby Dave E » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:29 pm

Thanks Darryl and Southcape. Since moving over to F Class, my learning curve is starting to head almost vertical !! I have picked a lot of clues just reading the forum and i'm starting to get my head around it all slowly but surely. At 61, my only regret is that i didn't take up the sport until about a year ago. I'm sure, between you guys and the fellas at my range, my accuracy and knowledge is going to surge ahead !! Thanks for the warm welcome and i hope to meet up with you in the forum again, or better still, on a range somewhere !!
Cheers....Dave.

Return to “General Forum”