2-3 shots for clean barrel to settle down?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

ecomeat

#16 Postby ecomeat » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:51 pm

Ahhhhh. :idea:
Caught him out trying to steer everyone off his own recipe !!
Good work Adam ! :D :D
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

Cameron Mc

#17 Postby Cameron Mc » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:37 pm

Another one to try, two stroke oil. One drop on a patch.
This also works when running a barrel in.
Do you believe me Tony?

Cam

Brad Y

#18 Postby Brad Y » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:21 pm

Cam- do you give that patch one stroke or two down the bore?

What about upper engine cleaner (GM TEC) that stuff is designed to remove carbon from engines whilst running (combustion). One damp patch of that down the bore before the first shot might have a lubrication effect and also prevent carbon fouling from sticking as much... :wink:

bruce moulds

#19 Postby bruce moulds » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:58 pm

whale oil is a proven barrel conditioner.
getting hold of some is another thing.
tallow is another good bore lube.
keep safe,
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

Cameron Mc

#20 Postby Cameron Mc » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:12 pm

Brad Y wrote:Cam- do you give that patch one stroke or two down the bore?

What about upper engine cleaner (GM TEC) that stuff is designed to remove carbon from engines whilst running (combustion). One damp patch of that down the bore before the first shot might have a lubrication effect and also prevent carbon fouling from sticking as much... :wink:

Brad, 2 strokes required.... get it
:D
Seriously it works for me. Maybe like a bore conditioner. Like I said, only a very light film required.
My father-in-law used to use goanna oil he boiled down himself. He reckoned it cured all sorts of things as well :)

bruce moulds

#21 Postby bruce moulds » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:10 pm

liver eatin Johnson used bear fat.
not sure how koala fat would go.
how many koalas would need to be rendered down to make a decent amount?
the smoke might smell of eucalyptus.
keep safe,
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880

http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

BATattack

#22 Postby BATattack » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:12 pm

ecomeat wrote:Ahhhhh. :idea:
Caught him out trying to steer everyone off his own recipe !!
Good work Adam ! :D :D

I've seen him using it and I know how well he shoots so I have no doubt about his honesty but you can have success with different methods.

I used to lube my barrels but I personally found no difference in fouling or number of shots to settle down but the biggest reason I stopped was that the lube didn't seem to lay down evenly like you think it should. Looking with a bore scope I could see like droplets of oil not just one even thin layer. I've been thinking of trying some sort of moly/ evaporating suspension liquid though.

johnk

#23 Postby johnk » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:13 pm

Brad Y wrote:What about upper engine cleaner (GM TEC) that stuff is designed to remove carbon from engines whilst running (combustion).

Actually I clean only with Subaru upper engine cleaner daily during a series. Wipe out first with a couple of damp patches & then rough up what's left with it on a bronze brush, ten strokes each way repeated once. Then I dry out & leave it at that.

After the event, I'll get a tad more serious with JB Bore Bright & after removing that, store with Ballistol.

ecomeat

#24 Postby ecomeat » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:25 pm

Cameron Mc wrote:Another one to try, two stroke oil. One drop on a patch.
This also works when running a barrel in.
Do you believe me Tony?

Cam

I believe you mate ! You're a fellow Queenslander.
I use Ballistol oil on a bore mop when I finish cleaning, and leave a lot of oil in the barrel.
Then before shooting I dry patch most of it out, then wet patch with Shooters Choice, then dry patch to finish.
I am led to believe that Ballistol penetrates the micro pores in the steel, so that even though I dry patch it out, the bore is not "dry" the way it would be if I had used alcohol/shellite/metho. Ballistol literally conditions the steel in the barrel, apparently.
I get the impression from my Benchrester gunsmith, Mr Jones, that most Benchresters either use Lockeze on a patch as a final (graphite) treatment, or else go the "completely dry" route like he does, using a good solvent, then completely flushing with shellite, dry patching and shooting on a totally dry barrel.
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

Paul Janzso

#25 Postby Paul Janzso » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:31 pm

Whale Oil, Beef Hooked.
I must give it a go.
Cheers
Paul
Time's a wasted wot's not spent shooti'n BARNARD 300WSM's

RAVEN

#26 Postby RAVEN » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:29 am

KG make a bore conditioner moly susprended in something

AlanF

#27 Postby AlanF » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:32 am

I clean, then burnish with Brownells moly paste. This works for most barrels, but I still have the odd one that takes a few shots to settle.

I've been floating the idea of having an extended number of sighters (for barrel fouling purposes) allowed in the rules, just for the first range of the day. This was done at US Nationals in Raton, with a similar "blow-off" session in the FCWC. Some think it wouldn't get up because the current rule against blow-off shots has been drummed in for a long time.

Alan

johnk

#28 Postby johnk » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:00 am

AlanF wrote:I've been floating the idea of having an extended number of sighters (for barrel fouling purposes) allowed in the rules, just for the first range of the day. This was done at US Nationals in Raton, with a similar "blow-off" session in the FCWC.

Alan,

I wouldn't favour that. I've spent considerable time developing a procedure that results in my barrels being acceptably clean and capable of maintaining group, so I reckon it is one of the necessary skills, like wind judgment, basid firearm maintenance, position development & handloading. Proponents of multiple sighters including BR & ISSF have a contrary belief & I acknowledge that, but heck, if it gives me an edge........

John

AlanF

#29 Postby AlanF » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:22 am

johnk wrote:I wouldn't favour that. I've spent considerable time developing a procedure that results in my barrels being acceptably clean and capable of maintaining group, so I reckon it is one of the necessary skills, like wind judgment...

Fair comment John. Without asking you for details, does it work for all barrels?

Aubrey

#30 Postby Aubrey » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:34 am

I had a barrel that took 5 to 8 shots to go from clean to back into the fouled group, then it was consistent. Needless to say I did not buy from across the ditch again...

I have a Benchmark barrel and it shoots into the group every time.

A bit of Froglube in the barrel definitely helps.
Aubrey Sonnenberg
Concord RC, Sydney
Accurise: Aim for Accuracy!

Return to “Equipment & Technical”