Barnard or Millennium?

If you shoot full-bore, then you're welcome to use this forum to discuss your sport.

Moderator: Mod

Phil.D

Barnard or Millennium?

#1 Postby Phil.D » Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:55 pm

Hi all, I am looking at getting into Target Rifle and have two choices a Barnard P action and a CG Millennium action both in good condition with 30" barrels and 1 in 12 twist, any thoughts on which would be the better buy? both 308
thanks Phil

jasmay

Re: Barnard or Millennium?

#2 Postby jasmay » Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:30 pm

Hands down Barnard….

bobped

#3 Postby bobped » Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:30 am

I've got both actions, both a Millennium and a Barnard. Had them for years. Both of them have been very good to me, and when you get them going properly both are capable of shooting brilliantly.
In the end, I'd plonk for the Barnard, mainly for its simplicity. The bedding system with an aluminum block is as easy as they come and requires little or no maintenance. Also every Barnard nowadays has been made to exactly the same dimensions. The bolt from one Barnard will fit in another Barnard action. My armorer doesn't even need the action to fit a new barrel, as he says every Barnard''s dimensions are so exactly the same that he doesn't need the action on hand to turn new barrel. I've actually taken the barrel out of one Barnard action and screwed it into another. Headspace was exactly the same, sight it in and start shooting.

The Millennium was brilliantly made and a lovely action. Mine won me a lot of competitions. However in the long term there are often problems with the "rubber" bedding. If you treat the bedding wrongly and over or under tighten, things can go wrong. The bedding system doesn't tolerate heavy barrels. Halberg and Hastie, the original manufacturers in New Zealand no longer operate. Spare parts are hard to come by. Mike Collings in NZ is the only one I know who does any work on Millenniums now.

Overall, I love them both but given your choice, I'd have to go for the Barnard.

Phil.D

#4 Postby Phil.D » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:38 pm

Ok looks like the Barnard is the go.
Thanks for all the info

scott/r

#5 Postby scott/r » Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:43 am

Phil.D wrote:Ok looks like the Barnard is the go.
Thanks for all the info

Not necessarily. Another factor to consider between the two is if you wish to shoot with the rifle on your shoulder the whole time or not. With my barnard, I struggle reloading with the rifle on my shoulder, but it's very comfortable with my quadlock, which is basically the same action as the gc, as the reloading port is about an inch closer to the shooter than the Barnard's. They are both in exactly the same stocks as well, so the difference is in the action.

Phil.D

#6 Postby Phil.D » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:08 pm

I'm taking them both out for a shot this week I will keep that in mind. Thanks

joanne.doherty

#7 Postby joanne.doherty » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:50 pm

Bobped,
Would you have contact details for Mike Collings in NZ?

Tim L

#8 Postby Tim L » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:18 pm

Have you consideted Peter Bevans LMB actions?
Australian made and an outstanding action.

bobped

#9 Postby bobped » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:52 pm

Attention Joanne Doherty
I've sent you a private message re Mike & Di's Email address.
Cheers
Bobped

Return to “Full-bore/Target Rifle”