Barnard bolt problem

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Ovenpaa

#16 Postby Ovenpaa » Mon May 23, 2011 5:19 pm

I have rebuilt the errant cases with .020" jam and softer primers so hopefully that will sort the problem, the pin protrusion does seem to be at the lower end of limit so if I still have problems I will have to look at a new firing pin.

The pin on the Barnard has a taper which fits into a cone in the front end of the bolt and I have not managed to find anything on the internet about stripping the firing pin out or even if it can be adjusted.

Having said that I still feel the issue is with a combination of hard primers and the brass moving in the chamber.

John S

#17 Postby John S » Tue May 24, 2011 8:36 am

To add to the information, a couple of years ago I had problems with a new barnard action, random firing of cases. In my case I had used full length resized 308 cases and apparently this had changed the case shoulder and hence the length of the case in the chamber. As a result the firing pin was just "nicking" the primer without ignition, as the round was positioned further into the chamber. By using new brass and then reusing this in the rifle I have not had any problems since.
Cheers John S

johnk

#18 Postby johnk » Tue May 24, 2011 8:40 am

There's no chance that the alloy nut at the back of the action is loose, is there?

AlanF

#19 Postby AlanF » Tue May 24, 2011 10:26 am

johnk wrote:There's no chance that the alloy nut at the back of the action is loose, is there?
John,

Does this answer your question?
Ovenpaa wrote:I always back the knurled screw off and take the tension off the firing pin spring when not in use

Alan

johnk

#20 Postby johnk » Tue May 24, 2011 12:00 pm

Missed that, didn't I. jetlag.

AlanF

#21 Postby AlanF » Tue May 24, 2011 12:08 pm

johnk wrote:Missed that, didn't I. jetlag.

If my experience is anything to go by, its not jetlag I'm afraid. I haven't been OS for years, and still managed to "wind the wrong way" on another thread. :lol:

Alan

johnk

#22 Postby johnk » Tue May 24, 2011 2:04 pm

I don't know whether to take that as sympathy or a dig at my advancing senility.

Ovenpaa

#23 Postby Ovenpaa » Sat May 28, 2011 12:19 am

Bit of an update. Barnard confirmed the striker protrusion was correct at .0530" which was one factor less to worry about. I rebuilt the rounds with a jam of .020" and used softer primers and they mostly worked, I had 5 that still failed to ignite and I guess a .030" jam will resolve this. My view is the combination of hard primers and the case rattling around was indeed the cause of this.

The good news is I have enough brass now for the Phoenix comp at the weekend, everything is built and all I need to do now is hope we do not get rained out or blown off the range given the weekends forecast.

AlanF

#24 Postby AlanF » Sat May 28, 2011 1:31 am

Ovenpaa wrote:...I rebuilt the rounds with a jam of .020" and used softer primers and they mostly worked, I had 5 that still failed to ignite and I guess a .030" jam will resolve this. My view is the combination of hard primers and the case rattling around was indeed the cause of this...

Ovenpaa,

Sorry to disappoint you, but there has to be something else wrong. My Barnard P has done nearly 15,000 rounds with several different calibres including fire-forming of wildcats, and the only misfires ever have been on a couple of occasions where there was no primer at all :oops: . And early in my career I didn't know about the importance of jamming with new cases, so there would have been times when the headspace was excessive. So I would strongly recommend you get a good gunsmith to have a look at it.

Alan

Chopper

#25 Postby Chopper » Sat May 28, 2011 8:47 am

Could it be not enough back lash or follow through on the trigger causing trigger and bolt sear friction slowing down the ignition time ? is this possible with the barnard ? it is with some, Chop

Ovenpaa

#26 Postby Ovenpaa » Sun May 29, 2011 7:52 am

Well 6 details of 2+15 with the fire formed brass and it never missed a beat. I however am rather tired... Bisley winds and rain made for an interesting day. More than one person got caught out by the wind based on the groans of dismay around me, including one shooter next to me that went from a V to a zero with the next shot. Roll on the Imperial meeting :)

Return to “Equipment & Technical”