first shots program

We want to hear what your club is doing to bring in new members. Tell us what works, and give credit to those who are making the effort.

Moderator: Mod

stu_bear2002

first shots program

#1 Postby stu_bear2002 » Wed May 20, 2009 7:42 am

I've only seen programs like this a few times in Australia, here is the USA's take on it which shows how to give the media's opinion on firearms and shooting in general a new perspective by getting them involved in the sport.
http://shootingindustry.com/Pages/FirstShots_MediaDay09.html
Running more programs like these surely couldn't do the sport any harm and could possibly boost our numbers on the mound.
Cheers Stuey
Stiller/holeshot .22LR
Bruno mod2(sleeved) .22LR
Rem7(sleeved) 6mmBR and 6mm Dasher
Stolle panda 6PPC
Winchester 101 12g

timothi3197

#2 Postby timothi3197 » Wed May 20, 2009 10:34 am

Good link more of this needs to be done, whilst the SSAA (don't throw too many eggs guys) actively seeks new members and influences public opinion the NRA don't seem to be overly proactive on the issue(maybe I don't look in the right places). The NRA does indirectly benefit from the SSAA's efforts.

Numbers on the mound:

(Bear in mind I am only relatively new at this club and still don't have much sway, I can only suggest- I accept that I am the newcomer and they don't have to change just to suit me, it is cool. There is a lot of help available to newcomers in our club but we don't promote ourselves to the public very well, we just sort of wait for people to stumble across us)

There is a big push here for new people to start in target rifle, this is a very disciplined sport and many aren't going to hang around for months before they see respectable scores. I persisted for over a year was getting reasonable scores but didn't get real enthusiastic and was about to leave it, until I put a scope on my omark and had a possible within a month.

I also tried to push the possibility of an adult education(I don't know if you lot have adult ed in other states) course aimed at the middle aged person, i.e. $65 and six weekends(to get a pattern happening and people returning) as an introduction to say five people but it was felt we didn't have the resources at the time. I will raise it again soon but suspect it will be mostly my work. You have to reach out to the general public and let them know you are there, yes you will get some nutters but they will disappear eventually.

I may be moving interstate in approx six months so worry that I won't be about to see what I may start finish(it is a possibility it may never get off the ground either).

In big letters: I do appreciate some clubs are already making the effort so don't think I am putting everyone down and the most supportive of change is also the oldest member so blinkers aren't age dependant..

johnk

#3 Postby johnk » Wed May 20, 2009 11:04 am

Back some time now - OK, a long time, well before Port Arthur - the Belmont Shooting Complex held annual media days on the site for radio, TV etc. They were set up in teams & cycled through at least 4 of fullbore, smallbore, shotgun, pistol & a SSAA event, finishing with a barbecue & trophy presentation. The most enthusiastic participant was always channel 7 who provided getting on for a third of all participants. Police media branch weren't too foul either.

It was amazing how many in the industry had firearm affiliation & how many more were willing to give it a shot. Everybody had a great time, but nobody every bought a recorder or camera & nothing ever appeared on the screen, airways or in print.

This is why editors are paid more - to swallow hard & do what the owners want done.

These days, QRA supports a journalist & gets a regular good publicity in regional & community newspapers.

stu_bear2002

#4 Postby stu_bear2002 » Wed May 20, 2009 8:07 pm

These days, QRA supports a journalist & gets a regular good publicity in regional & community newspapers

I could also add that the only time there is anything positive in the mainstream media about the shooting sports is around the finals of the Olympics or commonwealth games and then and only then if an Aussie happens to make it into the finals.
I can still clearly remember volunteering at the wellsford range during the c/wealth games and noticed the lack of coverage from all aspects of the media.
Stiller/holeshot .22LR
Bruno mod2(sleeved) .22LR
Rem7(sleeved) 6mmBR and 6mm Dasher
Stolle panda 6PPC
Winchester 101 12g

Return to “Helping F-Class to Grow”