F class rifle

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Beefa61

F class rifle

#1 Postby Beefa61 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:20 pm

Hello all,

I am thinking of changing from Fullbore to F Class. My plan was to convert my old Omark 44B.

My plan was to have it re barrelled (As it still has the original barrel) and have it drilled and tapped for scope mounts and I was thinking of using a Weaver 36X40 scope. I don't shoot very regularly, and sadly price IS an object.

Would this be all I needed to do and is there any advice you good people might give me? Does anyone know of a reputable Gunsmith (preferably on the Central Coast) who could do the work?

Paul Janzso

Omark for F Class

#2 Postby Paul Janzso » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:25 am

Yep, that is a great idea.
The Weaver 36x scope is a great scope for the job, thats what I have on my F Class rifles.
You will need a 20 min tapered scope base, plus scope mounts to get your elevation to 1,000 yards.
A F Class type by-pod and a bunny ear, preferably cordura, rear bag and you are set to go.
I live in S.A. so I do not know of any TR/ F Class gun smiths in your area. Your club might know who to recomed.
Cheers
Paul
Time's a wasted wot's not spent shooti'n BARNARD 300WSM's

Beefa61

#3 Postby Beefa61 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:32 pm

Thanks Paul, I welcome the advice.

(Also) Paul

Paul Janzso

F Class

#4 Postby Paul Janzso » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:41 pm

Hi Paul

Just one issue with the 36x Weaver. It is very eye relief sensitive. If you are used to using high powered scopes you will have no trouble, but if not, a bit of practice and you will master the 36x scope well.
Just my opinion, there are shooters who like lower powered scopes or variable types so they can dial down the power in heavy mirage.

Cheers
Paul
Time's a wasted wot's not spent shooti'n BARNARD 300WSM's

Seddo

#5 Postby Seddo » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:36 pm

I am new to scopes over 15X and i just stuck a T36 on my omark. You do notice mirage but if you learn to read it (i cant) it can help. I have only shot the rifle twice with the T36 on it so i cant comment too much.
----------------------
Seddo

Moe City Rifle Club

Return to “Equipment & Technical”