Something Needs to be Done

We want to hear what your club is doing to bring in new members. Tell us what works, and give credit to those who are making the effort.

Moderator: Mod

AlanF
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

#1 Postby AlanF » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:44 pm

I am genuinely worried that full bore shooting (and I include F-Class in that) in Australia is dying. Everywhere there is evidence of reduced membership numbers and event attendances, mainly in TR, but also in overall numbers i.e. growing F-Class numbers are not generally offsetting falling TR numbers. If the State Associations published the numbers I think it would make alarming reading.

So what are we going to do about it? (notice that I said "we" - I don't want to turn this into another NRAA bashing exercise). Are we content to just stand by and let it die? I see a few people in the sport who don't seem to care - the "it'll see me out" attitude. I'd be quite ashamed to be thinking like that. If we leave the sport in worse shape than when we entered it, then its not something to be proud of.

I hear some excuses about why things are going downhill e.g. stricter gun laws, range tenure problems, kids aren't tough enough, F-Class has buggered it :lol: etc. etc. But look at the SSAA! They're going ahead in leaps and bounds, despite being far worse off than us in terms of range availability.

Well I'll tell you what I think should be done. We need to bring in a consultant! Don't laugh - I'm serious. Someone with extensive sports administration experience, but importantly, no experience with full bore shooting. We need someone to take a fresh look at the whole thing, including the governing structures, from the outside, without any pre-conceived ideas and biases. Let's face it, we as shooters have had a lot of years to turn things around, but they've just kept getting worse - its time to admit that we don't have the answers, and should bring in an expert.

Alan
Last edited by AlanF on Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eddy
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

#2 Postby Eddy » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:00 pm

We looked at this in both of the clubs (TR) in which I've been involved, and one overwhelming issue stood out ... clashes with football!
Anything which takes place during football is strictly verboten in modern Australian society.
So we changed to Sunday arvo shoots and numbers climbed, doubled the size of the club in 12 - 18 months ... but then football followed ...
I'm pretty sure FClass has kept the Waikerie club alive at least.

OuttaAmmo

#3 Postby OuttaAmmo » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:04 pm

You're probably right.
FWIW, I was a SSAA member before an NRAA member. I shot(plinked?) at the SSAA range before I joined F Open. I still use the SSAA range a lot, due to the convenient benches, shade, 500m range(I can shoot 50-500 in consecutive shots) for load testing and that sort of thing. I'm probably lucky the two ranges are next door to each other.
Anyway, my point is, when I see others "plinking" at the SSAA range with their often expensive rifles(a lot in 308), I say to them they should give f class a go. I think a lot of people would enjoy it, they are just afraid of giving it a go.

Seddo

#4 Postby Seddo » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:25 pm

----------------------
Seddo

Moe City Rifle Club

OuttaAmmo

#5 Postby OuttaAmmo » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:37 pm

Quick

#6 Postby Quick » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:51 am

Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

Eddy

#7 Postby Eddy » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:07 am

Lynn Otto

#8 Postby Lynn Otto » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:38 am

Eddy

#9 Postby Eddy » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:39 am

Seddo

#10 Postby Seddo » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:46 pm

----------------------

Seddo

Moe City Rifle Club

Barry Davies

#11 Postby Barry Davies » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:27 pm

Triplejim

#12 Postby Triplejim » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:47 pm

Norm

#13 Postby Norm » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:59 pm

DannyS

#14 Postby DannyS » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:31 pm

AlanF

#15 Postby AlanF » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:37 pm

Return to “Helping F-Class to Grow”