Moly coating bullets

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

AP

#31 Postby AP » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:00 pm

Hi this topic has got me interested in moly coating it is something that I have no experience in, Just out of curiosity if you have a load working in a particular rifle will you need to re tune your load if you switch to coated projectiles

Andrew

Brad Y

#32 Postby Brad Y » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:45 am

Andrew, from what I have read you will have to retune as you generally lose a little velocity. Maybe bump up the powder charge a little.

Im still 50/50 on the whole idea, still yet to see if this barrel coppers up badly or not. Only had 60 rounds through it so early days yet.

ecomeat

#33 Postby ecomeat » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:50 am

We get shitty rain squalls around Qld at this time of year. It was interesting to watch an F Open shooter have to "retire" from the line last week as soon as light rain started, worried about the bad mix of Moly and moisture.
The rest of us just kept shooting.
Tony
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

johnk

#34 Postby johnk » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:54 am

Interesting. I've been shooting moly since 2001 & haven't had issues with dampness in that time.

ecomeat

#35 Postby ecomeat » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:05 am

John,
I have never touched it myself, but had heard plenty of people at OPM's discussing how it can "glug up" barrels and cause serious problems. Maybe thats just an old wives tale, but it seems to have plenty of people wary about the consequences !!
You certainly see a good number of moly users at OPM's and they all seem to be the first to ensure everything is covered if rain seems likely.........maybe they just do a better job of looking after their gear !
But if you havent had a problem in 12 years of serious shooting there cant be any issue...........i might have to re-think it after all.
Tony
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

johnk

#36 Postby johnk » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:39 pm

Tony,

I have 12 brass cases lying around here somewhere from back when I had to shoot in a district championship. It was bucketing down but wasn't called off until after the first range. All 12 cases have a teat from where the brass extruded into the ejector rod hole.

Since then, I've taken pains to keep my gear as dry as possible while shooting in inclement weather & to clean out as each distance finishes. I have a sheet of vinyl that covers my scope & action & drops down to ground level so I can keep the ammo out of the way. Admittedly, it is a tad cumbersome but it seems better than the alternative.

John

saum2

#37 Postby saum2 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:46 pm

ok, I've been using Moly for some time without any issues, except a bit messy. Now i have factory HBN coated projectiles and want to do everything with HBN. With Moly I can tell if they (projectiles) are coated properly, the question is, how do you tell if the HBN is done right or enough. They come out almost clear-ish.
Geoff

AlanF

#38 Postby AlanF » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:15 pm

I'm in the same boat Geoff - just about to put the first batch of hBN into the tumbler. I think I'll just do what I've always done with moly which is overdo them (at least 4 hours)!

Alan.

aaronraad

#39 Postby aaronraad » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:47 pm

Krakey wrote:ok, I've been using Moly for some time without any issues, except a bit messy. Now i have factory HBN coated projectiles and want to do everything with HBN. With Moly I can tell if they (projectiles) are coated properly, the question is, how do you tell if the HBN is done right or enough. They come out almost clear-ish.
Geoff

I've seen some of David Tubb's DTAC 6mm 115gr projectiles finished in red colour. You can see the individual image in the link below shows the projectile finished in a red colour.

http://www.davidtubb.com/d-tac-115gr-6mm-boron-nitride-500-box

Maybe if you pop David the question he might be willing to share?
Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projectiles

johnk

#40 Postby johnk » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:26 pm

Since I became disillusioned with the HBN, I've reviewed all my records. All loads shot at a higher velocity than with moly, suggesting to me that my coating technique was faulty, limiting the efficiency of the coating & causing higher pressures. I suppose it could mean that it isn't as suitable as it's made out to be but surely the likes of Tubbs wouldn't con us, despite his .30 calibre meplatter being a heap of crap.

Razer

#41 Postby Razer » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:05 pm

aaronraad wrote;

I've seen some of David Tubb's DTAC 6mm 115gr projectiles finished in red colour. You can see the individual image in the link below shows the projectile finished in a red colour.

Maybe he adds a dye to his HBN.
I have used red spray dye for years to mark where I had sprayed sections of weeds/blackberries.
Maybe a few drops of spray dye would do the trick as it is a very concentrated liquid. :idea:
Certainly stains every thing it touches even when diluted in the weed spray.

Just a thought.

Plus one with Alan re: at least 4 hours in the tumbler.

AlanF

#42 Postby AlanF » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:27 pm

I've just pulled out the projectiles (Berger 168s) from the tumbler and after a brief "towelling" they feel smooth almost silky compared with what went in. The appearance is actually less glossy than new and the colour is more like a Sierra than a Berger. But the dye idea might be worth a go, because its much harder than moly to see that they've been coated.

Alan

aaronraad

#43 Postby aaronraad » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:32 pm

johnk wrote: I suppose it could mean that it isn't as suitable as it's made out to be but surely the likes of Tubbs wouldn't con us, despite his .30 calibre meplatter being a heap of crap.

:lol: :lol: :lol: come on johnk tell us what you really think. Let me know if I start adding to the heap :lol: :lol: :lol:
Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projectiles

Return to “Equipment & Technical”