6.5 creedmoor barrel

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

jelly

6.5 creedmoor barrel

#1 Postby jelly » Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:08 pm

Hey i have a lithgow 102 6.5 creedmoor and looking at upgrading the stock and barrel any idea where i could purchase these upgrades.
Thanks

Lithgow

Re: 6.5 creedmoor barrel

#2 Postby Lithgow » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:41 pm

What do you mean by upgrading?
Nothing can really be done to the Barrel, it should shoot an honest half moa if using quality components and some range time.
Cheek risers, bag riders and forend mods are a custom job at a machine shop or Gunsmith.
Steve G
Nowra Rifle Club NSW

jelly

#3 Postby jelly » Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:12 am

I was thinking of getting a new chassis or stock as its just a standard stock.
Was wondering if i could change the barrel out for a stainless barrel.
Ive seen stocks and chassis for sale for the lithgow just wondering on the best option.
Thanks

Lithgow

#4 Postby Lithgow » Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:34 am

To be competitive in F Class, you need to know what discipline you want to shoot first, then pick a stock and caliber to suit.
The Lithgow action will be fine but is alot more agricultural than most of the 2 lug actions most commonly used.
I am currently building a new F open rig with the Lithgow action but have been shooting F Open for a couple of years with both a 102 and 105, so know what I am expecting.
Spend some time at the range developing the 102, get really good at reloading, learn to read the conditions by shooting comp every weekend, and remember, consistency is key.
Once these fundamentals are met, you will know what you want to build.
Experience can't be bought, a competitive rifle can but an inexperienced shooter still can't just make a rifle shoot.
Steve G
Nowra Rifle Club NSW

jelly

#5 Postby jelly » Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:28 pm

Hey thanks for the advice im not looking at being completely competitive with this rifle just after a more adjustable stock and a barrel that won't overheat so quickly.
I like my lithgow otherwise

Lithgow

#6 Postby Lithgow » Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:55 pm

I've never had point of impact shift due to heat, even in 15 shot matches averaging 14 seconds between shots.
SCSA do a chassis to suit the 102, but I have no first hand knowledge on their quality or adaptability.
The other option you have is an LA105 in 6.5, you could then send it to a gunsmith and have it chambered as 6.5-284, that would be a cracker?
Steve G
Nowra Rifle Club NSW

Return to “Equipment & Technical”