Pillars and epoxy, glue-in or V-block?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

DenisA

Pillars and epoxy, glue-in or V-block?

#1 Postby DenisA » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:54 pm

Hi all,

Im interested to know, from your own personal experiences, do you prefer one method of bedding over another and why?

Cheers, Denis.

ecomeat

#2 Postby ecomeat » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:32 pm

Denis,
My gunsmith is a benchrester, and apparently most of them use Glue in, so mine is a glue job.
It is more accurate than me, so no complaints about results, but it IS a pain in the a_##e to not be able to separate the action at will. I remember seeing a story on Shiraz Balolica, the US F Class captain, on accurateshooter and a photo of the neat little Pelican case that he could fit everything into with the barreled action separated from the stock. The Pelican that I have is that damned long it won't fit sideways or longways in the back of my Isuzu Ute and will surely be a brute of a thing to fly to Tasmania with.
Most benchresters apparently believe that (1) a proper glue in bedding job simply has to be perfect bedding.....and that (2) there are vast numbers of rifles with imperfect bedding.
Keen to hear which way you roll !
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

Cameron Mc

#3 Postby Cameron Mc » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:37 pm

ecomeat wrote:Denis,
Most benchresters apparently believe that (1) a proper glue in bedding job simply has to be perfect bedding.....and that (2) there are vast numbers of rifles with imperfect bedding.
Keen to hear which way you roll !

Tony / Denis, I am not a benchrester, but on the bedding subject I totally agree.

Cam

johnk

#4 Postby johnk » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:39 pm

Back before I started shooting Millenniums (Millennia?), I used to have blocks made up from 1" x 1½" aluminium, inlet & glue them into the stock & expoxy bed on them. Action screws pulled up straight onto the bottom of the block (via hardened washers).

Never been able to see the point of pillars, except maybe weight. Sure they stop the wood of the stock being compressed, but if/when it warps, they're FA benefit in comparison to the block.

jasmay

#5 Postby jasmay » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:36 am

I think each method has its place.

I like pillars on hunting rifles, especially those that use the floor plate and action as the base points of contact vs. those that only contact the action.

V blocks in my opinion are hard to go past when it comes to rigidity and removeability of the action.

And the bench guys love thier glueins, but I have seen a few now come out, and ts usually at critical times, how frustrating that would be is enough to not go there for me.

bruce moulds

#6 Postby bruce moulds » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:41 am

tony,
if you unscrew the barrel it will also shorten the package,
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

ecomeat

#7 Postby ecomeat » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:48 am

bruce moulds wrote:tony,
bruce.

This is embarrassing........as far as travel goes, I honestly never thought of that ! Now I know that I am senile :oops: :oops:
I just looked at the photo of Shiraz's 300WSM or whatever it was, neatly in a compact little Pelican and was annoyed that I couldn't do the same because mine was glued in. I think my rifle (9.85 kg) and case weigh about 22 kg altogether.
So you are not just a pretty face after all.....
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

bruce moulds

#8 Postby bruce moulds » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:41 am

tony,
i'm not called the magnet for nothing.
bruce.

Cameron Mc

#9 Postby Cameron Mc » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:57 pm

ecomeat wrote:
bruce moulds wrote:tony,
bruce.

This is embarrassing........as far as travel goes, I honestly never thought of that ! Now I know that I am senile :oops: :oops:
I just looked at the photo of Shiraz's 300WSM or whatever it was, neatly in a compact little Pelican and was annoyed that I couldn't do the same because mine was glued in. I think my rifle (9.85 kg) and case weigh about 22 kg altogether.
So you are not just a pretty face after all.....

Tony, you are saved from embarrassment by the fact you are using glue in, two lug actions....it's the way to go 8) 8) 8)
Cam

bruce moulds

#10 Postby bruce moulds » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:54 pm

cam,
guess what?
you just nailed it 8)
bruce.

johnk

#11 Postby johnk » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:19 pm

Cam,

Now Nev seems to be getting his arse into gear again, we all might go that route.

John

Return to “Equipment & Technical”