corflute

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

stu_bear2002

corflute

#1 Postby stu_bear2002 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:21 am

i've been toying :-k with the idea of making up some frames for practice down the back of my block and it has had me wondering just out of curiosity "how long would corflute hold up as a target" when patched and re-centered as needed, also given that it would taken down be stored out of the weather when not in use.
cheers stuey
Stiller/holeshot .22LR
Bruno mod2(sleeved) .22LR
Rem7(sleeved) 6mmBR and 6mm Dasher
Stolle panda 6PPC
Winchester 101 12g

AlanF

Re: corflute

#2 Postby AlanF » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:56 am

stu_bear2002 wrote:i've been toying :-k with the idea of making up some frames for practice down the back of my block and it has had me wondering just out of curiosity "how long would corflute hold up as a target" when patched and re-centered as needed, also given that it would taken down be stored out of the weather when not in use.
cheers stuey

Stu,

Corflute is very durable and should do what you want well. There might be a problem however if you want to see the bullet holes from any distance. It tends to close back up over the holes.

Alan

Lynn Otto

#3 Postby Lynn Otto » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:57 am

Stuey, we've been using coreflute for targets for quite a few years at the club and it actually lasts for an amazingly long time. It has a semi self healing action so does not chop out all that fast. As to how long exactly I'm not sure but if no one else has the answer before tonight I will get some info from Trev and let you know. Another nice part of using this is that it is easy to get on and off the target frames.

johnk

#4 Postby johnk » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:32 am

I use it for 100 & 200 yard targets.

I pick the material up at the local real estate office. They have it in all sizes & they only ever print on one side, so the other is pristine.

stu_bear2002

#5 Postby stu_bear2002 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:27 pm

thanks lynn and john, as i can get a fair amount of 1.8x1.2 medium gsm sheets reasonably cheap i might pick a few up for the club to replace the targets we lost due to the flooding of the range.
thanks again stuart
Stiller/holeshot .22LR
Bruno mod2(sleeved) .22LR
Rem7(sleeved) 6mmBR and 6mm Dasher
Stolle panda 6PPC
Winchester 101 12g

AlanF

#6 Postby AlanF » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:39 pm

stu_bear2002 wrote:... i might pick a few up for the club to replace the targets we lost due to the flooding of the range.
thanks again stuart

We tried it on the range but gave it away - too easy to miss shots, particularly on the black. It might be okay with cardboard on the front.

Alan

Lynn Otto

#7 Postby Lynn Otto » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:51 pm

AlanF wrote:
We tried it on the range but gave it away - too easy to miss shots, particularly on the black. It might be okay with cardboard on the front.

Alan

I find this unusual Alan, we have been using it for all but the longs (can't get the sheets large enough) for probably 8-9 years and I don't ever recall having this problem and we have some 'interesting' people marking targets.

AlanF

#8 Postby AlanF » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:00 pm

Lynn Otto wrote:
AlanF wrote:

Alan

I find this unusual Alan, we have been using it for all but the longs (can't get the sheets large enough) for probably 8-9 years and I don't ever recall having this problem and we have some 'interesting' people marking targets.

Maybe there's different brands or thicknesses of the stuff. I recommended its use on our range, replaced the centres with it then ended up with egg on the face. At the shorts with a good shooter its easier - you know its there somewhere so you don't give up as soon :D .

Alan

Ovenpaa

#9 Postby Ovenpaa » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:49 pm

We used in in Denmark, it has rigidity which is good however we always used a full sized sheet over the front. No issues with scoring and it can take a hammering, I would say it gave three times the life of the traditional paper over Hessian used in the UK and is a lot quicker to replace.

LEE .308

#10 Postby LEE .308 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:51 pm

when patched and re-centered as needed,

Hiya Stu,
Ive been using it on a 100yrd range in the back yard for a couple of years now(same piece) after shooting the guts out of it a few times I found it was easier leave the target in place and just get a cardboard box from woollies and cut discs for the centres using a black or red marker to draw in the the bull and stick it on with a glue stick.
I found it easier to see the holes through the scope and was a quick single use center as well as saving some beer coupons as it all but done away with patches.
:)
Lee O'Keefe
Secretary
Sandford Rifle Club
Tas
http://sandfordrifleclub.com.au/

Woody_rod

#11 Postby Woody_rod » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:59 am

We have quite a few corflute army type target faces, which we use mostly for group testing. They certainly do close up on the holes, but are really tough stuff and last a long time. One major advantage is that they do not warp after being in the rain. We use cardboard faces, which are really easy to change, but don't last as long.

Welcome ovenpaa, good to see you here.

bobeager

Coreflute

#12 Postby bobeager » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:55 am

Just wait for an Election (political). The stuff is everwhere! Some time ago I was comming back from 300 yards at an SSAA Range when I noticed that the back faces of the entire line of 200 and 100 yard targets were the mugshots of our local political candidates.. is guess this range is politically correct.

Woody_rod

Re: Coreflute

#13 Postby Woody_rod » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:11 pm

bobeager wrote:Just wait for an Election (political). The stuff is everwhere! Some time ago I was comming back from 300 yards at an SSAA Range when I noticed that the back faces of the entire line of 200 and 100 yard targets were the mugshots of our local political candidates.. is guess this range is politically correct.

Does that mean it is ok to have holes through them from back to front, but not facing forwards?

ned kelly

#14 Postby ned kelly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:27 pm

G'day all,
what ever the colour of your target face, find a good contrasting plastic like a garbage bag and put it behind the target face, the plastic will only have a small hole through it so it can be seen inside of the full size hole cut into the target face.

i.e. white target face use black garbo bags, try orange or white for any other coloured target face. You should be able to see them at least out to 200yds probably much more.

FWIW, i've not changed my corflute in 15yrs, just stick on a fresh garbo bag as needed behind any SSAA target for great contrast.

Hope this helps

Cheerio Ned

bruce moulds

#15 Postby bruce moulds » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:19 pm

coreflute is very useful, but can give misleading info if you are studying bullet stability.
the bullets tend to get steered into the flutes when they hit, giving the illusion of a wobbly bullet.
if they hit square on a flute, they go through straight.
coreflute is vastly superior to cardboard in wet and strong wind.
bruce moulds.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

Return to “Equipment & Technical”