another urban myth bites

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

ecomeat

#46 Postby ecomeat » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:12 am

Norm wrote:Dave,
I think Peter from Pro-Cal was using a .300 RUM in long range Benchrest for a while with interesting results.
But forget the .300WSM necked up to 8mm for F-Open.
Go for its big brother and avoid having to upgrade down the track to keep in front of the pack.
Actually I am going one step further and have the improved version as can be seen with the cartridge on the right.

Norm,
How long is the neck on that "improved" job ?? It looks really short....... so short that maybe you would have to have your chamber throated for a single projectile ? Or not ?
Any donut problems yet ? Its a wicked looking case...............what sort of performance do you hope to get ?
Rgds
Tony
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

johnk

#47 Postby johnk » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:14 am

You missed one factor Dave - belief, self confidence, whatever you want to call it.

Norm

#48 Postby Norm » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:47 am

ecomeat,
That case is actually the result of a GUN SMITH getting the head space way wrong. Turned out to be a quite dangerous situation.
He fixed it with much embarrassment and set it back to a standard neck length.
Got me thinking though!

Dave P

#49 Postby Dave P » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:18 am

I have seen several RUM's including PVM's and whilst they worked to some degree they also proved to have some difficulties as I recal in tuning and maintenance of tuning.
They were capable of excellent results but these seemed more of a once occurance than a consistant performance.
All those I saw were driven by experienced shooters and to a man they all moved away from the RUM interestingly a couple moved to the 300 Yogi and seemed to achieve more consistant results with this chambering

DaveMc

#50 Postby DaveMc » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:31 am

Dave P wrote:Development and experimentation is part of the fun

And I think the biggest reason why most people take up Fopen to begin with.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”