Pics of this weeks shoot. .308 and 6XC plus a few toys.

If you take a pride in the appearance of your rifle(s) and other gear, post a photo and give us some commentary.

Moderator: Mod

Woody_rod

#31 Postby Woody_rod » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:52 pm

johnk wrote:Didn't realise that there were states where the 50 BMG was legal. It ain't in Queensland.

Pretty sure they can't be used on a typical private FAL. What on earth would the purpose be for having one?

ShaneG

#32 Postby ShaneG » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:08 pm

Loong range and FUN!!!
I don't own a super car and can't really see the point of one in OZ with our laws but I don't begrudge anyone owning them and using them.
If I lived somwhere legal for their use I would have one for sure.

Seddo

#33 Postby Seddo » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:11 pm

You can have a 50bmg in victoria, nsw and sa (i think). The range at Little River is approved for 50bmg but its only 500m.

I cant see any issue with the pics but then i like (and own) those sort of rifles too.
----------------------
Seddo

Moe City Rifle Club

AlanF

#34 Postby AlanF » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:41 pm

DannyS wrote:...I'm sure Norm and the guys had a great time and good luck to them, however, my view (yes I'm expressing my own personal opinion) is that we should stick to F Class issues on this site...

That's fine with me Danny - opinions are what makes a forum. And I should add that if this F-Class website ever gets hijacked by an influx of shooters from another discipline I will need to do something to ensure that F-Class remains the predominant subject, so I guess we have similar views on this. In this particular case however, I think Norm thought some of us would be interested, and from the mixed reaction, he's correct.

Alan

Norm

Re: Shooting is Fun

#35 Postby Norm » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:54 pm

bartman007 wrote:Getting back on track.

Thanks for the post Norm. Looks like you guys had a lot of fun. Some tasty looking bits of gear on the mound.

While these guys had some great gear, lets get down to business, what size groups were they able to achieve?

Can a 50 cal tack drive, or do you simply put big holes in the paper :D

Someone from Rosedale pointed out that bigger is not always better. I think in this case he may be wrong :wink: Those bigger toys look like a lot of FUN 8)

Bartman.
The .50 BMG was a Barrett semi auto with 10 shot mags, It can put a lot of energy down range very quickly. The rifle in the photo belongs to the Police and is used for the specific purpose of equipment destruction, not as an anti personnal weapon, they have other things for that! The .50 is not very accurate by F-Class standards and would only be used for close range targets such as engine blocks etc due to the possibility of stray bullets flying about in a built up area. This rifle is not legal for private ownership but is still an interesting rifle and I enjoyed seeing it in operation.
The other rifles were lesser calibres and were very accurate. They would offer high scores at the longest ranges.
I must say that the blokes that use these rifles are very nice people and no different to any other shooter that I have met at a VRA rifle range.

OuttaAmmo

#36 Postby OuttaAmmo » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:19 pm

Was the XC running off reloads? Can you even buy factory loads? Not that you'd really want to use factory, just asking. What scope did it have? It looks like a s&b 5-25...., so wondering exactly how accurate it was at the longs?
6 ring accuracy at 1000?

Aubrey

#37 Postby Aubrey » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:50 pm

OuttaAmmo wrote:Can you even buy factory loads?

Norma make 6XC factory ammo and cases, but probably at a price that would bring tears to the eyes..
Aubrey Sonnenberg
Concord RC, Sydney
Accurise: Aim for Accuracy!

John E

#38 Postby John E » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:44 pm

Norm
Is it true that the shoot was restricted to 700yds/mrs due to the bad weather in the Mansfield area and the targets were metal discs?

John

Norm

#39 Postby Norm » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:03 pm

John E wrote:Norm
Is it true that the shoot was restricted to 700yds/mrs due to the bad weather in the Mansfield area and the targets were metal discs?

John

No and yes.

Norm

#40 Postby Norm » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:08 pm

OuttaAmmo wrote:Was the XC running off reloads? Can you even buy factory loads? Not that you'd really want to use factory, just asking. What scope did it have? It looks like a s&b 5-25...., so wondering exactly how accurate it was at the longs?
6 ring accuracy at 1000?

Shot reloads using Norma brass.

The rifle is very accurate and expect to see it in both 6XC and other small calibres in F-Open as well as in .308 in Full Bore configuration in the future. The rifle did have a S&B scope which was very nice.
The rifle has won a lot of comps in the USA against full custom rigs. Just have a look at what David Tubb has achieved with it!

Return to “Photos of Rifles etc.”