F-Class Open State Teams Event - Bendigo March 2009

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

AlanF

F-Class Open State Teams Event - Bendigo March 2009

#1 Postby AlanF » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:39 am

Hello F-Open Shooters

I'm starting a new thread specifically for Open, because we have a particularly big challenge with getting numbers for this event.

Firstly hats off to South Australia. They have already declared their intentions to be at Bendigo and field an Open team. And Vic will have a team - no great problem in getting numbers when there is little travel involved.

It would be great if we could get a third team. I spoke to the NSW shooters competing in Canberra, and while most said they simply couldn't get to Bendigo, a couple are looking promising. What did surprise me at Canberra is that some of the WA shooters are hoping they will be sending an Open Team. How about that? Take note Queenslanders :D !

So if there is anyone from any State interested, please either post here or PM me and we'll get you in touch with any others from your state, so you can then approach your own State Association.

Two teams will be enough to get the thing started, but it would be much better with 3, then the next one at Canberra in 2010 can hopefully grow on that.

Alan

johnk

Re: F-Class Open State Teams Event - Bendigo March 2009

#2 Postby johnk » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:22 pm

AlanF wrote:Take note Queenslanders :D !

Noted.

AlanF

Re: F-Class Open State Teams Event - Bendigo March 2009

#3 Postby AlanF » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:38 pm

johnk wrote:Noted.

Well done John. Now that I have you obeying instructions, BRING A QUEENSLAND TEAM TO BENDIGO...

Alan :D

johnk

#4 Postby johnk » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:23 pm

Sheesh! I've had enough trouble getting an FS team up & running.

As a point of interest, I checked out the Open shooters that attended the QRA Queens for 2007 & 2008 from south of the border - a grand total of 4. Canberra & Malabar would have no better representation from us, I suspect. It sort of points to the issue that I suspected for some time, viz Open shooters tend to be a parochial bunch, particularly when compared to their Standard compatriots.

There's also the issue that I've had pointed out to me when trying to generate mor F class interest in Match rifle shooting here, viz that a 6.5 barrel doesn't last all that long & with two Queens & 1000 yard bench available, it starts to cost, one way or another, to travel. As a MR shooter, I can sympathise.

cheers

John

PS: I've got Ross Atherton & Tony Beardmore shooting Standard anyway.

AlanF

#5 Postby AlanF » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:00 pm

John,

Well actually, the more travelling I do, the less significant 6.5mm barrel costs become as a proportion of total costs :? .

I see travel costs as the biggest single deterrent for shooters competing interstate. We are having a temporary reprieve with petrol prices, but that won't last. Its almost a case of enjoying State Team events while we can, because they may not be feasible in 10 or 20 years time.

Alan

Mark Hamersley

#6 Postby Mark Hamersley » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:26 pm

Hi Alan

Agreed on the travel costs alright. Anyway Warwick is definitely working on getting a WA FOpen team together for Bendigo. Do you know the course of fire for the teams event? I'm trying to work out how many rounds will be needed for the team event plus the Syme & Queens. Part of the usual budgeting and logistics, any advice appreciated.

best regards

Mark

BTW congrats on your continuing success. Sounds like Canberra was a challenge as well as a great event.

AlanF

#7 Postby AlanF » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:14 pm

Mark Hamersley wrote:...Warwick is definitely working on getting a WA FOpen team together for Bendigo. Do you know the course of fire for the teams event?...

Mark,

I'm in the process of getting that info. Am expecting it to involve in total about a third of the life of a 6.5mm barrel :D :D ! If you do manage to get an F-Open team here, that will be fantastic.

Alan

johnk

#8 Postby johnk » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:20 pm

If it's the same as Standard, it will be 2 + 15 at 1000 afternoon day one, then 2 + 10 at 300, 600, 900 & 1000 day 2 - same as the other teams matches.

John

Mark Hamersley

#9 Postby Mark Hamersley » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:21 pm

Thanks Alan

Sounds like I might need to bring a spare barrel and all the reloading gear as well - crikey, it might be easier to drive over. Will probably know more about the likelihood of a WA team in the next few weeks. I'm keen to get there, however if it doesn't work out I should still get to one of the Queens your side of the rabbit-proof fence this year.

best regards

Mark

AlanF

#10 Postby AlanF » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:27 pm

John,

Yes I agree. It will be held in conjunction with the Ladies Teams, and that is the format they used last time (although it was metric).

Mark,

If there is anything we can do to make things easier, let me know. If you'd prefer to fly, we can help out with heavy stuff e.g. rear bags, reloading presses. Its the least we can do if you people are prepared to make the big effort to get here.

Alan

Chopper

#11 Postby Chopper » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:55 am

Alan in regard to youre phone call about the format, what John said is correct, i believe monday the 2nd is a practice over 3,6,9,1000yds in the morning and the 1000yd match will be in the afternoon ,tuesday the 3rd will be the match over 3,6,9,1000yds, official notification should be here this week, also i believe the presentation dinner venue is to be is to be sorted out , i think this will done through out the states , Regards Chop.

AlanF

#12 Postby AlanF » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:06 pm

Thanks Paul.

So in answer to your question Mark :

Monday a.m. Practice say 26 rnds
Monday pm 1000yd 18 rnds
Teams shoot Tuesday 4 x 13 = 52 rnds
Leadup Thursday 3 x 13 = 39 rnds
Leadup Friday 3 x 13 = 39 rnds
Queens Saturday 3 x 13 = 39 rnds
Queens Sunday 3 x 13 = 39 rnds
Queens Monday 2 x 13 = 39 rnds

That's 291 plus a few in case of a shoot-off, say 300. i.e. in 6.5mm terms about a quarter of a barrel :shock: ! Look upon it as supporting WA's iron ore industry :D .

Alan

Alan

bruce moulds

#13 Postby bruce moulds » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:27 pm

alan,
if you're getting more than 1000 shots out of a 6.5/284, you know you are not loading hot enough!
6br, 6.5x47, or 7x57 ackley might be the way of the future.
either that or only millionaires might be contenders. come to think of it, amillion isn't as much as it used to be either, particularly if it is invested!
bruce.

AlanF

#14 Postby AlanF » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:24 pm

Bruce,

Some people wonder why I have stuck with the "barrel burning" 6.5-284 (for over 5 years now). The main reason is simply that it get's the job done, particularly at the longs.

As far as costs go, I'll try to explain it in terms of going to a Brisbane Queens (from Victoria). It costs me about $1000 if I drive there and take a tent and camp on the range. I get to fire a little more than 200 shots. The barrel wear cost of my 6.5 is about 50 cents per shot, or $100 for the Queens. If I used a calibre such as 6.5x47 which has about twice the barrel life, then it would cost about $50 in barrel wear i.e. a saving of $50. Do I consider it worth the extra $ for the higher performing 6.5-284 - definitely! If I was in contention for a win at the last range (1000 yds) and had a good 6.5x47, I'd certainly pay $50 to swap it with an equally accurate 6.5-284. My point is if you're spending $1000 on going to a Queens, for the sake of $50 why settle for lesser performance.

Then of course there's the 7mm-284 - it has slightly better barrel life AND long range performance. I'm just not sure whether the extra recoil might make it bit tiring over the 5 days of a Queens. What's your current opinion Bruce? You had that 6.5 humming at your 2007 Queens, and you now have a 284 I believe?

Alan

AlanF

4 F-Open Teams Minimum Required

#15 Postby AlanF » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:42 am

Meanwhile, back on the subject of this thread, here is a link to the NRAA circular on the Bendigo teams event :
http://www.ozfclass.com/calendar/flyers/NationalFTeams09.pdf

One important statement in it is that F-Open will need a minimum of 4 teams. So I guess that means if either NSW and Queensland can't make it, then it won't happen. One thing I have done is contact the NZ F-Class website to see if they are interested (the event is open to International teams). Time is very short, but you never know - they have more active open shooters than any of our States, and are actually closer than WA!

But what we really need is for Queensland or NSW to say "we have a team and we'll be there". :D :D

Alan

Return to “Events”