The scoring system

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Razer

#31 Postby Razer » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:18 pm

I have been reading this with interest. :shock:
The present scoring system is easy to score and it doesn't matter a rat's 'A' to the marker as to who is shooting, he/she just spots the shot and displays the value. At the mound the scorer just has to write the values on the board as displayed.
If it is XXXXXXXXXX then it is simply converted to 60-10 for FO and FC, and 50-10 for TR. :D
Not so long ago there was some discussion as to whether FO would even accept the present target. Some wanted to retain the decimal target, shoot all by their lonesome down one end of the mound, and, slowly but surely see the opportunity to compete at OPM's disappear.
Since the introduction of the present target we are seeing clubs who never had FO, or stopped sponsoring FO, accepting nominations once more. Eugowra Rifle Club has done so and is to be congratulated. I last shot FO at Bathurst OPM about 2005, and they then discontinued it from lack of support (on the old target) and FC was introduced. Hopefully they may re-introduce FO in the future.
This easily marked/scored common target has simplified the sponsoring of OPM's, and encouraged the local rifle clubs to embrace FO, all of which can only relate to increased membership.
We are even witnessing ex FO shooters, who moved to FC, now moving back to FO, which is a positive for that disciplines future. :P
Being squadded together on the common target has, from my observations, resulted in quite an increase in communication and understanding between all disciplines.
As there is yet to be a better target system to embrace all disciplines forthcoming, then leave the present target and scoring system alone. It has proven it's ability to grow our sport in a positive way. 8)

macguru

#32 Postby macguru » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:28 pm

Fully agree with the last comments by Razer

The present system works well, you dont see too many 60.10s

Andrew

Southcape

#33 Postby Southcape » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:45 pm

Thanks Lynn.

When teams head overseas and they know they will find themselves faced with a different target to our own, they will train as much as possible on the target that they will facing in the competition.

My concern would be, when members of this club then go and shoot PM's on ICFRA targets they will be putting themselves at a disadvantage.
Linda

IanP

#34 Postby IanP » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:50 pm

I like the 60.X system that FC is using and it is as per the current SSRs. I also liked Barry Davies suggestion of every ring should count for both FC and TR. So the suggestion that TR come over to the FC scoring system but in place of the X they use a V. The scoring systems would be identical for both disciplines but a X and V would differentiate the two classes. No problems for score cards, scorers or markers.

The reality is the move would have to come from TR shooters as they would be the ones encountering the change. The accuracy of TR rifles and ammo is continually improving and scoring as per FC would benefit the shooters who could hold the 6 ring.

This of course probably wont happen in the near future, (or distant future) but I'm pretty happy with the system we have in place now. I dont understand the preoccupation with the value 100 as being the ideal score to put in place but I'm not adverse to it either. The current system works for the majority of shooters so I'll go along with the theme, "if it aint broke, dont fix it!"

Ian

MROFD

#35 Postby MROFD » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:28 pm

AlanF wrote:
Barry Davies wrote:--I'm confused. Bugger, lets just leave it as is.

+1 to that. :D

+2 for me.....

Chopper

#36 Postby Chopper » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:50 pm

Ian, good words and yes TR ammo and rifles are better , not to mention OPTICS, and yes the change would have to come from there, its come a long way from 303 and peep sights ,TR targets have been reduced and Ime sure they may again, I hope the day comes when a low score will win again ,Chop.

Chopper

#37 Postby Chopper » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:01 pm

Macguru, you see more 50.10s.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”