New Technology Gives Aus F-Class Team The Edge

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

IanP

New Technology Gives Aus F-Class Team The Edge

#1 Postby IanP » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:37 am

We all know that the upcoming Canadian F-Class World Championships has seen fit to include range restrictions. They have also provided a spreadsheet for competitors to check their ballistic compliance.

Well it looks like technology will come to the rescue for our world beating team. Remington have released a new rifle with the Canadian World Championships in mind! I'm recommending the team managers and shooters order early if they wish to dominate at Canada.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/201 ... zleloader/

Download the Connaught ballistic compliance spreadsheet here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/297 ... ksheet.xls

Ian

RDavies

#2 Postby RDavies » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:52 am

I think this is the gun for me. My ammo went missing at the last world championship and I spent weeks trying to find brass and bullets, prep it fireform it etc. With one of these bad boys I cant leave my ammo at home and just throw some black powder and fishing sinkers down the bore when I get there.
I just hope our coaches are a bit less forgiving with the need to be ready to fire a shot within 10 seconds of the last one, and hope they don't mind when we get up out of position to load another slug.
One secret tactic I am relying on is the black powder smoke blinding the competitors next to me.

johnk

#3 Postby johnk » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:04 pm

Rod,

You aren't thinking it through. Surely, like Pope & other early accuracy nuts, you'd make up a tool to breech seat your projectiles: http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/wp-conte ... seater.jpg

John

PS: Bruce, yes, I know that they muzzle seated too, but this is prone shooting. :wink:

IanP

#4 Postby IanP » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:11 pm

RDavies wrote:I think this is the gun for me. My ammo went missing at the last world championship and I spent weeks trying to find brass and bullets, prep it fireform it etc. With one of these bad boys I cant leave my ammo at home and just throw some black powder and fishing sinkers down the bore when I get there.
I just hope our coaches are a bit less forgiving with the need to be ready to fire a shot within 10 seconds of the last one, and hope they don't mind when we get up out of position to load another slug.
One secret tactic I am relying on is the black powder smoke blinding the competitors next to me.

Hahaahaha!!! :lol:

I couldn't resist when I came across this new gun. The first thing that came to mind was the World's at Canada.

What do you mean by using sinkers? Why not use sabots to hold everything from a 22cal, 90gr VLD for F T/R upto the 30cal, 230 grainers, this new technology should not be wasted on sinkers alone.

We would require Bruce, suitably attired in an Aus Team mankini to bring us all up to speed on the technology involved. Bring on the Canada Worlds where the F-Class rules are changed to suit the range limits at Connaughty :wink:

Ian

A small ES is good. A small SD is better. A small group is best!

Norm

#5 Postby Norm » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:23 pm

Ian,
If that template is correct, a .308 cal, 230gn Berger Target projectile at 2825fps is still inside the limit is it not?

IanP

#6 Postby IanP » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:54 pm

Norm wrote:Ian,
If that template is correct, a .308 cal, 230gn Berger Target projectile at 2825fps is still inside the limit is it not?

Thats right Norm, you could use it!

The template is using G1 BCs, which as we all know is not the correct drag model for our long range bullets. If they wise up and use the G7 drag model then things take a turn for the worse for the 7mm's as well as the 30 cals.

I'm just having a bit of fun with this thread as in my opinion its a backward step placing restrictions on our ICFRA F-Class rules and I would prefer to shoot on a range without these restrictions. Having said that, it is of-course not going to happen in Canada as they are using Connaught and apparently are not seeking an exemption for the World F-Class Champs.

Ian

bruce moulds

#7 Postby bruce moulds » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:19 pm

no true bpcr shooter would soil a good barrel with substitutes.
they are harder to clean and promote rust.
the holy black is the only path.
at the end of the creedmoor era some were breach seating, bet the std target ammo had the bullet only about 1/8" in the case, and the rest in the bore, so they were virtually breach seating when chambering a round.
it is usual to wipe the barrel between shots with a bpcr target rifle, so bisley style could offer benefits.
the thing with these rifles is that the bullets are transonic between the muzzle and 800 yds, so stability decides the bullet. spitzers are not good.
keep safe,
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

IanP

#8 Postby IanP » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:34 am

From what I am hearing from some shooters in other states (eastern) it would appear that future range restrictions may be applied to them.

In SA all our NRAA ranges have approval and are certified for use with all F-Classes. We have had SARA arrange this certification of our ranges thru cooperation with SA Police Firearms Branch. Other states need to be aware that SA and other states are approved for upto 8mm cartridge use. Use this fact as a precedent and example to the eastern state authorities that may not be aware of this fact.

Its time we as a shooting body linked together with more politically motivated shooting organisations like the SSAA and joined forces to preserve our sport.

To accept a 308W, 155gr bullet and cartridge restriction will see only FS survive and would destroy both F T/R and F-Open as we currently know it in the SSRs.

For those that say lets not discuss it and keep our heads buried in the sand, I say that there is a better way and we need to let the NRAA know that we want to lobby for exemptions at ranges to allow both F T/R and F-Open to proceed as per the NRAA and ICFRA rules. Plenty of other sporting and shooting disciplines are granted exemptions when and if needed.

Its time for us to wake and to speak up as a significant Australian shooting body and association. We have achieved world recognition thru our recent efforts at Raton and Australia should be proud to helps us continue on our winning ways.

Ian

Return to “Equipment & Technical”