The death of a good barrel from Bartlein point of view

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

BATattack

#46 Postby BATattack » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:22 pm

I've been playing with a new bartline 6.5mm and just seeing how it goes with no load development. Think I've already shot 2 or 3 possibles with about 80 rounds in matches.

Today I did some load testing in the morning with some good results and in the afternoon I used some ammo with a random load I put together during the week. Still managed a 119.10. That's a 199.10 for you frank :lol:

Bottom line is this is a bloody good barrel! It seems very accurate and it fouls less than any other barrel I have ever seen or heard of. It's unbelievable !!

so far I'm very impressed with my first bartline! Thanks Frank

One thing I've noticed with the borescope is this barrel doesn't seem to be as shiny as any of my others and had slightly visible lapping marks that run parallel to the rifling. It's only had 90 or so rounds through it so it should be interesting to see how it pans out in the long term. :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)

plumbs7

#47 Postby plumbs7 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:43 pm

Hi Cam , when u say that u start 3-5 inches forward of the chamber . Do you clean from the muzzle end and then stop at that distance. Then push the patch clear through the breech? And if so why don't you clean all the way? Regards Graham.😎

Cameron Mc

#48 Postby Cameron Mc » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:33 pm

plumbs7 wrote:Hi Cam , when u say that u start 3-5 inches forward of the chamber . Do you clean from the muzzle end and then stop at that distance. Then push the patch clear through the breech? And if so why don't you clean all the way? Regards Graham.😎

Graham, I clean 3 to 5 " in front of the chamber with JB. Always clean from the chamber end with the rod. When I am done with the JB, I push a Butches Bore Shine soaked patch right through. Then repeat, then keep running dry patches though till they show no black.

Hope that makes sense
Cam

plumbs7

#49 Postby plumbs7 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:35 pm

Thanks Cam , for that . See u both this week . Up Dalby / Tara RC ! 😎

Frank Green

#50 Postby Frank Green » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:08 pm

BATattack wrote:I've been playing with a new bartline 6.5mm and just seeing how it goes with no load development. Think I've already shot 2 or 3 possibles with about 80 rounds in matches.

Today I did some load testing in the morning with some good results and in the afternoon I used some ammo with a random load I put together during the week. Still managed a 119.10. That's a 199.10 for you frank :lol:

Bottom line is this is a bloody good barrel! It seems very accurate and it fouls less than any other barrel I have ever seen or heard of. It's unbelievable !!

so far I'm very impressed with my first bartline! Thanks Frank

One thing I've noticed with the borescope is this barrel doesn't seem to be as shiny as any of my others and had slightly visible lapping marks that run parallel to the rifling. It's only had 90 or so rounds through it so it should be interesting to see how it pans out in the long term. :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)

A 199-10! Nothing wrong with that! Great shooting!

The lapping marks as you call it is the lay of the finish in the grooves and nothing more and nothing to be concerned about.

Thanks for buying and using the stick!

Later, Frank
Last edited by Frank Green on Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frank Green

#51 Postby Frank Green » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:12 pm

ecomeat wrote:As Frank pointed out, the grooves of the barrel in question are very highly polished? If you hold the barrel section up to let the sun reflect on it, it's a blinding glare all right ! It looks like liquid mercury, it's that shiney......but is that by itself such a bad thing ? An old cow cocky like me would have thought that a bore "polish" was actually meant to do that :idea:
I have also heard all these stories about barrels wrecked by cleaning, with bore PASTE at the top end of so many wrecked barrels......yet basically every bench rest shooter you talk to or read about, chooses to clean with JBs Paste all day every day.....and they all claim to get good barrel life ?

That's one of the things that has us puzzled. The bore (grooves mostly) look like they've been chrome plated it is so shiny! They shouldn't look like that.

Off hand I don't think the grooves have that much of an effect finish wise. Some copper build up in the barrel is normal. If it's going to build up anywhere I prefer to see it in the grooves. If the copper has a lot of build up on the tops of the lands that's when the accuracy/fouling seems to have a negative effect.

Later, Frank

DannyS

#52 Postby DannyS » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:29 am

Bump, any updates

Cheers
Danny

Craig McGowan

#53 Postby Craig McGowan » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:34 am

Hi Danny,

Tony has just moved house and is having phone and internet issues. Should be back online in a day or two with any luck.

Cheers

Craig.

johnk

#54 Postby johnk » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:18 am

Lucky, you.

My HDD went belly up last Thursday night while it was supposedly backing up on my new external hard which I needed because .........

I'm waiting to hear what the professionals can get back for me, specifically, my life since 13 September last year.

DannyS

#55 Postby DannyS » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:30 am

Thanks Craig, poor old Tony will be suffering withdrawal symptoms.

John, know how you feel had similar happen a couple of years ago, good luck.

Cheers
Danny

Frank Green

#56 Postby Frank Green » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:24 pm

DannyS wrote:Bump, any updates

Cheers
Danny

From our end....at this time nothing new. I'm drawing a blank so far. Tony's replacement barrel is working it's way thru the shop.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

macguru

#57 Postby macguru » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:21 am

My HDD went belly up last Thursday night while it was supposedly backing up on my new external hard which I needed because ......... I'm waiting to hear what the professionals can get back for me, specifically, my life since 13 September last year.

•••••••••••••••••

If its a mac, you need a guru :)

johnk

#58 Postby johnk » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:52 am

I thought a Mac was what Rolf Harris wore on kids' shows.

AlanF

#59 Postby AlanF » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:06 am

Here is a report from Peter Smith on the piece of Tony's barrel he was given to look at.

Longranger

#60 Postby Longranger » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:10 am

Redding beads being blasted down the barrel?

Love to see the outcome of this!

Return to “Equipment & Technical”