Options for New National Teams Format

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

AlanF

Options for New National Teams Format

#1 Postby AlanF » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:24 pm

The following document has been distributed by the NRAA.

http://ozfclass.com/forums/pdf/ProposaltoChangeFClassTeamsFormat.pdf

How about we have a discussion about here, then run a poll?

Norm

Re: Options for New National Teams Format

#2 Postby Norm » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:16 pm

My preference would be for two days shooting at the longs, with as many shots as practical.

ShaneG

#3 Postby ShaneG » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:32 pm

I will jump in with first reply Alan.
I doubt few people heard Gordon Duncan asking for feedback at the Teams dinner last year at Belmont.
We were right towards the back with considerable chat happening but I did catch a segement and as a result I asked for our region to put forward that we fall in with the international competition format.

My vote would be for option 2 because we have few opportunities to train together.
If we were extremely time poor I would go with option 2 without the training day beforehand.
Have to jump straight into the deep end.
Same as doing it for real. Only thing different at Raton was a blow off?! And we used rocks on butts as references for initial wind - really sighters but guess anyone with a brain did the same.

We would just ask the organisers of whatever Queens this is aligned to give us a days rest before beginning the lead up please?Please?

Obviously the international competition is 8,9 and 1000 yards.

Why we would compete at home in practise for the big game on any other format would be a .......?
I have no polite words for it???

BUT the the next issue which needs to addressed to bring home Gold is joint coaching?!
The intricacies of communications and being on the same page required for 2 coaches on the line working together to WIN is completely lacking here now.
Because we have no practise for same.
For several years now I have been advocating to achieve the beginning of this in that we combine an FO and F/TR team together at our Nationals.

Of on another tangent - with Connaught looming in 2017 how is that our next National F class Teams will be a mere 3 months prior?
Shane
PS obviously I took so long to reply and really think it through Norm beat me to the first reply!!

Brad Y

#4 Postby Brad Y » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:19 am

Option 1 is a good one. One full days competition, all the prior preparation and practices and 20 shot string matches is enough wear on peoples barrels, and enough expense of ammo/components. If being tied in with a queens, most people will want to be focusing on that as well.

SORRY EDITED AS I OBVIOUSLY CANT READ OR COUNT #-o
Last edited by Brad Y on Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

bartman007

#5 Postby bartman007 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:31 am

Option 2 is good for me too.

I think with 3 full days at the range and the interstate drive the day before, you will want a day or two off in between.

I for one would forgo the Lead Up, so as to be fresh for the Queens event.

Event organisers should chime in here and let us know if it is logistically possible to give us a day off.
###

bsouthernau

#6 Postby bsouthernau » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:40 pm

300 seems to be on the skids and is increasingly left off Queens, DRA and OPM programmes. Is there anything to be gained by retaining 600? You might mount a case that only shooting the longs is a bit unfair to those whose home range doesn't go back that far. Personally I'd prefer 1 or 2.

Barry

Tim N

#7 Postby Tim N » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:40 pm

For me it would be:
Option 2 - 1st
Option 1 -2nd
That's bound to confuse someone. :wink:
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

Quick

#8 Postby Quick » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:25 pm

I'd support Option 2 first but would also be happy with Option 1.

I do think that combining FO and F/TR would have merit aswell from a training perspective for the worlds. Not all states have a large pool of shooters to take from.
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

johnk

#9 Postby johnk » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:57 pm

Quick wrote:I do think that combining FO and F/TR would have merit as well from a training perspective for the worlds. Not all states have a large pool of shooters to take from.

Darn!

Quick

#10 Postby Quick » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:33 pm

What?
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

johnk

#11 Postby johnk » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:24 pm

Thing of out clean sweep in F/TR 2015.

RAVEN

#12 Postby RAVEN » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:09 am

For those that are thinking option 2 and haven’t had to travel far
this will add approx. 1/3 more cost to participation.
The entry fee will also go up.

I'm more interested in option #1 more shooting at longer ranges this is where the coach and shooter are tested.

RB

jasmay

#13 Postby jasmay » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:53 am

Option 1, or 2, option 3 makes little sense.

2 probably isn't ideal due to likely excluding some shooters.

bartman007

#14 Postby bartman007 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:45 am

I do think that combining FO and F/TR would have merit aswell from a training perspective for the worlds. Not all states have a large pool of shooters to take from.

Without getting into the specifics of how the FCWC coaching system works, may I say that having the ability to shoot both FO and FTR as a single team creates some problems. Namely the ballistic differences at the long ranges, which would mean that you would need to have the FTR and FO boys spread over both targets and match the shooting order to keep ballistics the same. Otherwise the 2 coach system will have difficulties for the 2 coaches with different wind calls. And of course you will have 1 FTR and 1 FO shooter that will not be matched.

Target 1
FO.1
FO.3
FTR.1
FTR.3
FO.5*

Target 2
FO.2
FO.4
FTR.2
FTR.4
FTR.5*

If we went to 4 person individual or 8 person combined teams, you could get it to work. Or 6 and 12 if the states can muster that many shooters.

For those that are thinking option 2 and haven’t had to travel far
this will add approx. 1/3 more cost to participation.
The entry fee will also go up.

Richard, you have a valid point. Another thing to consider is how much ammo you can travel with on the plane or boat. The extra day will most likely push people into having to reload whilst interstate competing at the Queens too.
###

johnk

#15 Postby johnk » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:36 am

Assuming 7 rounds practice per distance, it seems like options 1 & 3 would need about the same at 92-3 rounds, while option 2 takes 145 - 50 rounds more. Add to that your 16 leadup/Queens ranges at around 192.

Return to “Events”