North Arm Rifle Club OPM

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

DenisA

#16 Postby DenisA » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:13 pm

Tony thats great to hear. Now next time someone asks me, I can give them an answer straight away.

See you soon.

Norm

#17 Postby Norm » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:56 pm

Any updates?
I hear my brother had an interesting day!

DenisA

#18 Postby DenisA » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:02 pm

G'day Norm,

I'll do a write up tomorrow and cover both days. The wife and kids are keen for some attention.

Check out the pics from today (110 of them) on our FB page at the link below. Theres a pic of the score boards too.

Long story short. 4 seasons in one day.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/North-Ar ... 596&type=1

DenisA

#19 Postby DenisA » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:53 pm

I'm not very good with reports, but heres an attempt at something for those that may be interested. For results and pictures, follow the FB links below for Day 1 and 2.

Saturday 26th October 2013. North Arm Rifle Club OPM.

The field comprised of 28 F-class and 28 Target Rifle shooters.
The day literally gave us 4 seasons in one day. The conditions were very mild for the first range at 300m. The sky was a little cloudy and the temperature pleasant. Looking at the flags there was just a breath and the consensus was that the possible count should be high. It wasn’t the case in F-class. Only Cameron McEwan shooting F-Open served up a 60 with 4.
Target Rifle saw five possibles in A grade shot by Colin C, David B, Alan G, Ken L and Kathy S. One possible in B grade shot by Greg H.
By the second stage at 400y the wind had started picking up and the rain clouds out to the west were making their way toward us. As the last shooters finished, the rain came down in volume. The sky was grey and the targets could barely be seen from the club house. The down pour was intense, brief and timely. By the time lunch was finished it had passed and the sky was blue again with few clouds in sight.
The highlight of F-class was having Dennis Brown and Julie McEwan both finish the 500y range with equal daily aggregates of 174.14 forcing a shoot off. Something that we have not seen yet at North Arm.
Dennis won the shoot out after the first five shots with a 29.1 versus Julies 29.
Graham Sells from Dolby/Tara won F-Standard B with a 164.4. The victory of the day was poetic Justice for Graham as he finished last at the 2012 NARC OPM.

Sunday 27th October 2013. Lilly District Rifle Association OPM

The field comprised of 32 F-class and 32 Target Rifle shooters.

The day was beautiful, sunny and hot.
Ben Curley set the bar at the first 500y range with a well grouped 60.4. There were many close contenders but none got the possible. The second stage at 600y introduced the notorious North Arm wind to the field which carried through to the end of the day. There were manageable lulls momentarily allowing a few competitors to produce some good score, but generally the field was left in disarray with heavy velocity and direction changes. 4’s were a common theme.
A special mention of Dennis Browns final 600y feat is in order. As the field stood dumbfounded and reactive at the winds effects, Dennis shot a 59.8 only using the right hand side of the X ring. The dropped point was a flea’s hair off the 6 ring.
Congratulations to all the range and aggregate winners. Thank you to all that attended.
As usual, I really enjoyed the company of those that I don’t get to see too often and look forward to seeing you guys again at the next meeting.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 596&type=1

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... ploaded=69

A few pics for those not inclined to follow the FB links

ecomeat

some photos of the top end of F Open

#20 Postby ecomeat » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:46 pm

F Open event winner Dennis Brown
Dennis took the event out over a red hot field, shooting his 260 Remington. Its built on an RPA Quadlite action, a Trueflite Barrel , 1 in 8 twist that has fired well over 2000 rounds. Its an original RPA trigger, and wears a Nightforce 12-42 BR scope that hasnt been shifted off 21 power since day one. The stock is a simple "wood" thumbhole version, of unknown origin. Dennis' winning load is 140 gr Bergers at approx 2920 fps.
As well as shooting the pants off everyone else, Dennis filled in his spare time acting as one of the Range officers, Event Director and MC at the prizegiving.

Another noteable local at North Arm was forum contributor DenisA ......Denis Aarons.....who also recently launched the North Arm Rifle Club "Facebook Page" and who did a superb job promoting the event as well as taking charge of competitor Morale and Entertainment (and sledging !)
As you can see below, Denis employs a rather unique shooting position This bears an amazing likeness to the position that Cane Toads take just after you whack them on the back of the head !! :lol: :lol:

Fortunately Denis is able to take a beating as good as he gives, and made no visible attempt at self harm after slipping from a "range winning 59-3 at at the first 600, to a 50-2 at the next one

Another local who had mixed fortunes over the weekend was defending F Open Champion Ben Curley. A 4 times winner of prestigious Queens events in F Standard A, Ben doesnt get to shoot as much as he used to .....which is fortunate for the other F Open competitors in this part of the world !
Ben shoots a 6.5 x 284, based on a Nesika K action, a Maddco 1 in 8" twist barrel, with a Jewell trigger set "very light". The rifle wears a Nightforce 8-32 BR scope and sits in a Kelbly 1M stock. Another fan of 140 gr Bergers, Ben's have a mv of approx 3000 fps

It was also good to catch up with three of our F Open World Champions, Julie and Cam McEwan from Dalby Tara RC, and Mark Fairbairn from Cannon Hill RC, who is the proprietor of Wild Dog Australia.

Julie kept the promise that she made me to bring along her FCWC "bling", and i have to report that there is something VERY VERY SPECIAL about these magnificent gold medals.

I reckon that if the NRAA want 400 or 500 Nominations for the 2017 FCWC to be held in Canada, they just need to get our World Champions to let every F Open shooter they see actually hold these medals.

"Magnificent" and spine tingling would be significant understatements
It was a great weekends shooting with patches of completely unreadable wind that even confounded World Champions. Congratulations to North Arm and Lilley for continuing to run a top class event that is still great fun to attend even after the wind has kicked our butts ! :D :D

Brisbane shooter Kelvin "Mario" Bell was in the hunt right till the last range, but perhaps should be concentrating more on his own target

I cant talk too loud.....to much jeering and cheering from the Peanut Gallery, i put my first sighter at the last range onto the wrong target :oops: :oops: :oops:
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

Return to “Events”