New Affordable Joystick Front Rest

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

IanP

New Affordable Joystick Front Rest

#1 Postby IanP » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:54 pm

It seems you no longer need to win cross-lotto to buy a decent joystick front rest. Caldwell have released their Fire Control Joystick rest and have had favorable reviews.

Check out this website for the pros and cons for this rest and while your there have a look the video which shows it in operation.

http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2008/04/16/

If anyone has tried this unit in Oz please post your review on this forum.

ned kelly

#2 Postby ned kelly » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:42 am

G'Day All,
I'd be careful about this one......purely from an engineering point of view. Add a typical F class rifle weight to the bag & top, there is a big a big canterlevered weight that small diameter shaft has to support without ''bounce'' being induced into the bag top.

Might work ok for a regular hunting rifle, but it simply doesn't compare for strength & rigidity of the SEB or Farley rests.

food for thought anyway.........

Cheerio Ned

IanP

#3 Postby IanP » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:38 pm

ned kelly wrote:G'Day All,
I'd be careful about this one......purely from an engineering point of view. Add a typical F class rifle weight to the bag & top, there is a big a big canterlevered weight that small diameter shaft has to support without ''bounce'' being induced into the bag top.

Might work ok for a regular hunting rifle, but it simply doesn't compare for strength & rigidity of the SEB or Farley rests.

food for thought anyway.........

Cheerio Ned

In the review that I linked to the reviewer had this to say, "Function Test — Overall, the Rest Works Well
After making the adjustments, the joystick moves freely with good positive motion. It’s not glass smooth but is good enough that I won’t complain. I imagine it will get smoother with time. I had a 17-lb rifle sitting on it just to see if the vertical height would creep down and it didn’t move in 45 minutes."

Its certainly not the build quality of a SEB or Farley but I think it is functional with heavy rifles. There will be plenty of reviews to read to evaluate this rest and it may be the start of something good.

ned kelly

#4 Postby ned kelly » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:13 pm

G'Day All,
I've read the review; time will tell if it is good enough to make the grade in competition.......

However if you are after a joystick rest, do not forget the Shadetree Co-axial top that fits existing Hart, Bald Eagle, Sinclair bases. I used a borrowed one at the 2007 BR nationals and that convinced me and I bought a SEB that wasn't spoken for. Nevertheless, the Shadetree top is an excellent piece of kit.

Also, FWIW, there was around a 50:50 spread of farley to SEB rests at the time. As best that I could judge, approx 70% of the field had gear stick rests.

Cheerio Ned

Daniel

Stick shifters

#5 Postby Daniel » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:36 pm

While recently shooting a 6 & 1/2 - 284 from a Farley stick shifter atop a bench, quite a bit of "bounce" was noticeable. Changed to a Bald Eagle and the bounce disappeared.
Never had the problem with the BRX or PPC, maybe due to a bit of extra recoil or difference in stock design.

Dazza

#6 Postby Dazza » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:16 am

Ian,

If you decide on the Caldwell, just remember to budget for a new front bag. The standard ones are junk :cry:

Darren

IanP

#7 Postby IanP » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:15 pm

Dazza wrote:Ian,

If you decide on the Caldwell, just remember to budget for a new front bag. The standard ones are junk :cry:

Darren

Thanks for the advice, theres always a catch with a bargain price.

Hangfire

#8 Postby Hangfire » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:56 pm

Anyone out there using this rest? I am interested to hear how it performs as I am in the market for an entry level, joystick front rest but don't want to fork out my hard earned on something that is absolute junk.

Other alternatives welcome?

Thanks.

Tim.

RAVEN

#9 Postby RAVEN » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:47 am

Cordwell rock rest sling shot BR style with Sinclair speed screw and seb front bag also F-Class sand feet.
Better value better system.

Hangfire

#10 Postby Hangfire » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:13 am

Thanks R.B. I'll catch up with you at the range this w/end if your going and discuss it more.

Lesson to self and other newbies if you want to learn about this sport:

Get out to the range!

Cheers.

RAVEN

#11 Postby RAVEN » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:21 am

Glad to
See U there :D

Return to “Equipment & Technical”