Lee Collet Die Small Decapping Pin

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

tom1

Lee Collet Die Small Decapping Pin

#1 Postby tom1 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:51 am

Okay, I've just sold one kidney to buy some 308 Palma brass. I normally use a small base die & a Lee Collet die to prepare my 308 ADI or Winchester brass. Can you buy the smaller decapping pin to put into the collet die ? Or do I have to turn down the existing pin with some wet & dry ?
The other option I have is to use the Forster BR Full length sizing die I have . The decapping pin on this die just goes into the 308 Palma brass flash hole. I bought this die off a bloke on this website but haven't used it yet. Would prefer to stay with my current method of preparing brass. Thanks for any replies.
Brad Probert

MarkS

Re: Lee Collet Die Small Decapping Pin

#2 Postby MarkS » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:00 pm

Lee do have small diameter pins, they refer to them as "undersize".
See their website for part number
Going broke one primer at a time

Blindbat

#3 Postby Blindbat » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:43 pm

Suggestion 1 - put the mandrel in a drill (or a lathe if you're so lucky) and use emery paper or similar to hone the pin to the correct size.

Suggestion 2 - Use a Redding universal small pin decapping die for SP or a Lee decapping die for LP on an old cheep press and remove/cut the decapping pins from all FL and collet dies. The cheep press is the dirty press and all other processes downstream on good equipment is kept clean. Decapping dies are relatively cheep (other kidney?).

Daveh

#4 Postby Daveh » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:05 pm

I was under the impression the undersized Lee pins were smaller in the neck area where the collet forms the neck down.
I still had to turn the decapper section down. I don't think removing it would be a good idea as it holds the mandrel centre for the collet to do its job.
Dave

Tim L

#5 Postby Tim L » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:13 pm

+1 for Blindbat.
I just put the mandrel in a drill and oh so carefully brushed it with the edge a new grinding disc going in the opposite direction. 10 years ago, and still going strong.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”