anyone found a good kinetic puller fir short mags?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

BATattack

anyone found a good kinetic puller fir short mags?

#1 Postby BATattack » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:18 am

Has anyone found a good kinetic bullet puller for short mags??

Im using an RCBS but the collet set up is a p.i.t.a because the short mag case opens it so much it barely fits into the retaining cap!

johnk

#2 Postby johnk » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:41 am

Use a shell holder instead.

I've done that ever since one of the three thingees sproinged into the back yard.

Hangfire

#3 Postby Hangfire » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:49 am

I use a Quinetics inertia bullet puller and a shell holder instead of the supplied 3 jaw collet.

Just be sure not to use a shell holder if you have any protruding primers as there have been instances of primer ignition resulting in destruction of the bullet puller and injury.

Brad Y

#4 Postby Brad Y » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:09 pm

Buy some of the davison bullet puller pliers from sinclairs. Take die out of press. Put bullet into shell holder. Raise press. Hold bullet with pliers then pull the ram down.

Rate them so much better than the kinetic bullet pullers.

EDIT- should add they are only good for a thou neck tension. Tight seated bullets I wont use again so I do the same method but with vice grips. Throw the bullet away.

BATattack

#5 Postby BATattack » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:47 pm

I used to use the shell holder method but went away from it completely after hearing about several close calls.

johnk

#6 Postby johnk » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:13 pm

Brad Y wrote:Tight seated bullets I wont use again so I do the same method but with vice grips. Throw the bullet away.

...at around a buck a time. Done it. It hurts.

I have a set of RCBS collets to pull bullets. They can be almost as bad as the vice grips.

RDavies

#7 Postby RDavies » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:27 pm

johnk wrote:Use a shell holder instead.

I've done that ever since one of the three thingees sproinged into the back yard.

Thingees and sproinged? Sounds like we shared English teachers.

Like you, I like the collet type pullers, just put them in a hand held Lee loader press.
I use the pulled bullets for foulers. (or put some in fellow competitors reloading boxes when they are loading at the range)

Brad Y

#8 Postby Brad Y » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:24 pm

johnk wrote:
Brad Y wrote:Tight seated bullets I wont use again so I do the same method but with vice grips. Throw the bullet away.

...at around a buck a time. Done it. It hurts.

I have a set of RCBS collets to pull bullets. They can be almost as bad as the vice grips.

60 or so cents but yeah. Gets expensive. If I need to pull bullets I will. Or I use that ammo as foulers or club shoots. The way I see it, if I cock up the reloading, I deserve to pay for it. And like Rod, wont use those pulled projectiles as match ammo. I like the idea of putting them in other peoples ammo boxes.

flatlina

#9 Postby flatlina » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:18 pm

I use the Lee Auto Prime shell holders and also have a Hornady camlok if for some reason I have a lot of hunting ones to do.

Regards
john

jcinsa

Hornady Bullet Puller

#10 Postby jcinsa » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:36 am

I have found the best bullet puller is the Hornady It has a lever/cam on top that locks onto the bullet.
It's quick and doesn't mark the projectile.

John
Argue with a fool, and all the casual observer will see is two fools arguing.

Quick

#11 Postby Quick » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:41 am

Ive been using an RCBS Kenetic bullet puller, It works well. Doesnt really mark the bullets and the case necks come out good usually.
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”