2011 WLRC Belmont QLD

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

DaveMc

#31 Postby DaveMc » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:21 am

This Queens was absolutely amazing and it has been hard to top the WA, QRA, NQRA ones for me -but it has.

I really enjoy watching other people do well and get personal achievements. I will list below some memorable ones for me.
1) Rod Davies: without a doubt unbelievable.
2) Jim Blomfield: Great to see him do it (would have also done it at QRA Queens if he didn't put 2 on wrong target)
3) Daryl Barlow proving he is truly one of the best shots in the country. well done.
4) Emile Daniel winning the first range and daily agg of Presidents to much widespread applause.
5) Julie Mcewens 60 at 900. Great to see Julie's joy at achieving this. Well done.
6) Mark Fairnbairn shot unbelievably well all week. Good to see him starting to challenge hard.
7) All the outstanding TR rifle shooters out there at the Worlds. Pretty amazing stuff
8. Cameron Mcewen probably had the roughest conditions (or equal to) on every range every time he lied down but battled throught with great scores and is always the gentleman.
9) All in all the quality of the competition in F open for a fairly small field was outstanding.
Thankyou everybody for great sportsmanship and a wonderful time.

Dave

AlanF

#32 Postby AlanF » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:01 am

RDavies wrote:...I didnt use the 6.5 Gertrude in the Queens. Once the barrel ran in, it went out of tune, I couldnt get it right in the lead up so I stuck with a 6mm Dasher and 284 for the Queens.

Rod,

I'd bring the Gertrude to Canberra and leave those other silly barrels at home.

Alan
Last edited by AlanF on Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

DaveMc

#33 Postby DaveMc » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:01 am

ps AUSTRALIAN VETERANS TEAM WON - WORLD champions \:D/ =D>

Cameron Mc

#34 Postby Cameron Mc » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:34 pm

Thanks for your comments Dave. It was a very enjoyable shoot.

We just need to find another monkey for Rod :lol: Maybe it's name will be Gertrude.

Cameron

DaveMc

#35 Postby DaveMc » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:11 pm

I'd be wary of Gertrude. The way Rod keeps talking her down - She may be one of those stunners that Rod isn't game to show his friends less they make moves on her. Maybe he doesn't want anyone to covet her and build one themselves. Certainly some early signs are very good and I would suggest if Rod brings her out to play again then she will be ready to rumble.

RDavies

#36 Postby RDavies » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:52 pm

Yes, the 1st few times I used Gertrude, she was one of the most accurate barrels I have used. As is common, once the barrel ran in, the velocity jumped and put it out of tune. I will drop the loads a tad and try her again in a club shoot and lead up. Once it is proven to be reliable, I will drag her out and bang her in the main game.
I plan to rechamber my 6x47 into a 6BR club gun, then Gertrude will hopefully be my short/mid range and light condition gun.

Pictures of the cartridge are now in the Rifle Pics page for any other info.

DaveMc

#37 Postby DaveMc » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:51 am

I think it would also be remiss of me to not thank the sponsors for the nationals on this forum group. The trophies were extremely good this year. Vortex in particular put up some very valuable prizes. Including a few of their top of the line products.
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vor ... oa-reticle Although technically not a perfect F class scope due to the first focal plane reticle they are getting great reviews in the tactical arena for those that are interested. Great glass and very precise workmanship.

Plus Highland sports and Winchester with some fantastic Meopta binoculars ( http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/EN/pr ... 1=1&nav2=1 ) and gun cases and other scopes etc. When I arrived home I was quite surpirised the glass and quality is magnificent. My first impession felt like I was looking through some Swaro's.

Thanks to all the other sponsors too. It was a great event and with such great prizes might encourage a few extra entries next year.

Southcape

#38 Postby Southcape » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:57 pm

This was my first interstate competition, and I enjoyed it.

It remains unfinished business for me though. I will have to come back, and shoot it with my own rifle, using a scope that I know where the zero is! :shock:

Rod and I went up the Glasshouse Mountains today, and ran into the New Zealand Vets Rifle Team up there.

Small world!
Linda

Return to “Events”