The Dogs of Wild!

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Hilly-WA

The Dogs of Wild!

#1 Postby Hilly-WA » Sat May 29, 2010 9:51 pm

Have any of you guys out there, used "Wild Dog" stocks for T/R, F/Std or F/Open??

Are the worth a look, whats the quality like, how do they perform, are they suitable, bang for buck, etc etc any feedback would be appreciated.....

#-o
Cheers, Jas

Seddo

#2 Postby Seddo » Sat May 29, 2010 11:08 pm

I have a few but they are on varmint rifles. For that purpose they are great. I bought a varmint stock for my omark and the wife cracked the shits so i have lsited it for sale. now that the heat is off i have been thinking of building a omark in 284win.

I am thinking of taking the 22-250 to the range in 2 weeks for my first f class match, its only 300 yards so the calibre and the 15x scope wont be an issue. I know i will have to single load it but it could still work, i ordered a magazine sled buts its not here yet.

Tactical Stock - 22-250
Varmint Stock - 223

Hilly-WA

#3 Postby Hilly-WA » Sun May 30, 2010 4:32 pm

Nice picks of some nice rifles!!!!!!

How did you find the Tactical stock, weight, quality of finish, overall out of 10??

Do they make them to fit Omark Mod-44's in 5.56 and/or 7.62

Hilly

Seddo

#4 Postby Seddo » Sun May 30, 2010 9:27 pm

I shot the varmint stocked 223 today and it is very nice to shoot off hand and it would be light enough on a short barreled rifle to carry around. The tactical on the other hand is about 2lb heaver than the varmint but is more comfortable to shoot. you dont notice the extra weight when you are sighting a target. For me the best stock woudl be the tactical without the extra weight of the adjustable cheek peice.

As for a score out of 10, i would give the tactical a 9 and the varmint a 8. The varmint would loose a point because its not as comfortable as the tactical in the shooting position, i like the thumbhole.

The only stock they make for the omark is the varmint.

Hangfire

#5 Postby Hangfire » Mon May 31, 2010 8:25 pm

G'day, I am a newcomer to this style of shooting and yet to shoot a single shot out of my rifle.

I can't answer all of your questions but I can tell you a couple of things about the Wildog stock for the Omark action as I am in the process of getting my Omark M-44 re-barrelled and fitted to one of the varmint style stocks.

Firstly, they are only available for the Omark in the varmint profile, and I imagine they would be available for 5.56 as well as other calibres. You just have to tell them what type of action you have (2 or 3 screw as well as what adapter you will be fitting to it) Or if you are like me and know bugger-all about the Omark send them off a pic of you action removed from the stock!
I don't consider it to be the optimum shape for this type of shooting, The slightly ramped underside of the buttstock isn't the most conducive shape for riding the rear bag in a dead flat plane.The comb is aprox 10mm below the horizontal line of the forend channel rail, but its not a bad compromise when the options are few and you end up with a dual purpose rifle that could be used in the field as well as on the range. It is also one of the most economical ways of getting into the sport and learning the ropes with a well proven action, and a stock I think is superior in shape to the original for this type of shooting.

They feel robust enough and are made from carbon fibre. They weigh 500grms more than the original wood stock weighed without top guard at around 1.4kg, and come ready bedded for a straight drop in but get some extra bedding work done in the hope of getting as much accuracy out of the rifle that is possible.

I am looking forward to taking "The Dog" out for a run & learning about F-Class and I am also interested to hear more from anyone out there who has also walked this path with their Omark.

Will keep you posted on how it performs when it is up and running.

Tim.M.

Hilly-WA

#6 Postby Hilly-WA » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:37 am

Hangfire, yeh keep us posted on how it goes..

Do you know why the Mod-44 wont fit into the tactical dog stock?

I guess the overall size of the action is too big and they would have to make a new mold or major mods etc....

might email them and ask a few questions!

cheers guys, Hilly

Paul Janzso

STOCKS

#7 Postby Paul Janzso » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:36 am

Why not give Peter from Pro-Cal Trading a call. (site sponsor )
He has MBR Tracker style stocks in laminate that are made for F Class shooting and cheaper .
No use beating about the bush , if you want to shoot F Class , set up for it and enjoy the benefits of having the right tool for the job.

Cheers
Paul
Time's a wasted wot's not spent shooti'n BARNARD 300WSM's

Hangfire

#8 Postby Hangfire » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:50 pm

Hilly, I would hazard a guess and say the reason they don't make the tactical version for the Omark would be they don't have a mould for it. The actions they do make them for are all magazine type actions therefore ruling the Omark out.
Don't hold your breath waiting for W/D to reply to your enquiry. Their stocks may be great but their communication skills are just short of ordinary and the time from ordering to receiving was fairly lengthy..6-8 weeks.

I also agree with pest-bird (Paul), If you are looking at setting up a rifle specifically for F-Class shooting look elsewhere.

I don't expect to shoot any records with "The Dog" I just want to get out there on the line and hone my skills for when I get out in the field, as well as share and enjoy a sport with others of a like mind.

Tim.

Hilly-WA

#9 Postby Hilly-WA » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:11 am

Thanks Guys for your input, I think I will scrub the Dog and go forth to look for other options....

I sent them a email about a year ago and got no reply, thought they had gone out of business. but obviously they haven't after seeing their Shot Show 2010 vid the other day.

Will have a look on the web at the MBR Tracker etc

Cheers, Hilly

Return to “Equipment & Technical”