WA Longrange Champs and Queens

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

Woody_rod

WA Longrange Champs and Queens

#1 Postby Woody_rod » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:18 pm

Hello all,

Anyone from this forum coming over for the Long-range championships and/or Queens this coming September?

ozfarm

#2 Postby ozfarm » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:09 pm

possible maybe

depends on how i feel & if i can stand the strain on my back

mite have to succumb & ask for permission to drive on the range,

mike H

#3 Postby mike H » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:41 pm

Not this time, however WA is on the future list. What do your long range championships consist of, or should I say, what is the program for them.
Have shot with one of your service rifle shooters, at Sydney, a few times, time I paid back. When I go over there, have to fit in Service rifle, F/class, and Match rifle, if you shoot it in WA. Of course wild flowers, mining, and general touring, are part of it. Last and not least, Margaret River, and winery tours.
Hope you have a good one this year.
Mike.

Woody_rod

#4 Postby Woody_rod » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:12 pm

Info on the LRC's are here:

http://www.wara.asn.au/notices/longrange.html

Service rifle and F class are quite popular, particularly FS. I am interested to see how big the F standard field is this year at the Queens.

Woody_rod

#5 Postby Woody_rod » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:55 pm

Hopefully Warrick Brown or Mark Hammersley etc can jump in here and give a rundown on what happened at the WALRC's.

I shot in the comp, and had a great time. Ver few people turned up, which is a shame, but it was the friendliest time I have had at any range yet. Great marking, good food, good company - we actually did some shooting here and there, but that wasnt all too important it seemed!!

Great showing by local man Bill Hallam with a legendary possible score to get the top prize in FO. Bloody impressive Bill, well done! The FO guys will have to say what he was using etc, as I dont know.

There was a good field of FO shooters, which is great to see. Always interesting talking to these guys, as I learn a lot about such things as reloading techniques and barrels etc. Also a good field of FS shooters.

Had some pretty impressive scores from the TR guys too, which did not include myself :( Stunt shooter Rick Scoones entered FO with his new Grunig / Barnard rifle and used a sling to shoot a pretty good score. Not bad for a part time shooter.

My learning experience extended to never using a Gehmann adjustable front iris again, it cost me about 40 points in the end after it blew up during my second sighter at the second last range DOH.

Mark Hamersley

#6 Postby Mark Hamersley » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:29 am

Some very good shooting in all classes. I don't have all the scores at hand (hopefully the WARA will post a full set on their website soon), but in F-Open Bill Hallam shot an incredible 900.82 (3 x 15 shot matches at 700, 800 & 900m on Palma targets on Saturday and on Sunday). IIRC Graham Oates came second with 899 and Anthony Hall third with 898. I think all but myself and Rick Scoones were using one of those pesky 6mm's in one form or another :-)

The wind provided some challenges as it does, but the weather held. The shoot was very well run with a great atmosphere all round. One of those meets where everything from registering, squadding, marking, eating, getting a cool drink just happened naturally. A big tick to the organisers - they are aiming to run an f-class pm for mid December so hopefully there will be enough interest to make it happen. :D

best regards

Mark

Return to “Events”