Moly coating bullets

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Razer

#16 Postby Razer » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:31 pm

Razer wrote:When you do clean, you need to oil the barrel as moly takes in moisture. The right oil (even after patching out) is important to get your first shots up to speed as quick as possible.

aaronraad wrote:Is that why they use Kroil instead of the normal cleaning solvents and oils?

Haven't used Kroil, just Hoppes and then Sweets Oil. Apparently some oils must react with the coating residue left in the barrel, or so I am led to believe.

OuttaAmmo

#17 Postby OuttaAmmo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:09 pm

I oil with inox after a barrel clean. It takes one shot to foul my barrel.
Not saying whether it is right or wrong, just what I do.

Brad Y

#18 Postby Brad Y » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:12 pm

OuttaAmmo

Mate do you use abrasives on the throat after 100 or so shots to get rid of carbon build up? Does it only take one shot after if you do?

johnk

#19 Postby johnk » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:41 pm

I lube with Ballistol after any sort of cleaning, then run one patch through & dry the chamber before firing. These were my settling loads yesterday (the tail end of a batch I loaded a year or so back) before I ran some load testing. I set the barrel up after quitting boron by an exhaustive clean out with Pro Shot followed by 10 passes with JB Bore Bright, clean up with Pro Shot again, dry & oil

Wish the load I settled on was running velocities that tight.

OuttaAmmo

#20 Postby OuttaAmmo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:49 pm

Brad,
No, not yet. I've heard of that and it could be due for that but it still shoots accurately so I haven't bothered,

Casey

OuttaAmmo

#21 Postby OuttaAmmo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:00 pm

Also, I'll likely not bother with moly in the future after I wear this barrel out. Reasons being;

It's messy.
Inconvenience of moly-ing new projectiles before loading.
Not necessary for accuracy (there's plenty of people not using it and still shooting accurately so I figure why bother)

Just my thoughts.

RDavies

#22 Postby RDavies » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:44 am

Ive switch to HBN and so far it is working well. My 6.5mm uncoated cant quite go 2 targets without cleaning, now I have pushed it out to 100 shots or so and it gets better the longer I leave it..
After cleaning my projectiles in Shellite, I put them in an oven on about 80 degrees to warm them up. I also point a heater at Lyman tumbler while it is vibrating for 3 Hrs.

Razer

#23 Postby Razer » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:26 am

Interesting site re: HBN.
The date on the topic would be 2008.
I put my shellite cleaned projectiles out in the sun for awhile to evaporate the shellite as I have been banned from using the oven. :shock:
Might be due to the choice of oven tray. :roll:

http://home.comcast.net/~jesse99/hex_boron_nitride_coating.html

aaronraad

#24 Postby aaronraad » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:50 am

[quote="Razer"]I put my shellite cleaned projectiles out in the sun for awhile to evaporate the shellite as I have been banned from using the oven. :shock:
Might be due to the choice of oven tray. :roll:
[quote]

Sub oven for hooded gas BBQ :wink:
Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projectiles

aaronraad

#25 Postby aaronraad » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:53 am

RDavies wrote: I also point a heater at Lyman tumbler while it is vibrating for 3 Hrs.

Is the heater for the shellite evaporation or the tumbling media? From what I've read the cleaning and polishing effect of media is enhanced by temperature. Reduces tumbling time to achieve finish apparently?
Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projectiles

RDavies

#26 Postby RDavies » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:10 am

I dry the shellite off the projectiles first, by leaving them to air dry for a bit. Sometimes, I roll them around on some newspaper to get rid of any oil traced, depending on how I feel.
I then either put the projectiles in a plastic jar and put this in the oven to preheats. I put the heater on the tumbler to keep the preheated projectiles warm and keep all the media warm.
I read somewhere that to get a good coating, it is best if the bullets are warm, to open the grains or something???

The most important part of the process is to do this when the minister of catering and entertainment is away. I used to put the lyman bowl with media in the oven, but one day she came home and turned the oven temp right up. It was hard removing the molten plastic/ceramic media/berger bullet mix from the bottom of the oven that night.

ecomeat

#27 Postby ecomeat » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:20 am

Accurateshooter(6mmbr) must have been reading this blog, with a timely listing, including a further link to a very relevant article:

February 21st, 2013
Hexagonal Boron Nitride (HBN) — How Well Does It Work?
For years, many shooters have coated bullets with Moly (molybdenum disulfide) or Danzac (tungsten disulfide or “WS2″). The idea was to reduce friction between bullets and barrel. In theory, this could lengthen barrel life and extend the number of rounds a shooter can fire between cleanings.

WHOOPS PHOTOS DONT JUST COPY OVER, SO FOLLOW LINK TO ORIGINAL ARTICLE :D
see entry dated 21st Feb at http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/
where there is a direct link to the addition info from Paul Becigneul
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

saum2

HBN

#28 Postby saum2 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:40 pm

I've been using moly with good results but now considering changing over to HBN.
Can someone tell me where I can buy it (HBN) & what grade to buy?

Razer

#29 Postby Razer » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:18 pm

Go to link below,(lowerfriction) click on HBN (under products) and you will find the price per pound. I got some WS2 from them some years ago and it was sent airmail taking a week from order to delivery.
http://lowerfriction.com/

Info on HBN here.
http://home.comcast.net/~jesse99/hex_bo ... ating.html[/url

daj

#30 Postby daj » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:57 am

Krakey,

I bought 1lb of HBN from lowerfriction last year. It cost $135 including shipping.

1lb of HBN fills 2x plastic 1kg Goulburn Valley Fruit containers and is enough to last the average shooter many lifetimes.

If you would like some of mine, you can have it at cost + postage.

PM me if interested.

Details: Hex-Boron Nitride (hBN) Powder: hBN, 99% Pure, APS: 70 nm (MK-hBN-N70/01)

Return to “Equipment & Technical”