Class Confusion?? Is there a simple guide available?

We want to hear what your club is doing to bring in new members. Tell us what works, and give credit to those who are making the effort.

Moderator: Mod

CodeBasher

Class Confusion?? Is there a simple guide available?

#1 Postby CodeBasher » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:30 pm

Here is my dilemma.

I've been trying to clarify actual class differences in simple introductory terms the basic layman can understand right off the bat. The more I read the more confusing this entire class of shooting seems to get.

So here goes what I know thus far (forgive my ignorance)

All shooting targets at 300 to 1000 yards, no muzzle brakes and certain weight limits apply for all.

TR Class: Single shot bolt action .308/.223 with iron sights fired prone using only a sling.

F-Standard: Any .308/.223 single or multi-shot bolt action target or hunting rifle using a scope. Prone position using rear weight bag and a stand or bipod on the front.

F Class Open? What exactly is that? Every web page I read will say something different.

When I first started my mentor had me shooting iron sights with a bipod. Is that a discipline of some sorts? I don't know. I kind of liked it, the challenge of iron sights without paying for all the expensive leather gear of TR. (if it isn't I'm not suggesting creating one, this is not my point)

My point is.. To attract people to the sport it would be really nice if they actually got to know what the sport is? I'm a month in and I'm still trying to figure out what I'm actually engaging in, and what particular discipline I would eventually prefer.

I see many web sites and discussions on the finer points of targets, scoring, special accessories and special rifle parts that newbies have never heard of. But an "F/Class for idiots guide" for the curious and the newcomers would be really, really handy.

Sorry about the rant.

Cheers

Ernst

RMc

#2 Postby RMc » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:42 pm

TR Class: Single shot bolt action .308/.223 with iron sights fired prone using only a sling.

Correct rifle weight limit is 6.5kg

F-Standard: Any .308/.223 single or multi-shot bolt action target or hunting rifle using a scope. Prone position using rear weight bag and a stand or bipod on the front.

Correct rifle weight limit is 8.0kg including sight(ie scope)
if you have a fixed front bipod then 10kg

F Class Open? What exactly is that? Every web page I read will say something different.

This is not calibre restained, so any rifle up to an 8mm
weight limit of 10kg
fired of a rest

Hunting rifles are allowed, however they are usually non-compeditive to he target rifle

Starting new shooters off with iron sights and a front rest is sometimes used so that you only have to worry about obtaining the correct sight picture and trigger pull, without the complexity of also holding the rifle. Anytime you fix a scope or bipod to your rifle, or shoot if off a rest you will be classified as either FS or FO depending on Calibre.

All classes are shot from the prone position, although there is latitude to shoot of a bench if there are medical reasons.

If yoou like reading then a full set of the Standard Shooting Rules(SSR) can be downloaded from the NRAA web site.

Hope this helps

bruce moulds

#3 Postby bruce moulds » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:45 pm

codebasher,
i would suggest a look at ssr.
just for interest, you don't HAVE to use a scope in fclass. it is more that you are allowed to use one.
bruce.

CodeBasher

#4 Postby CodeBasher » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:40 pm

Oh I prefer a scope these days now :D.

Thanks for the heads up.

Once more experienced, maybe I should put my keyboard where my mouth is and create a brief introduction to F/Class for newcomers.

M12LRPV

#5 Postby M12LRPV » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:30 am

CodeBasher wrote:Oh I prefer a scope these days now :D.

Thanks for the heads up.

Once more experienced, maybe I should put my keyboard where my mouth is and create a brief introduction to F/Class for newcomers.

I was going to say to you that the question you need to ask yourself is "what do I want to shoot" Then you find the category that it falls under.

As mentioned open sights with a bipod is an introductory approach to T/R which may not suit you if you're really looking at all the f-class rigs thinking that that's what you want to do.

Some clubs will also bend the rules a bit within their own jurisdiction. e.g. our club puts guys with open sights and bipods in with T/R because the majority of us are F-Class shooters and these guys can't compete with the scopes.

IanP

#6 Postby IanP » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:55 am

CodeBasher, there is no need to reproduce the info you are after in this thread as it has been explained better and more completely in the rules which govern it.

If you look around this very site you are posting this thread on you will find links to what you need! http://www.ozfclass.com/rules/default.html Also on this site is info on how to go about f-class shooting in different states.

You could also take a look at http://www.safclass.com and the intro page would have given you an into into f-class shooting. SAfclass.com has many links and downloads available to shooters. New people coming into a sport continually ask the same questions and this is the reason intro pages are written and links are provided on websites.

Please use your internet connection and search options (google, etc) to provide answers that are readily available. When you find you cant locate the info you need then start a thread and ask the question. Type your question into Google http://www.google.com.au/webhp?hl=en and see how much info comes up.

Ian

Return to “Helping F-Class to Grow”