F Open at the WA Queens - your discipline needs you!

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

alocky

F Open at the WA Queens - your discipline needs you!

#1 Postby alocky » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:05 pm

Calling all F open shooters in WA - there's only three signed up for FO to date, and we need 5 for it to go ahead. Nice excuse for a trip from our dedicated colleagues from SA.... Come on, it will be like taking candy from a baby 8)
cheers,
Andrew.

Lynn Otto

#2 Postby Lynn Otto » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:15 pm

Andrew I wish you the best in getting enough Open shooters. Sadly for you and SA Open shooters our Queens are both on the same weekend meaning we would have to forego our own event to support yours. :cry:

Southcape

#3 Postby Southcape » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:59 pm

Rod can't help with numbers this year.

:(
Linda

DaveMc

WARA Queens

#4 Postby DaveMc » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:18 am

Hi Andrew, I am considering it. Certainly looking at both the SARA and WARA Queens. I Was camped amongst the WARA vets at the QRA Queens and they were very convincing that I should do this trip and looks like a beautiful range. Flights from Cairns are similar in time and cheaper than going to SARA Queens (in fact cheaper and much quicker than driving to Brisbane from here)

Some logistics though. 1. Can't book until I know it is going to be on for sure (4 other definate shooters) - 2. I would need to borrow a front rest (3 inch) whilst there (can't make weight limit on plane otherwise). Possibly squadded with an F standard shooter willing to share??

Any help appreciated and I will try my hardest. Sounds like you have some good shots over there and would be a pity for them not to get a competition going.....

Dave

Southcape

#5 Postby Southcape » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:21 pm

Locky, I'll get hold of Ted Bower and ask if he is shooting Open this year.
Linda

DaveMc

#6 Postby DaveMc » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:31 pm

Thanks to Linda's kind offer and help with some gear I am now in and think I have roped in the old man as well. That should give enough starters but as they say the more the merrier so bring it on everyone.....

In the end it will be $189 each way from Cairns and direct flight. So nearly cheaper and half the travel time than me even getting to our own Queens at Mackay - c'mon everyone too easy with some help and support at the other end?? :D :D

alocky

#7 Postby alocky » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:59 am

That's great news - I have a spare Cadwell Rock with a 3" bag as well if you need it, and I also have a spare rear rest. Let me know if there's anything else you need.
I look forward to meeting you both at the Queens, and thanks to Mark and Linda for helping out!
Sounds like we've got a competition.
regards,
Andrew.

DaveMc

#8 Postby DaveMc » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:59 pm

Thanks Andrew,
All booked in now. Arrive late Wednesday night so will see you all on the mound early Thursday. Cheers.

Would be great if you could bring any spare rests/mats etc as well Andrew if you have the room. Dad can travel a bit lighter too then. Cheers and see you there.

Dave

AlanF

#9 Postby AlanF » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:40 am

Good on you Dave. Its important to keep open alive in the west. Once upon a time numbers were very good there - it just needs a bit of confidence to return to its former success.

Triplejim

#10 Postby Triplejim » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:47 am

AlanF wrote:.....it just needs a bit of confidence to return to its former success.

The clubs need to renew their etargets annually prior to the WARA meeting

AlanF

#11 Postby AlanF » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:53 am

Triplejim wrote:The clubs need to renew their etargets annually prior to the WARA meeting

Yes I did notice the quality of the faces varied considerably last year - would be good if there was a check on this prior to the Queens to ensure uniformity between the different club targets.

Triplejim

#12 Postby Triplejim » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:58 am

AlanF wrote: Yes I did notice the quality of the faces varied considerably last year.

Long way to travel to shoot misses

AlanF

#13 Postby AlanF » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:11 pm

Triplejim wrote:Long way to travel to shoot misses

James,

There were one or two serious problems with the targets at WARA Queens 2010, but nowhere near as widespread as the Delhi debacle that you experienced. However my general view on ETs at present is use them at club level if availability of fit markers is an issue, but for major events they are still too unreliable, and the rules need refinement - Queens events should be able to afford good paid markers.

Alan

Triplejim

#14 Postby Triplejim » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:27 pm

AlanF wrote: James, There were one or two serious problems with the targets at WARA Queens 2010, but nowhere near as widespread as the Delhi debacle that you experienced. However my general view on ETs at present is use them at club level if availability of fit markers is an issue, but for major events they are still too unreliable, and the rules need refinement - Queens events should be able to afford good paid markers. Alan

Regarding the WARA Queens (not Delhi) it only takes one unmaintained target to destroy the credibility of the competition.
Worse, when the reseller of the product defends the situation by blaming the shooter.
The current SSR's are fine and no amount of rule changing will make ET targets work better if they are not maintained properly.
Further, rifle clubs and state associations should ensure that etargets conform to SSR's and not the other way round.

AlanF

#15 Postby AlanF » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:03 pm

Triplejim wrote:
AlanF wrote:...Further, rifle clubs and state associations should ensure that etargets conform to SSR's and not the other way round.

James,

The way E-Targets are being implemented, most of SSR Chapter 5 becomes meaningless, because there are no Markers or Butts Officer at the targets. When I said the SSRs need refining, perhaps transforming would be a better word. However, with regards things like treatment of misses, shots on wrong target etc. I agree that the ETs should not need special allowance in the SSRs to compensate for shortcomings of the technology.

Alan

Return to “Events”