Scope Ring Height?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Hangfire

Scope Ring Height?

#1 Postby Hangfire » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:50 am

Does scope ring height matter in terms of getting the utmost accuracy out of your F-Class rifles.

What are your thoughts on scope ring heights for F/C shooting, go high or low?

Thanks.

Tim.

IanP

#2 Postby IanP » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:50 am

Its pretty simple really!

1. The rings have to be high enough so the objective lens (big diameter lens at front) clears the barrel.

2. Height correct for comfortable alignment of eye with eyepiece and cheek weld.

It makes no difference to accuracy, its a personal comfort and ergonomics thing.

Most people have their mounts set on a picatinny rail so the height of the rings is further raised by the rail.

Ian

AlanF

#3 Postby AlanF » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:54 am

Tim,

The primary requirement with ring height is for the objective lens to clear the barrel. You might want to allow a little extra to allow for a different scope, extension tube, or a thicker barrel later. Another consideration is to match the scope height to the height of the comb on the stock i.e. make it suit the best "cheek weld" position. I don't believe there is any performance disadvantage in having the scope axis well above the barrel axis - it has minimal effect on canting errors, and may even help reduce torque recoil to some extent.

Alan

PS Have now seen your post Ian - we seem to agree on everything - whew!

johnk

#4 Postby johnk » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:50 pm

I came to the conclusion some time back that the benchresters have got it right. If you want the best accuracy, don't cheek the stock at all. Free recoiling needs to be just that.

Accuracy (particularly elevation) improved for me enormously when I chucked the cheekpiece off my FS rifle completely, though it might be an issue for those shooting off a bipod who nudge the butt with their cheek to adjust their windage.

Hangfire

#5 Postby Hangfire » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:44 pm

Thanks Fellas, I was a bit unsure and thought higher rings might help reduce the amount of pressure placed by the cheek on the butstock therefore enabling the rifle to recoil in a more consistently line and helping to reduce canting during recoil. Just wanted to hear what you experience F-Classers have found.

Thanks.

Tim.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”