Changing a Barnard P firing pin spring

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Josh Cox

Changing a Barnard P firing pin spring

#1 Postby Josh Cox » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:27 pm

Perhaps a dumb question: I am trying to change my firing pin spring, I have the bolt pulled apart, how is the firing pin spring held onto the firing pin ?.

There appears to be a grub screw of sorts in the back of the firing pin that would release the lug that is connected to the firing pin spring ( yeh yeh, I'm sure there is a name for it :) ).

If it is a grub screw, righty tighty, left loosey ?

KHGS

#2 Postby KHGS » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:09 pm

The lug thing is called a cocking piece, this is threaded onto the firing pin. The grub screw in back of the cocking piece is a lock screw. Both these parts are locktited. They must be gently heated to "break" the locktite, do not overheat. When unscrewing the cocking piece be aware that it is under spring tension & can take off at speed. #243 or #222 locktite should be applied on reassembly. The measurement between the washer in front of the cocking piece & the collar on the front end of the firing pin is important to the correct function of the firing pin. If this measurement is incorrect the pin may break or misfiring can result. I hope you can follow these instructions.
Keith H.

Josh Cox

#3 Postby Josh Cox » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:20 pm

Thanks Keith.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”