New To F-Class - Equipment Check

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Razer

#16 Postby Razer » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:51 pm

If you intend to upgrade your scope, do it now.Don't procrastinate, :wink:
With the strength of the Aussie dollar against the $US there are some top scopes to be had at prices we only dreamed of a couple of years ago.
It pays to shop around though,but, I wouldn't waste any time.

Quinny

#17 Postby Quinny » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:40 am

Razer wrote:If you intend to upgrade your scope, do it now.Don't procrastinate, :wink:
With the strength of the Aussie dollar against the $US there are some top scopes to be had at prices we only dreamed of a couple of years ago.
It pays to shop around though,but, I wouldn't waste any time.

The plan was to put in the order when I get back from holidays after Easter, hopefully the dollar doesn't change too much between now and then. The Sightron 8-32x56 from the US is about $800 (+ about $40 delivery), but over here it is around $1300... That is a big difference.

I guess it is something that will last a long time and I should never have to replace, so I may as well just spend the extra $500 and get it.

Another question - what sort of adjustment range would be best? The Buckmaster is 50MOA, the Sightron 6-24x50 is 100MOA, and the Sightron 8-32x56 is 70 MOA. Is 70 MOA enough for 1000 yards (planning ahead), or am I better off to sacrifice a bit of magnification for the extra adjustment?

Razer

#18 Postby Razer » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:51 am

I use a Leupolds 8.5-25X50 with 20moa rails. On a 300mt zero I use 23points of elevation at 1000yds/900mts.
If you wish to use your rifle 'multi-purpose' then you will probably want/need a 100yd zero.
The Sightron 6-24x50 with 100 moa of adjustment would do this as it gives you a virtual 50moa of elevation from a 100yd zero and you will not be running out of windage adjustment at the longer ranges.
I have age impaired vision but 25 power is more than adequate for my needs. Also, the higher you wind the power, the smaller field of vision.
I run 3 Leupold 8.5-25x50 and have had no problems in over 10 years.Hunting scopes the same, in over 20 years.
When I paid $1300Au for one scope direct from US, the same scope was selling here for $1800Au [not that long ago],the same scope is now in 'some' Au gunshops for $1185. Don't wish to see what I could get one direct from my dealer in US right now, :(
At US$800 the scope you have quoted will enter Au well under the current AU$ no tax threshold. If you get it sent 'USPS'[?] you can track it all the way with a computer number.
Don't go with the Buckmaster,nothing personal, just that you normally get what you pay for regards end product.
There was talk of tightening up on the $1000 import tax free limit. Haven't heard much since and can't see that, or the strong $Au changing short term but 'a bird in the hand is always better than a bird in the bush' [unless you are young and virile, :)

johnk

#19 Postby johnk » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:23 pm

However, right now it's illegal for scopes to be exported from the States without the seller paying for a permit. From the US Benchrest Central website:

FYI shipping scopes out of the USA
Steve here... I sold a scope to a guy in Finland that I had in the classifieds back in the first week of January. He paypal'd me for the scope and I sent it thru the mail.
Bout a month later I got an 8 page letter from US Customs. They seized my scope, claiming I needed a permit to send it out of the US.
The short of it. I had to fill out two forms one of which had to be notarized, I had to send a letter of what happened, and had to pay a $250 fine. All of which i had to send with a prepaid shipping label for them to return my scope. I just got home from the post office with my scope(finally) and with two more forms to fill out and mail back to US Customs.
just my 2cents guys...don't ship anything out of the US without contacting customs. There rules are totally different than the Post office rules.
Steve

M12LRPV

#20 Postby M12LRPV » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:45 pm

johnk wrote:However, right now it's illegal for scopes to be exported from the States without the seller paying for a permit. From the US Benchrest Central website:

FYI shipping scopes out of the USA
Steve here... I sold a scope to a guy in Finland that I had in the classifieds back in the first week of January. He paypal'd me for the scope and I sent it thru the mail.
Bout a month later I got an 8 page letter from US Customs. They seized my scope, claiming I needed a permit to send it out of the US.
The short of it. I had to fill out two forms one of which had to be notarized, I had to send a letter of what happened, and had to pay a $250 fine. All of which i had to send with a prepaid shipping label for them to return my scope. I just got home from the post office with my scope(finally) and with two more forms to fill out and mail back to US Customs.
just my 2cents guys...don't ship anything out of the US without contacting customs. There rules are totally different than the Post office rules.
Steve

Tactical scopes are restricted export items. The rest are fine.

What constitutes tactical? That's a separate discussion...

Quinny

#21 Postby Quinny » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:37 pm

I am sure that the dealer will advise if there is a fee for sending out of the US, but I would have thought that should be included in the international shipping costs you get charged. I bought the Buckmaster in Jan this year and had no issues, no mention of having to pay anything additional for a permit.

I want to keep the purchase under $1000 to keep it under the tax threshold. The Leupold 8.5-25 is another I was considering, but they are a little pricey, and I am hearing more and more people disappointed in their Leupold scopes, saying that they are overpriced compared to other brands on the market.

The Sightron 6-24x50 may be the ticket, with current conversion rates, it works out to about $780 plus shipping from the US - from memory about $1250-ish here.

mike H

#22 Postby mike H » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:20 pm

Quinny wrote:I am sure that the dealer will advise if there is a fee for sending out of the US, but I would have thought that should be included in the international shipping costs you get charged. I bought the Buckmaster in Jan this year and had no issues, no mention of having to pay anything additional for a permit.

I want to keep the purchase under $1000 to keep it under the tax threshold. The Leupold 8.5-25 is another I was considering, but they are a little pricey, and I am hearing more and more people disappointed in their Leupold scopes, saying that they are overpriced compared to other brands on the market.

The Sightron 6-24x50 may be the ticket, with current conversion rates, it works out to about $780 plus shipping from the US - from memory about $1250-ish here.

You won`t get me saying I am disappointed in my Leupold scopes, the warranty is worth a lot to me.
Mike.

Quinny

#23 Postby Quinny » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:33 pm

mike H wrote:You won`t get me saying I am disappointed in my Leupold scopes, the warranty is worth a lot to me.
Mike.

I know of a few people who have gone from buying Leupold's to buying Sightrons and Bushnells because they say the quality on the Leupolds has dropped in recent years, and they are still charging close to Zeiss money.

It is one of those things I guess, some people love them, some people are disappointed. Kind of like Remingtons - some people swear by them, some people are convinced that they are not as good as they were 5 or 10 years ago and refuse to buy them now.

Razer

#24 Postby Razer » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:53 pm

Quinny wrote;

Your conversion rates are incorrect,current rates put the AU$ higher than the US$ which is great if you are buying from there.

I don't know where you got your price, but, from the US store that I have dealt with, the SIII series [model SIT25127] 6-24x50, moa dot reticule, side focus, is US$ 887. Allowing the current AU$ being the same as the US$ and adding US$40 for airmail postage, you will get this scope here AU$927. :D

The Leupold VX3, 8.5-25x50,fine duplex reticule,side focus is US$980 and can be currently purchased in OZ for $1185, less in some gunshops!
As Mike said, there is nothing wrong with Leupold and if you require service they are excellent. The warranty is 'lifelong'.
I had my target rifle knocked off the back of a ute. It landed upside down on the elevation turret,[cover of] on hard ground. I posted it to Leupold[$40] for a full check, which they did. Posted it back airmail in two weeks, no charge, scope had not suffered any damage from the drop. 8)

Quinny

#25 Postby Quinny » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:53 pm

The Optic Zone has the SIII 6-24x50 Mildot for $807 USD, plus $53 USD delivery, $4 USD insurance and $17 international surcharge etc comes to $881 USD total.

At current conversion rates ($1.00 AUD = $1.05 USD), $881/1.05 = $839 delivered. Sounds better than $1250 from a local supplier....

I would be interested to know where you are able to get the Leupold 8.5-25 for $1185, I have seen the 8.5-25 with Varmint Hunter reticle for $1365 or $1282 (AU prices) for the fine duplex.

Sightron also offer a Lifetime Warranty on their scopes as well.
Last edited by Quinny on Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlanF

#26 Postby AlanF » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:07 pm

Quinny wrote:...Sightron also offer a Lifetime Warranty on their scopes as well.

I might be wrong but I believe the Leupold Warranty is competely unconditional - if its a genuine Leupold, they will repair it - no purchase receipts or history of ownership required. You can buy a 20 year old Leupold 2nd hand with full confidence that Leupold will fix any problems. I doubt that Sightron would do this? This is probably the main reason you pay a bit more for Leupolds. This is another example of the saying "you get what you pay for with scopes".
:) Alan

Quinny

#27 Postby Quinny » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:11 pm

AlanF wrote:
Quinny wrote:...Sightron also offer a Lifetime Warranty on their scopes as well.

I might be wrong but I believe the Leupold Warranty is competely unconditional - if its a genuine Leupold, they will repair it - no purchase receipts or history of ownership required. You can buy a 20 year old Leupold 2nd hand with full confidence that Leupold will fix any problems. I doubt that Sightron would do this? This is probably the main reason you pay a bit more for Leupolds.

Alan

Not sure.... Sightron says on their site that if your scope EVER fails, send it back and they will replace or repair it. It doesn't have any fine print about conditions etc. However, the instruction manual says that the warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship, not damage caused by accident or abuse - not sure what Leupolds policy is on this.

I guess that if I am buying a new one though then I don't have to worry....

Razer

#28 Postby Razer » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:19 pm

Your wording led to the impression that the scope was US purchased and landed here at $1250. Does the model Sightron you mention have side focus?

I can purchase a VX3 8.5-25x50 LR TGT Fine duplex for AU$1077 here in OZ.

Try *** Gun Exchange. Price list in April ****** Magazine. Not sure on rules regarding posting this sort of info on here.

Quinny

#29 Postby Quinny » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:31 pm

Razer wrote:Your wording led to the impression that the scope was US purchased and landed here at $1250. Does the model Sightron you mention have side focus?

I can purchase a VX3 8.5-25x50 LR TGT Fine duplex for AU$1077 here in OZ.

Try *** Gun Exchange. Price list in April ****** Magazine. Not sure on rules regarding posting this sort of info on here.

Yes, all the Sightron SIII series have side focus. Sorry, I meant that to buy the same scope from an AU shop is around $1250.

I will check the mag for the price list - I know which company and mag you're referring to.

Also, I am not really after a fine duplex or target dot reticle, I would like something that has the hold over references to make it a bit more versatile for other kinds of shooting.

Quinny

#30 Postby Quinny » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:39 pm

Just checked the price list - $1155 for the 8-25x50 Varmint Hunter reticle... that is a very good price, definitely worth considering.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”