155g Hybrid projectiles ?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Josh Cox

#16 Postby Josh Cox » Sun May 25, 2014 5:28 pm

800m, just a bit over 1 moa, less than .5 with the noslers.

David B

#17 Postby David B » Sun May 25, 2014 9:16 pm

How fast are they going? What amount of run out? I would expect the hybrids to out shoot Noslers at longer ranges. I run them at 2980 plus.

Josh Cox

#18 Postby Josh Cox » Mon May 26, 2014 6:02 am

I have not Chrono'd, the time of flight from the et shows about 100mS quicker for the hybrids, they are about three minutes better on elevation, just not grouping.

The only config so far that showed promise was ten thou jam soft seated (only neck sized the first 2mm of the neck). Not a configuration I'd like to take to a queens or prize meet, just incase I had to unload a live round.

I will put the hybrids in the back of my ammo safe and try again with the next barrel.

saum2

#19 Postby saum2 » Mon May 26, 2014 9:41 am

try 13 - 15 thou jump, 1 - 3 thou run out max. 2206H & Fed primer

DaveMc

#20 Postby DaveMc » Mon May 26, 2014 12:14 pm

Josh,
sounds like a smart move. We often say "let the barrel do the talking" - if it likes Noslers, feed it Noslers. I believe you have the HBC working well also? These will probably make 1000 yards much better if you are shooting longs but by the looks of your scores and elevation spread at 800m with the Noslers it is hard to go past them. Many Shooters only dream of half minute at 800m so it is all good - load and enjoy. :D

Josh Cox

#21 Postby Josh Cox » Mon May 26, 2014 1:14 pm

Thanks Dave, yes hbcs are looking very promising, one more days testing with ten shot groups and ill be happy to jump across.

Brad Y

#22 Postby Brad Y » Mon May 26, 2014 1:28 pm

The hybrids are a very appealing bullet to the shooter, with great BC's and a "seating depth insensitive" reputation. However I have found them a little finicky to get right. Often they are near on good enough but not quite 'there' and it takes alot of fine tuning (barrel life and lots of projectiles) to get them exactly right.

In 6.5mm I tried them over the VLD because I wanted to jump projectiles not jam them. It worked out that they shot best with a jam and VLD's shot the same POI (jagged that dunno how) at 900m with the same jam. Ive gone to VLD's as they are cheaper and the BC difference is practically nothing.

In 6mm, I did alot of research as there are rumoured fat and skinny batches of the 105 hybrid. In the dasher I decided that I would start testing with a 50 thou jump on my 'fat' projectiles and possibly go to 60 thou. I havent done any seating depth testing as they are holding the X ring beautifully. Again lucky with them. However Im looking at other projectiles that are a little more consistent in dimension for 1000ydBR which is ultimately what I built the dasher for. VLD's will be my next projectile to try, as will be lapua scenars and 103 copperheads.

In 7mm, Again I found they need alot of work. Got some good groups in the short ranges but they were a little hollow at longer ranges. The VLD's just worked straight up with the 10 thou jam. There is a difference in BC which is probably worth trying a bit more to get them to work, but for now I just need my 7mm working and not being used as a test barrel. Once I get a new barrel I will revisit what I shoot in it- the BC on them is great and they are able to get a good gain from pointing as well. I never tried them jammed in my rifle but persisted for so long with them jumped. Even though I diagnosed my problem as a loose scope rail, the VLD's just shot tighter.

End of the day accuracy reigns supreme and despite what we think we might lose with BC advantage we really do make up with having confidence in a rifle. Knowing its going to hold x ring waterline when its windy and being capable of 60's with high x counts is what matters when its calm. I recommend Daves advice- feed that gun what it likes and enjoy the shooting.

Josh Cox

#23 Postby Josh Cox » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:37 pm

Got the Hybrids to fly, very nicely infact, had to slow them down and they are shooting as good as my other loads.

OuttaAmmo

#24 Postby OuttaAmmo » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:52 pm

Why did you have to slow them down? Do you mean this is where they are shooting nicely?

Josh Cox

#25 Postby Josh Cox » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:03 pm

Slowed them down to get them to group.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”