GEM PRO 250

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Matt P

GEM PRO 250

#1 Postby Matt P » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:59 pm

Hi All
My faithful Redding beam scale just meet an untimely death (fell off the bench), so need to get a new set of scales, has anyone used these, any comments good or bad.
Matt P

Razer

#2 Postby Razer » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:24 pm

Was looking for another item the other day and remembered seeing this.
Fairly comprehensive review I thought.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-reviews/gempro-250-digital-scale-review/

AlanF

#3 Postby AlanF » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:45 pm

I have a Redding #2 and a GemPro 250. The GemPro is my 3rd (2 went back with problems). The Redding is more reliable AND more accurate. I use the GemPro as a double check for important events and for weighing cases and/or projectiles. I'd get another Redding, then decide whether to get a GemPro, or some other brand of electronic. The main problem I've had with GemPro is its very fussy about the power supply. Some AC adaptors work, some batteries work etc.

Alan

bruce moulds

#4 Postby bruce moulds » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:32 pm

that is most interesting alan.
I too use a redding.
I sharpened the knives on it, and it is very repeatable and sensitive.
it quite clearly registers 1 granule of powder which can be a pain when you really only need 1/2 of a granule.
I feel no need to go electronic with this sensitivity.
as scales go, the reddings are quite well priced.
keep safe,
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

johnk

#5 Postby johnk » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:36 pm

My Gempro is fine. I have a pair of Jaycar line conditioners on it mentioned in a thread a while back & run it through a UPS. it consistently records the same milligram value +- 1mg at ant startup using ant of my standard masses & doesn't wander usually during a session. However, steps I always carry out on ant Escales are:

Always bring the powder to the tared pan on the scales. I don't put powder in the pan, then bring it back to the scales.

Always "nudge" the pan when adding powder, particularly a grain or 2 to force the scales to re-evaluate the charge.

Only weigh in one direction. I dump a short load in the pan, the bring it up to the desired mass. I know that scales of this sensitivity or less can adjudge the weight differently taking off weight to adding it.

I make a standard check weight for each load I use regularly & test the scales against it before & during a loading session. Various small calibre odds & ends of projectiles can be trimmed/bored to a given mass & the details scratched on them.

John

KHGS

Re: GEM PRO 250

#6 Postby KHGS » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:26 pm

Hi Matt, I have had a set of Redding #2 scales for 30 years & would not swap them for anything else, I would replace them with another set.
Keith H.

Matt P wrote:Hi All
My faithful Redding beam scale just meet an untimely death (fell off the bench), so need to get a new set of scales, has anyone used these, any comments good or bad.
Matt P

Return to “Equipment & Technical”