Does anyone make annealing kits

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

RDavies

Does anyone make annealing kits

#1 Postby RDavies » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:26 am

I will need to start annealing some cases soon and was wondering if anyone out there sells any kits to do annealing. I was after something to spin the case and hold the propane torch to keep it all consistant.

IanP

#2 Postby IanP » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:54 am

Rod,

Hornady do a kit, Look here: http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=3 ... ing_System

Plenty of info on 6mmBR.com.

I use a couple of different size shell holders that Malcolm Hill makes with a Bernzamatic propane torch (Bunnings). Some people simply buy the right size socket (supatools) for the case and spin it slowly in the flame with an electric drill or screwdriver.

The Bernzamatic torches are self standing and I have tried both MAPP and PROPANE gas with propane being all thats needed.

IanP

bobeager

Anneal Kit

#3 Postby bobeager » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:53 am

I made a tool similar to the Hornaday...drilled a hole in some 25mm round Aluminium stock...about the size of a dasher case up the shoulder, drilled another smaller hole in other end to take a hex bit with a press fit...put it together and turned in my power screw driver....same as Ian used a Bernzamatic Tortch in dull light conditions..counted to 12 to 14 seconds and dumped case into a bucket of water.

RDavies

#4 Postby RDavies » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:16 am

My toolkit consists of a shifter/hammer and a screw driver/chisel, so I might go for the hornady kit.
I saw some of the annealing machines from Ballastic Edge and Brassomatic on some overseas forums but was hoping some sort of local version would be available. Something to hold the burner in a consistant place while holding and spinning the case when I have the co ordination of Steady Eddie and mechanical abilities of Mister Bean would keep things consistant.

Cameron Mc

#5 Postby Cameron Mc » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:50 am

I just line up cases beside damp towel. Heat neck area only and push over cases onto towel. The damp towel draws away the heat quickly.
Less mess.

Cameron

M12LRPV

#6 Postby M12LRPV » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:25 pm

The problem of course is consistency.

Having tried annealing necks manually and ending up with such ridiculously inconsistent necks from the process that I had to junk the lot.

I suggest you forget the amateur methods and stick with your original goal of finding a proper machine to do it. Someone out there should be able to hook up a windscreen wiper motor with a cut out saw blade.

RDavies

#7 Postby RDavies » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:13 pm

As M12LRPV said, I want consistancy. I have problems at the moment with different neck tensions and run out in my 284 brass and want to make everything more consistant, not just softer.

I have seen some of the flash looking machines available overseas, but by the time you paid postage for them, the cost would get a bit out of hand.
With my mechanical eneptitude and co ordination handicaps, with mechanical assistance I was hoping to make my brass better and not worse.
I will try the simpler manual methods first on some less important brass and if I succeed in ruining the brass, I will sell another of the kids kidneys and go for one of the motorized versions.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”