Moly Coating

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Range Rector

Moly Coating

#1 Postby Range Rector » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:19 am

Hi all,
Is Moly Coating of bullets really worth while.
I have been coating for some-time now, But am re-thinking it.

RDavies

#2 Postby RDavies » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:31 am

It depends on the barrel.
If the barrel can get enough accurate shots through it without fouling out in between cleaning sessions, then, no, you don't need it. If the barrel has been like some of mine where I had to clean it every 2 targets or sometimes couldn't get 2 full targets in between cleaning sessions, then yes, moly or HBN has saved these barrels.
You will no doubt hear from people who say never use moly (or HBN) but my guess is they have never had a barrel which would normally foul out prematurely. I don't use moly by default in a new barrel, but will switch to coated bullets if I discover the barrel in questioning cant go for long enough between cleaning and fouling sessions.

AlanF

#3 Postby AlanF » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:09 am

Agree with Rod. I think its more commonly used with tighter twist and cut rifled barrels because fouling is more likely. Its relatively uncommon among TR and F-Std shooters because 308s and 155gns bullets aren't very susceptible to fouling. Its more common with match rifle I believe, and of course F-Open. I ran 6.5-284 barrels for years, and after molying saved the first barrel I stuck with it. Since changing to 7mm, I could go back to Rod's approach probably, but have got used to molying all projectiles and don't find it much of a chore.

Alan

bsouthernau

#4 Postby bsouthernau » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:53 pm

So there may be hope for a barrel I was on the verge of discarding?? Still shoots well first up - got a 75.10 at 1000 at Stawell last weekend - but by the end of the day at 1200 it's producing magpies up and down and has now done the same thing on three occasions. Well that's my excuse anyway - don't THINK my shooting ability deteriorates as the day progresses.

Barry

AlanF

#5 Postby AlanF » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:13 pm

bsouthernau wrote:So there may be hope for a barrel I was on the verge of discarding?? Still shoots well first up - got a 75.10 at 1000 at Stawell last weekend - but by the end of the day at 1200 it's producing magpies up and down and has now done the same thing on three occasions. Well that's my excuse anyway - don't THINK my shooting ability deteriorates as the day progresses.

Barry

With a barrel as good as that, I'd clean it every range! You didn't say whether you moly or not. If not it could prolong the useful life a lttle.

Alan

bsouthernau

#6 Postby bsouthernau » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:20 pm

No - never gone down the moly path at all. Don't really want to be cleaning between ranges.

Barry

Quick

#7 Postby Quick » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:57 pm

I clean my 6x47L barrel every two ranges or 24-30rds. Even when at the range load testing I will clean and fire some foulers before going on. I dont moly and am upto 1242rds and it still shoots awesome.

If your barrel wants to be cleaned every two ranges or so, why wouldnt you just do it? I just starting doing it on advice from a fellow FO shooter here in WA and stuck with it.
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”