RCBS 5-0-5 beam scales

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Peterla

RCBS 5-0-5 beam scales

#1 Postby Peterla » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:17 pm

Hi All

I am looking to sharpen my beam balance scales on my RCBS scales.
The read OK but sometimes do not return to the exact same spot if if remove and replace the pan.
I have seen lots of people comment that these are OK as long as they are clean and have sharp blades to overcome the friction. I have never seen a article on how to sharpen these and was wondering if someone who has done this before could give me some ideas.

Thanks

Peter

johnk

#2 Postby johnk » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:44 pm

Peterla

#3 Postby Peterla » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:56 pm

I have seen this before while trolling the web for some ideas on improving my scales. I also see a person named Scott Parker does work on improving scales but I get no response from him so may as well have a go myself.
My main question is how to sharpen the blades and what to use. Is it a good ides to take it to someone or can i do this myself?

Thanks

johnk

#4 Postby johnk » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:46 pm

Years ago when prices weren't extortionate I bought myself a set of Arkansas slip stones for trigger work - back when you might try to make an Omark or Musgrave trigger useful. I use one of them flat on each side of the V pivots & polish them full length carefully & deliberately. Don't try or conversely try not to change the geometry, just to clean the edge to a uniform knife edge.

Interesting observation: one night, I was loading when a good luck spider (one of those flys**t sized ones) lowered himself down from the ceiling right into the V of the agate & the scales immediately weighted the best part of .2 grain high, the spider being on the arm side of the rig. Shows how little it takes to interfere with scales.

Craig McGowan

#5 Postby Craig McGowan » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:03 pm

Hi Peterla,

I have a the RCBS 10-10 that has been playing up the same as yours, not holding zero, etc. I did not get a response from Mr Parker regarding purchasing a "tuned" beam scale. So I polished the knife edges with 2000 grit wet and dry. Cleaned the stones with 2000 grit wet and dry. Placed the scales on a hard surface and leveled the base. I then adjusted the weight in the pan holder so the scales zeroed with the pan in place.

Fantastic I thought. Put on some chck weights, and the scales were out about 3/10th of a grain. Did some research on how to calibrate the beam scale but for the life of me I cannot get it to hold a zero with any regular repeatablity.

So now I am left with exploring other options for scales.

Peterla

#6 Postby Peterla » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:25 pm

I have ordered some diamond sharpeners to try to clean the blade on the balance. Interesting to note that the blade on mine sits on a plastic V block not a stone one like I have seen on some other posts. The later made scales must use these so I am not sure if this will work but I will give it a go and let you know.

Thanks for all the comments so far

Peter

Return to “Equipment & Technical”