Scope operation - to wind or aim off

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

bartman007

Scope operation - to wind or aim off

#1 Postby bartman007 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:20 pm

I have been using a scope for a few years now. And have been happily winding it back and forth with the wind changes.

However, one day, in the middle of a Queens event, my scope decided to bind up when winding to the right. The clue was 2 inner 4's (for sighters) on the right, even after winding 2.25 MOA to the left after the first sighter, then another 1 MOA to the left (second sighter) after just missing the bull line. With very little wind change at that time, and considering I was generally saving my sighters on most ranges, I was concerned throughout that shoot, and consequently lost points on that range!

After that shoot I tested it, and it traveled perfectly from zero to the left, but once I got close to the zero, it slowed then stopped moving to the right!

I have been happy winding over the years, as that is how I used to shoot in TR. Considering the lesser amount of movement that we do in Open class, is the small constant 1/8 movements causing excessive wear on the scope turrets? Is there lubrication inside the scope that is getting pushed away from the zero point, thus causing dry area's on the track?

Without giving away the brand (>$1000 scope), should this be happening?

Maybe I have to start aiming off, to take it easy on the poor expensive scope???

Or have a maintenance regime where I traverse the scope from left to right once per month, to even out any lubrication that may be present inside the scope?

Any suggestions greatly accepted, but don't tell me to get a March....please.

ecomeat

Re: Scope operation - to wind or aim off

#2 Postby ecomeat » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:22 pm

bartman007 wrote:Any suggestions greatly accepted, but don't tell me to get a March....please.

Bugger !! The solution was so easy, up to that point :lol: :lol:
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

Brad Y

#3 Postby Brad Y » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:31 pm

Sounds like you had a bit of a nightmare... whoops I mean nightforce...

Use my records to dial elevation and depending on the range I use one of those little wind dial calculators and divide by two. Fire first sighter, adjust and fire second, hold off from then on. Thats what I did in last years queens anyway. Club shoots, dial up elevation, guess wind and fire, adjust, fire then hold off.

Brad Y

#4 Postby Brad Y » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:54 pm

I should also add that I have never done it, but I expect team shooting could be opposite if you ever looking to do it. I would imagine if there are some gnarly changes then the coach may want to be winding the scope instead of holding off. Dont know. Hopefully we get a team for tassie in 2014 and I can give it a crack!

macguru

#5 Postby macguru » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:06 pm

Bartman:

Get a ...... SIGHTRON (or two) they are only 850 each from the USA

cheers andrew

TOM

#6 Postby TOM » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:18 pm

I always thought holding off was for the guys who chase a spotter around a target, those that read wind use the knobs. :?:

johnk

#7 Postby johnk » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:45 pm

With apologies for the suggestion, have you checked to verify that your zero is somewhere towards the optical/mechanical centre of the windage & not stuck out one side.

bartman007

#8 Postby bartman007 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:31 pm

Hi Andrew, I have heard good things about Sightron's! Time will tell on that one. I think a little more engraving on the turrets to stop winding the wrong way could help their cause.

Ecomeat, I wouldn't be allowed to go shooting if I bought a March :-) And I think all other things domestic might come to a screaching halt too!

Brad, it would be great to see another team down under under. I hope to be going back again next year. As for winding once then leaving it, I find that you can get lost when having to deal with a sudden change in conditions. When you are waiting to see where it is going to settle, it can be easy to forget where you last held off.

JohnK, my original thoughts exactly. However fortunately I was close to the half way point in windage for my zero, so it was a good alignment from day one. In regard to elevation, it was on the 600 yard range which was easily around the middle of that travel too. So no clear reason for it to bind up.

The scope is with the repairer today, so am hoping to find out the problem in the next week. Odd that such a well known and respected brand can come undone in the thick of battle.

Hopefully they'll do the right thing and replace it. Time will tell.

There may be merit in a blend between winding and holding off, however I wonder what the experts in the US Team are doing?

I hope the Aussie F Class teams pay close attention, and learn something.

AlanF

#9 Postby AlanF » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:12 am

Mike,

I don't think there's any problems with mentioning brands in this case. It can be disastrous for a small operator to have their product or service criticised online, but large companies like NightForce make a huge amount of money out of F-Class shooters, and they've had enough time making high-priced scopes to get it right.

Regarding winding vs holding off, the latter has advantages of speed and of less wear on your mechanicals, but it can be quite mentally taxing if not done systematically. I think for coached shooting, the best way is for the coach to wind. There is too much opportunity for inaccuracy and error in the hold off instruction - someone may come up with an idea that works better than winding but I haven't seen it yet. But for individual shooting, holding off is superior in my opinion, and I think you'll find most leading shooters will agree.

Alan

DaveMc

#10 Postby DaveMc » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:06 am

Mike,
A nice solution is a minute reticle. If you are used to winding it is easy to switch your thinking to minute holdoffs (rather than rings which can also be lost in mirage and rain). I was "coerced" into shooting this way a few years ago and haven't looked back since. Also very nice in you can "adjust" your wind zero on the fly by winding it over. Of course it is all personal preference BUT winding or minute holdoffs certainly does make picking up the coaches hat a lot easier.

Unfortunately few brands offer them (March MTR1-3 - sorry couldn't help myself ) but if Nightforce offer the MOAR reticle in some of the higher power scopes it would be an interesting option. :D

As far as the team goes - Breakdowns of this nature do happen but are (thankfully) rare. Thanks for the suggestion, it has been discussed and there are plans to deal with it if it occurs. - hopefully minimising impact on the scoreline in the process.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”