Dyer HBC's.

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Brad Y

#31 Postby Brad Y » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:11 pm

Is there a legit batching method being used now? I thought before it was only numbered in reference to jacket material.

Only have a hundred 15's left, will have to get a couple of hundred more of the newer ones for the summer. At least I wont be shooting them as much anymore with the 6.5mm coming.

saum2

#32 Postby saum2 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:36 pm

Well, the newest batch I have weighed anything from 152.6gns to 154.2gn which means= not good for accuracy if unbatched & not measured. Although another batch weighed in at 154.9-155gns. I didn't measure base to ogive.

johnk

#33 Postby johnk » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:17 pm

Geoff,

Have you checked how well they address the seating die plunger?

I had to relieve a Forster some time back because the point of one projectile was grounding in the plunger.

John

aaronraad

#34 Postby aaronraad » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:39 pm

Don't get too hung up on batching by weight. A +/-0.8gr variance over 153.4gr is still less than 1%; and almost the same as a +0.3gr variance over a 67.7gr benchrest projectile.

The concern should be, where is the weight variance going? If there is any variance in the jacket-to-jacket measurements then the weight can end up in the base, shank or ogive. Base - not so bad; ogive - not helpful; shank - least preferable. Try sorting by ogive length first.

If you are concerned about the seating stem it might be worth getting it ground to match the ogive for the projectile. Similar to what they have to do with meplat tipping sleeves for long ogives.
Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projectiles

saum2

#35 Postby saum2 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:02 pm

Guys, thanks for your help. I have an RCBS micrometer seater, thought the points were hitting the end of seater. Then bought a Forster Ultra seater for VLD projectiles. The Forster one seemed ok for a while with little run out. Then with new batch of projectiles and longer jump ( into the case more) run out returned ??? using 334 neck bush with SB Redding die to bump shoulder a thou or so back. I've tried resetting both dies to attempt to realign shell holder-case-die-press. Now, I've walked away from it all to rest my brain hoping to find the answer at another time. never had the problem with batch 15. might try jamming them next, that will fix the run out.
cheers

Chopper

#36 Postby Chopper » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:14 pm

I think some OD measure would be more important ? any one ? just interested , That would tell a lot more, Chop

Chopper

#37 Postby Chopper » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:45 pm

For one OD will alter seating and maybe weight ?? but how many trim metlap and weigh again ? I think trim , but measure OD, variance in OD lets face it is like having a fouled barrel and then not , and then a fouled barrel again, a change in pressure then a change in velocity, then a change in elevation ? I may be wrong ? Chop.

aaronraad

#38 Postby aaronraad » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:25 pm

Last batch of the new Dyers I measured were all 0.30800". Shank was extremely straight.
Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projectiles

saum2

#39 Postby saum2 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:25 am

Chop,
I measured some of the suspect batch, my digital measure read anywhere from .306" - .308" but a lot things could be wrong like for starters, my cheaper vernier gauge, the way I measure. I was convinced by others that the OD was ok. I might measure some Bergers and Sierras as a comparison with the same tool. Anyway, all for nought really as they are nearly all gone. Still have to sort out the run out issue. It might go away with the Bergers.

Geoff

AlanF

#40 Postby AlanF » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:41 am

Krakey wrote:Chop,
I measured some of the suspect batch, my digital measure read anywhere from .306" - .308" but a lot things could be wrong like for starters, my cheaper vernier gauge, the way I measure. I was convinced by others that the OD was ok. I might measure some Bergers and Sierras as a comparison with the same tool. Anyway, all for nought really as they are nearly all gone. Still have to sort out the run out issue. It might go away with the Bergers.

Geoff

Geoff,

Measuring projectile diameters is a micrometer job. Calipers are only good for about 0.001" and bullet diameter variations are well inside that.

Alan

Return to “Equipment & Technical”