ACT Queens F-Open Blog

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

Cameron Mc

#16 Postby Cameron Mc » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:09 pm

Thanks for the reporting Alan.

Congratulations to Rod, well done.

I realise we must move on and go to the super V but find the scoring hard to come to terms with. A ten shot match with a score out of 70 or 60.10 just does not make sense to me :? It would be a bit like going back to pounds, shillings and pence. Give me the decimal system any day.

Regards,
Cameron

VickiMcc

#17 Postby VickiMcc » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:35 pm

here here

Paul Janzso

#18 Postby Paul Janzso » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:52 pm

Congratulations Rod Davies, Rod Mahon & Alan Fraser for your placings, and all the other competitors for making the effort, well done.
I am looking forward to 2010 ACT Queens, I have been granted leave by the minister.

Cheers
Paul
Time's a wasted wot's not spent shooti'n BARNARD 300WSM's

Matt P

#19 Postby Matt P » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:10 pm

From what I have heard a ICFRA target with a Super V ring will be used for Open and Standard, using the 60.10 scoring systen as of Jan 2010. It doesn't seem that Open shooters will be happy with the change and it also seems not many are interested in going to open, it will be "interesting" how this pans out. :wink: :wink:
Anyone want to buy a 6BR barrel ??? :wink:

Matt P

AlanF

#20 Postby AlanF » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:58 pm

Matt P wrote:From what I have heard a ICFRA target with a Super V ring will be used for Open and Standard, using the 60.10 scoring systen as of Jan 2010. It doesn't seem that Open shooters will be happy with the change and it also seems not many are interested in going to open...

Matt,
I hadn't heard the 60.10 was definite, but if it is then its not opposed by everyone. I think there's probably more of a problem for Open shooters with losing the current Open target because it is more suitable for scope shooting. But the Open target is starting to be seen as one of the main problems preventing the growth of Open, and if we try to keep it, we'll continue to struggle for numbers. As for the choice between 60.10 and 70 scoring, both have advantages, and both have some support.
Alan

RAVEN

#21 Postby RAVEN » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:04 am

What about 100.10
Y not do it as they do in the lagest F-Class nation in the world :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

Matt P

#22 Postby Matt P » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:24 am

Richard
Problem is if Open wants to be included it has to be scored the same as Standard, and if Open wants to be scored differntly they may as well keep the Champ target, at Canberra the only difference from normal was the target so why bother.

Matt P

Lynn Otto

#23 Postby Lynn Otto » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:15 am

We are about to change targets for everyone, why not take the opportunity to make that target a metric target, everything else in this country has been metric since the 1960's. Let's drag this sport out of the last century into the present while we have the chance. A perfectly equitable metric TR target is available, why not use it.

Who has the major say on the ICFRA target? Is it non metric as a result of the UK influence, are we still bowing to the empire gods? These by the way are genuine questions, I don't know the workings of this target choice. I just know that if I have to shoot at a target not designed for my category of shooting then I would like it to at least be metric.
Last edited by Lynn Otto on Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paul Janzso

#24 Postby Paul Janzso » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:21 am

I don't see what all the fuss is about.

I am just happy to be able to go to the club, go to OPM's or travel interstate and shoot.

Mat, what brand of barrel have you got for sale?

Cheers
Paul
Time's a wasted wot's not spent shooti'n BARNARD 300WSM's

IanP

#25 Postby IanP » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:31 am

ICFRA target with a super centre provides the challenge both F-Class's need. I think scoring both classes the same has obvious benefits when we look at the difficulty some people have in changing scoring from one target type to another.

I have always been an advocate of Keep It Simple and if this is the compromise that is necessary to get ICFRA up and running then I can live with it!

Ian

Lynn Otto

#26 Postby Lynn Otto » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:24 am

Ian I'm not suggesting they can't all be scored the same, I don't think Richard is either, but if we are changing the target for all disciplines to a common target, why not make it metric.

Of course it's a moot point at this point in time, since my understanding is that the decision has already been made.

RAVEN

#27 Postby RAVEN » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:33 am

I’m with you guys and girls
Change the target change the scoring
for all F-Class
This is an opportunity don’t throw it away

bartman007

Targets and scoring again :-)

#28 Postby bartman007 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:13 am

I'd just like to say that the KISS (keep it simple st.....) principal is worth pursuing.

F-Std guys already score out of 60. The Full Bore guys know to score Centres as 6, and this has been working very well.

If F-Open simply adds the Super V, then the Full Bore and F-Std guys just have to note when a Super V has been shot. 60.10 can then be the maximum score for F-Open.

That way we ALL use the same targets! We ALL get to see the accuracy of the different equipment. We ALL know ONE scoring system. ***The clubs don't have to manage producing different targets. And if Full Bore and F-Std want to give us a run for our money, they can simply score their shoots out of 60.10 and we might find that we need to work a bit harder :P

Cheers

AlanF

#29 Postby AlanF » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:49 am

As I see it the big change is that we use the same target - reduces costs, makes F-Open easier to provide etc. Scoring is another issue. TR and F-Std have been scoring differently up till now with few problems. I don't see a major problem with F-Open being scored differently from both. I'm personally starting to like the full value super V for F-Open, scored as 7 (or in the unlikely event that TR and F-Std go the same way, as a 10). However, lets see what the NRAA opted for - hopefully it will be posted on their website soon.

Alan

RDavies

#30 Postby RDavies » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:23 pm

It was certainly a close Queens, but for then a lot of the last few Queens in F open have been either 2-3 way shoot offs for the win, or at least equal scores at the 2nd last range, so it seems close finishes are the norm in F open. Makes for better competition when no one dominates, and nearly everyone has a gets a medal at one range or another over 5 days of competition.

Pest Bird, my 22BR uses 70gn flat base bullets made by Garry Liddle. Basicly they are like an 80gn Sierra, without the boat tail. PM me if you want his contact details as he can make a few different caliber bullets, in various configurations, he also makes my 100gn 6mm flat bases which are popular with 300M competitors.

My view on targets is that if we cant shoot on a proper F open target, then at least be allowed to have a scoring system which rewards precision, shooting by giving a higher score for a smaller center.
Which ever way we are forced to go, I will stick with F open as long as they will have us.
Our biggest problem is that there are so many shooters at club shoots with full on, competitive F open rifles, who wont travel 1 hr to build numbers at the next clubs prize shoots, yet alone drive a few more hours to have a great time, learning heaps and hanging out with a dozen other like minded shooters to experience shooting at a Queens Prize shoot. Save the money on your fancy stock paint jobs, $4000 scopes etc, and spend the money on entry fees and petrol money. Maybe then we will have the numbers to control what targets we shoot at.

Return to “Events”