which rings

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

338 EDGE

which rings

#1 Postby 338 EDGE » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:20 pm

Hey guys, just recieved my new 6.5 x 47 lapua f- class rifle . which rings do you guys suggest. scope will be 8 x 32 nf or 36x weaver. thanks for your help.

stu_bear2002

#2 Postby stu_bear2002 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:03 pm

The simplest answer would be the best you can afford. :)
Some use NF others use weaver, lynx etc etc, Personally i have a set of millet rings atop of a davies 20moa rail on my rifle that were given to me whilst i was building my rifle and they havent budged or become loose since they were put on. Of course i knew i wouldnt be changing them any time soon so i used locktite on all my threads to keep everything securely in place.
Stuey
Stiller/holeshot .22LR
Bruno mod2(sleeved) .22LR
Rem7(sleeved) 6mmBR and 6mm Dasher
Stolle panda 6PPC
Winchester 101 12g

AlanF

#3 Postby AlanF » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:44 am

I have some experience with different brands of rings (Leupold, Weaver, NF and Warne). Of those, I prefer Leupold QRW (quick release for Weaver/Picatinny rail) - I remove and re-attach my scope at least once a day when competing and the QRWs have never let me down over the 7 full-on years I've used them, and they are reasonably priced.

They come in 3 different heights, and in 1 inch or 30mm. If in doubt, go for the higher ones. Technically, there's no real advantage in mounting your scope as low as possible on an F-Class rifle.

Alan

Dave P

#4 Postby Dave P » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:10 pm

Have used most types of rings and found that Kelby's are the best. Not the cheapest but they are very good.

BATattack

#5 Postby BATattack » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:24 pm

how do you go about preventing your kelby rings from slideing on your davidson rail?

a friend has all sorts of problems keeping his NF BR scope in position on his .284! kelbys suggested sanding the rail and tightening the screws. done all of that and screws are tighter than i ever thought could be possible with an aluminium ring and it still slides after 20 rounds :?

nighforce rings are good. also leupold QRW's as alan suggested. just use a piece of paper when you install the top half of the ring so the scope tube doesnt get scratched.

Dave P

#6 Postby Dave P » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:39 pm

BATattack wrote:how do you go about preventing your kelby rings from slideing on your davidson rail?

a friend has all sorts of problems keeping his NF BR scope in position on his .284! kelbys suggested sanding the rail and tightening the screws. done all of that and screws are tighter than i ever thought could be possible with an aluminium ring and it still slides after 20 rounds :?

nighforce rings are good. also leupold QRW's as alan suggested. just use a piece of paper when you install the top half of the ring so the scope tube doesnt get scratched.

Thats easy mate .. I dont use a davidson rail ... plenty of options for rails around. I suggest your mate call Peter Van Muers he can supply a rail that will sort the issue out I'm sure.

Warne QR mounts also work very well.

AlanF

#7 Postby AlanF » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:22 pm

Dave P wrote:...Warne QR mounts also work very well...

Dave,

You must have a very tolerant rail. The Warne QRs weren't a good fit on either of my rails - one from KHGS and the other from Bernie Hawes.

There are standard specifications for Picatinny rails, but many manufacturers must be simply copying other rails, and of course this leads eventually to dimensions outside spec.

Alan

BATattack

#8 Postby BATattack » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:21 pm

Thats easy mate .. I dont use a davidson rail ... plenty of options for rails around. I suggest your mate call Peter Van Muers he can supply a rail that will sort the issue out I'm sure.

problem is its a kelby f class action with a 20MOA davidson rail built in!!

Dave P

#9 Postby Dave P » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:50 pm

BATattack wrote:

problem is its a kelby f class action with a 20MOA davidson rail built in!!

Mate I have a Kelby Big Bore action with built in 20 MOA rail and I have never had any trouble with Kelby rings on that rifle.

Allan I wasnt clear ... Warne rings and bases

RDavies

#10 Postby RDavies » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:57 pm

The only rings I will ever use are the Burris Signiture rings, with the spherical inserts. These allow you to add offset inserts to zero your windage and add as much elevation as you need. They are self aligning so you dont need to lap your rings, and being plastic, they dont scratch your scope. They come in 1" and 30mm, with a few different heights. They come with different inserts, so you can gain up to 40 moa of elevation as well.

johnk

#11 Postby johnk » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:09 pm

Rod,

The only qualification to that is that I believe that the 30 mm mediums are risky at best. If you look at the cut they make for the foot to grip, it actually enters the hollow centre of the dished section where the plastic inserts sit, leaving limited material to retain the leg. I had a pair on my match rifle & both the buggers fractured at that point, leaving the scope less than adequately supported.

I assumed that the bad was the scope & I've yet to apologise to Leupold for returning it for repair. I didn't discover the breakage until I removed the replacement scope I fitted to the rifle when the scope feet were still in situ.

I'll take a snap of them some day.

John

PS: Burris replaced them sight unseen.

Dave P

#12 Postby Dave P » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:23 pm

RDavies wrote:The only rings I will ever use are the Burris Signiture rings, with the spherical inserts. These allow you to add offset inserts to zero your windage and add as much elevation as you need. They are self aligning so you dont need to lap your rings, and being plastic, they dont scratch your scope. They come in 1" and 30mm, with a few different heights. They come with different inserts, so you can gain up to 40 moa of elevation as well.

I would always check that rings are aligned properly. Self alignment is a great thing but I have seen some rings mounted that are well out of alignment. Burris would need (and may have I dont know) a lot of latitude in their set up to comensate for some I have seen. Often the problem is not in the rings but in the mounting being off line.

Pressure on the tube from non aligned rings can do some serious harm to your scope. As for lapping ... its not an difficult or ardous task.

338 EDGE

which rings

#13 Postby 338 EDGE » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:09 pm

Thanks for all the replys guys,think ill go with leupold quick release rings cheers Mick.

IanP

#14 Postby IanP » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:35 am

I know you have made up your mind with the QR's but I have used both the QR and the NF Ultralite rings and really liked the Nightforce rings the best.

The QR are heavy steel rings which raise the CG of the gun just a bit and if your close to your weight limit then the Ultralites are the way to go. Made from aircraft aluminium and titanium and reasonably priced.

Warne make the QR rings for Leupold and they are quality rings but I prefer Warne tactical rings (steel) over the QR design. You need a small ring spanner to remove them, just like the Ultralites.

I have also tried the new Weaver tactical rings which are aluminium with a full width steel picatinny cross bar. They are lighter than the QR and Warne tactical but I would rather use the steel rings if weight is not an issue as the quality is better than the Weaver Tactical.

IanP

338 EDGE

which rings

#15 Postby 338 EDGE » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:18 pm

Thanks Ian ill check the rings out you mentioned before i commit to the qrw, i also have a set of leupold 30mm prw rings laying around and havent ruled these out either. Regards Mick.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”