Wanted - KROIL by Kano Labs

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

ecomeat

Wanted - KROIL by Kano Labs

#1 Postby ecomeat » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:21 pm

Does anyone know of an Australian source for the much hyped Kroil penetrating oil ?
Or does anyone have some that they would be prepared to sell a small qty of ?
Sinclairs sell it in the US domestic market for $73-00 a gallon, or about $18-00 for 16 ozs., but won't export it.
I did find a drilling supply co here in Brisbane that only want $285-00 for a US gallon.........he'll it's only a $200 mark up..... But after driving there for over an hour I couldn't get any because the dickhead I spoke to had decided to go out, despite my appointment .
I am hoping that someone else might have found a source, or be prepared to sell a small qty
Thanks and regards
Tony Berry
Beaudesert
QLD
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

AlanF

#2 Postby AlanF » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:30 pm

Tony,

Pro-Cal Trading used to have it - not sure about recently.

I used to mix it with Shooter's Choice as a solvent. Is that your plan? If it is, I have changed to Short Scrub (available from the VRA) which is very similar as a powder solvent, and better for copper IMO.

Alan

johnk

#3 Postby johnk » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:45 pm

Tony,

To the best of my knowledge, Kroil is only a proprietary name for penetrating oil. Back when the ADI 144 factory used to plate throats with a serious ceramic, I used Penetrine & Sweets Oil 50/50 to keep that stuff at bay. It ripped out copper fouling pretty well to, if I agitated it with a bronze brush & left it until next time I shot.

John

ecomeat

#4 Postby ecomeat » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:50 pm

Thanks Alan. I will try PVM tomorrow and cross my fingers. Failing that I might have to eat humble pie and go back to the $285-00 gallon can. I guess it should last a while ! Apparently it's main use is simply as a superb penetrating oil, so I can use it for general farm duties.
I intended to try it for
1) mixed 2:1 with Shooters Choice
2) mixed 1:1 with Hoppes Benchrest.....both as solvents...and
3) mixed with JBs using those European "pellets". I got a decent supply of them in 6mm and 7mm, but they are damned expensive, and it seems to me that JBs would be their perfect use......and apparently Kroil and JBS together on those "pellets" works really well.

If it works as its supposed to with JBs, it should also work pretty well with Iosso paste. Matt Paroz is a real Iosso fan, but I am buggered if I can get it to work as good as JBs, or as good as KG#2, the polishing compound that Mark Fairbairn sells when he can get it into stock from KG.
Mark is a near relative of Fark Mairbairn who is shooting for Qld in Tasmania.
Do you know if Short Scrub can be posted ?
Tony
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

ecomeat

#5 Postby ecomeat » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:53 pm

johnk wrote:Tony,

To the best of my knowledge, Kroil is only a proprietary name for penetrating oil. Back when the ADI 144 factory used to plate throats with a serious ceramic, I used Penetrine & Sweets Oil 50/50 to keep that stuff at bay. It ripped out copper fouling pretty well to, if I agitated it with a bronze brush & left it until next time I shot.

John

How old ARE you, JK ? :D :D
You seriously just left it sit, maybe for many weeks ?

bartman007

#6 Postby bartman007 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:01 pm

Tony, you may find that Furmanite (www.furmanite.com.au) could sell you some.

They do work for the power stations, and Kroil Oil is used in turbine maintenance. Due to the high temperatures / high tensions and long times between overhauls, the oil made it easier to disassemble the bolts on casings and flanges.

If you know someone in the power industry, they may be able to source some for you.

Good luck!

ecomeat

#7 Postby ecomeat » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:08 pm

Mike,
They are the ones I stormed out of a few months ago after a few expletives were accidentally released and I wasted a whole morning.
I will eat the dreaded humble pie if PVM hasn't got any, as I don't think their is any other option.
It just sticks in the craw of my throat a bit to pay them $285 for something that cost them about $85 , if they bought it retail.
Tony

DMC

Kroil

#8 Postby DMC » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:44 pm

Tony
I asked Pete that very question only a couple of weeks ago - no luck, Pete mentioned its almost impossible to get out of the States now, but the good news he said its virtually the same as Penetrene!

Safe Shooting
Darren

AlanF

#9 Postby AlanF » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:53 pm

Tony,

This eBay trader claims to post to Australia.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/kano-kroil-8-ounce-penetrating-oil-/110647232581

Alan

Craig McGowan

#10 Postby Craig McGowan » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:05 pm

Tony,

Shouldn't you be resting?

ecomeat

#11 Postby ecomeat » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:04 am

AlanF wrote:Tony,

This eBay trader claims to post to Australia.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/kano-kroil-8-ounce-penetrating-oil-/110647232581

Alan

Thank you, Alan. I have paid for two bottles......Postage is twice the unit price......now to see if they make it through !

ecomeat

#12 Postby ecomeat » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:16 am

Craig McGowan wrote:Tony,

Shouldn't you be resting?

McGoo, there is only so much resting that one can do.
Confined to the house doing NOTHING for the first 6 weeks post op can be extraordinarily tiring.
After re-reading every "gun book" in my collection I will start measuring and sorting projectiles for batching, and weighing/batching brass.
I have already discovered that Bergers are already pretty bloody tight tolerances on base to olive measurements.
By the end of the 6 weeks, I will probably be batching primers ! :-k :-k

AlanF

#13 Postby AlanF » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:56 am

Once you're done with primers, those pesky powder kernels vary alarmingly in both length and diameter. :D

ecomeat

#14 Postby ecomeat » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:23 am

I had an email stating it was posted, plus a USPS tracking number less than an hour after I paid , so I guess I can only say that it's off to a good start !

DMC

#15 Postby DMC » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:53 am

Fingers crossed !
I'll be interested to see it come in, i might be after some here as well
Hopefully you'll have it in a week or two

Darren
:D

Return to “Equipment & Technical”