What coatings on dies to build them up?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

RDavies

#1 Postby RDavies » Mon May 24, 2010 10:31 am

I have heard of some coatings to build dies up, maybe adding .0005-.001" to each side. I have some FLS dies which dont quite squeeze the brass down enough and was hoping to get them built up with some sort of coating, does any one know who does this?

RAVEN

#2 Postby RAVEN » Mon May 24, 2010 11:24 am

look at something like this Rod
titanium nitride coating service
or chroming services
Cheers
RB

Woody_rod

#3 Postby Woody_rod » Mon May 24, 2010 6:26 pm

RAVEN wrote:look at something like this Rod
titanium nitride coating service
or chroming services
Cheers
RB

TiN, is generally an EXTERNAL coating, not internal - as it is an atmospheric type process, not immersed. Surface Technologies in Thomastown is probably the biggest PVD coating service in AU, which is whom we use for our actions. PM me for details, can provide direct lines to the people there that matter.

Chrome is an idea, but the 0.0005" to 0.001" might be a problem, as is post coating polishing. PVD is in single digit microns (5 decimal places of an inch).

Also possible is electroless nickel (or nickel / other metal combinations), which is a bit like chrome, only can be controlled a bit more in thickness, so I am told.

Woody_rod

Re: What coatings on dies to build them up?

#4 Postby Woody_rod » Mon May 24, 2010 6:27 pm

RDavies wrote:I have heard of some coatings to build dies up, maybe adding .0005-.001" to each side. I have some FLS dies which dont quite squeeze the brass down enough and was hoping to get them built up with some sort of coating, does any one know who does this?

Another suggestion would be to buy smaller dies....

bolster55

Die coatings

#5 Postby bolster55 » Mon May 24, 2010 6:56 pm

Most coatings only deposit to a depth equivalent to the diameter sucessfully, eg diam 10mm, depth to 10mm.
You could look at "Tufftride" its a form of nitriding which may deposit enough.

Regards

agro

#6 Postby agro » Mon May 24, 2010 8:22 pm

Another form of coating is nickel plating. I've had this type of work done by Surface Technologies in Thomastown.

cheers

johnk

Re: What coatings on dies to build them up?

#7 Postby johnk » Mon May 24, 2010 9:01 pm

RDavies wrote:I have heard of some coatings to build dies up, maybe adding .0005-.001" to each side. I have some FLS dies which dont quite squeeze the brass down enough and was hoping to get them built up with some sort of coating, does any one know who does this?
What part of the case isn't being sized?

Small base dies are oten required when using used brass in new chambers. I recently had to resort to this when running some not exactly geriatric brass in a new barrel that was cut with a reamer from a different supplier.

In another case, I stoned several thou off the top of a shellholder so a feiend could reuse once fired brass from a generous commercial chamber in his target rifle. A standard die didn't quite have the grunt to remove the flab from all domensions, particularly the muffin ring above the case head.

Incidentally, don't most metallic coatings require buffing or polishing after application to remove irregularities?

RDavies

#8 Postby RDavies » Tue May 25, 2010 8:09 am

I will get onto Surface Technolies, Thanks for the tip. The shoulder gets pushed back far enough, its just the sides which need a bit more of a squeeze. I didnt want to get smaller dies as I might have to try a few to get the right one. Even with my 6x47, I went through a few dies until I got one which sort of worked, so maybe it could get a coat as well.
The dies I am using are not hardened, so I was hoping a coating might make it a bit longer lasting and a bit more slippery.
I,ll give surface Tech a call.

Razer

reloading die

#9 Postby Razer » Wed May 26, 2010 10:13 pm

Hi Rod, I have a M852 chamber in a True-flite barrel[.308]. With Lapua brass I found that occasionally I had a round that would not chamber[after a few times neck sized]. Bought a Redding small base die and with a smidgen of Lee lube on the round it could be safely cycled [slowly,finger pressure]through the press :shock: . Saves pulling round to pieces and they then cycle in action perfectly. Now, before I get howled down,this is a damn sight safer than trying to use the camming power of the bolt to force the round into the action while on the mound [seen too much of that],as there is "no firing pin" in the press/shellholder. I have found new brass that can be too tight, so now any new brass that I use gets run through this die. Have had no trouble with lighter brass such as Winchester[highly under=rated] Reminton,etc. The Redding small base die is virtually a sleeve which squeezes the brass that tad that it needs to meet original calibre specs.
Ray.

AlanF

#10 Postby AlanF » Wed May 26, 2010 11:15 pm

I remember looking into this a few years ago. I wanted to make a die by reaming a nulon die blank with my own chamber reamer, then electroplating the inside to reduce it to sizer dimensions. I believe David Kerr (from Melbourne, not the one from WA) was doing this, but I don't think he's into armouring now.It got a bit beyond me, so I had a matching pair of reamers made (finishing and sizer) instead.

Alan

Woody_rod

#11 Postby Woody_rod » Thu May 27, 2010 9:51 am

AlanF wrote:I remember looking into this a few years ago. I wanted to make a die by reaming a nulon die blank with my own chamber reamer, then electroplating the inside to reduce it to sizer dimensions. I believe David Kerr (from Melbourne, not the one from WA) was doing this, but I don't think he's into armouring now.It got a bit beyond me, so I had a matching pair of reamers made (finishing and sizer) instead.

Alan

The two reamer approach is the best really. Is how I intend to go when time and finances allow.

bruce moulds

#12 Postby bruce moulds » Sat May 29, 2010 9:57 pm

rdavies,
could a competent gunsmith polish your chamber a bit bigger?
bruce moulds.

RDavies

#13 Postby RDavies » Sat May 29, 2010 11:25 pm

Bruce, I have polished chambers out slightly for the same reason. (not that I am a competent gunsmith, I can hardly make a cup of tea by myself). I was thinking that with a good coating, the dies might be slipperier and last longer as well with a hard coating.

bruce moulds

#14 Postby bruce moulds » Sun May 30, 2010 8:49 am

rdavies,
apparrently some blank die material can be chambered with a chambering reamer, and when heat treated will shrink to be a good size for a min fls die.
another option is to fls cases with the die you have, and purchase a chambering reamer which will suit the fls die. thinking backwards so to speak. this way, all future chambers will suit the die.
bruce moulds.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”