White River Large Rifle Primers

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Steve N

White River Large Rifle Primers

#1 Postby Steve N » Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:15 pm

I managed to get a box of these today from a local gun shop
They were nearly sold out by the time I heard about them and only have several hundred left.
Never heard of them but the box says they're made in the USA and the package is very similar to CCI. They are a silver colour like CCI 200s

The shop owner was not sure when the supplier would have more but hopefully things are improving...

willow

Re: White River Large Rifle Primers

#2 Postby willow » Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:27 pm

The importer and distributor is based at Oak Flats, NSW, just over an hour south of Sydney. Even the yanks don't know a great deal about this primer, but from the reports I've read, the manufacturing facility is state of the art and testing of the primers puts them in the ballpark of CCI benchrest primers as far as ES/SD is concerned with the usual cartridges like .308 and 6.5 creedmoors. The distributor will be bringing in quarterly shipments after meeting with White River Energetics at SHOT show. Unfortunately my local GS didn't pre-order any so I don't have anything further to add from a real-info standpoint.

JezL

#3 Postby JezL » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:16 am

Willow is correct ... I spoke with the guys at 'Extreme Outdoor Sports' who is bringing these in. Previously the WRE primers were being sold directly as oem to ammunition manufacturer's and only recently have branched off under D&M Holdings to sell direct to public.
Apparently when researching and developing the primers, they used CCI as the benchrmark to replicate.

EOS have their next shipment due "around May" ... But yes, regular shipments would be great, especially if the primer is quality.

Feel free to give Adrien a call at EOS and he can help with any additional information.
Regards,
Jez

PeteFox

#4 Postby PeteFox » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:52 pm

Went to the website of Extreme Outdoor Sports and was able to order 2000 of these LR primers direct including free freight to my door.
I don't know how this works with 'dangerous goods' ,but we will see.
Ten minutes later they were sold out
Pete

Peterla

#5 Postby Peterla » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:35 pm

I tested the Indian primers and found they were a bit hotter than the CCI ones.
Keen to hear how these stack up against the CCI BRs when those that have them test them out.

Steve N

#6 Postby Steve N » Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:39 am

PeteFox wrote:Went to the website of Extreme Outdoor Sports and was able to order 2000 of these LR primers direct including free freight to my door.
Pete

I'll be interested to see how the postage goes. How much was the freight Pete?

PeteFox

#7 Postby PeteFox » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:04 am

Steve N wrote:
PeteFox wrote:Went to the website of Extreme Outdoor Sports and was able to order 2000 of these LR primers direct including free freight to my door.
Pete

I'll be interested to see how the postage goes. How much was the freight Pete?

Freight was free
The Barn were advertising these for about $40 per 1000 cheaper, so there is a cost to free freight
Pete

Cyrus

#8 Postby Cyrus » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:33 pm

Something I stumbled across for those interested

PeteFox

#9 Postby PeteFox » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:33 pm

My White River primers arrived today.

I'll be doing a bit more measuring later, but I grabbed a random ten and checked their height, mainly because of internet rumours circulating that the primers were overly high and outside SAAMI spec and would have to be compressed heavily to fit a standard primer pocket. More internet BS

In the image, the red lines represent the SAAMI min and max primer height. Average of the ten is 0.13" which is right in the middle. Overall spread in height was 0.0015"
The green lines represent max and min primer pocket depth. Primers are at the upper end but I don't see it as a problem.
All primers fit within the spec
White River Primer.jpg

Later I'll remove some anvils and measure the cups and also measure some Federal and CCI primers for comparison and tidy up the graph.
Pete

EDIT overall height spread is 0.003"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”